Who's Cobra was this?

CobraByrd96

Established Member
Hey Fellas!
I need your guys' help in identifying if maybe the previous owner of this 2004 Torch Red Cobra may be on here so that I can reach to get a better understanding of what has been done to this vehicle.

Short back story: Like most of you, I have always wanted to get my hands on an 03/04 cobra as this too, believe or not, is my Dream car. Ever since I saw these things first hand at car meets back in the day, nothing to me has looked and sounded more sexier and mean at the same time then these beauties. Back then, I wasn't able to afford one of these but I was fortunate enough to have gotten my hands on a 96 Cobra with just minor modifications (LTs, 3in dumps, RAI, etc.). Absolutely loved the car but I always wanted the 03/04 Cobra. Well 2008 rolled around and due to unfortunate events, I had to let the 96 go. Since then, I have never owned another mustang until now. I was presented with the opportunity to finally purchase this 2004 so I jumped at it after having saved up some money. However, this was not the most ideal or smartest purchase I had ever made but after 14 years of driving around in cars that I don't particularly hate but they just don't excite me, I had to make a move in one form or another and I said the hell with it, why not. Enough back story let me get to the point.

Now for my predicament, I have no history of this car besides the carfax I was shown through the dealer. For the most part, I bought the car with the least amount of knowledge on the car as the dealership had no history on the car and the mechanic who 'looked it over' does not work for them anymore. Like I said, this wasn't the smartest purchase I have ever made by far. What I know, the car has a gen1(?) 2.3L Whipple, 3.1 RR upper, JMS Powermax BAP, JLT RAI, SCT2600 MAF, Long tubes, Catless xpipe, and thats about all I know.The car resided mostly in Louisiana around the West Monroe and I believe Slidell areas. The car previously had a USMC sticker in the rear window, I'm of course assuming this was a service members vehicle at this point, and some questionable hydro-dipped interior pieces (shown in pics). I guess what I could of just stated from the beginning is.. Does anyone know this Cobra or have previously owned this Cobra that can help me figure out a bit more about its history? I appreciate any info and I apologize for the long post. Some pictures from the dealership attached. Thank you!

P.S. I know the cobra emblems are backwards for whatever reason but the VIN checks out.

Attachments

• Dealership Photo1.jpg
    Dealership Photo1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Dealership Photo2.jpg
    Dealership Photo2.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Dealership Photo3.jpg
    Dealership Photo3.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Dealership Photo5.jpg
    Dealership Photo5.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Dealership Photo8.jpg
    Dealership Photo8.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Dealership Photo18.jpg
    Dealership Photo18.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Dealership Photo19.jpg
    Dealership Photo19.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 139
  • Dealership Photo11.jpg
    Dealership Photo11.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Dealership Photo13.jpg
    Dealership Photo13.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 132

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Are those aftermarket fuel rails? It looks like they really liked that white wire loom. It doesn't look bad in the pics at least.

CobraByrd96

Established Member
Are those aftermarket fuel rails? It looks like they really liked that white wire loom. It doesn't look bad in the pics at least.
Yeah aftermarket fuel rails. Unsure of brand though can't seem to find any markings. Those looms seemed to be pretty popular with the previous owner lol. Some pics of the rails although shes pretty dirty.

20230112_165425.jpg

20230112_170316.jpg

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Not familiar with any previous owners, but what I did to find previous owners on my car was search the VIN on google. You may get lucky and find an old for sale ad on one of the forums.

That's what happened in my case, I found my cars for sale ad on SVTP, and lucky for me, it had a phone number included on the ad. I was also able to read all of the previous owners posts and they basically laid out his entire build.

Are you having any issues? or do you just want to get some background on it?

Also, I see you are located in Jax. I lived there for about 3 years and there is an AWESOME mustang group with a ton of terminators in that area. First Coast Modified Mustangs. Check them out if you haven't already.

There were at least 20 terminators in the area when I was up there.

CobraByrd96

Established Member
Not familiar with any previous owners, but what I did to find previous owners on my car was search the VIN on google. You may get lucky and find an old for sale ad on one of the forums.

That's what happened in my case, I found my cars for sale ad on SVTP, and lucky for me, it had a phone number included on the ad. I was also able to read all of the previous owners posts and they basically laid out his entire build.

Are you having any issues? or do you just want to get some background on it?

Also, I see you are located in Jax. I lived there for about 3 years and there is an AWESOME mustang group with a ton of terminators in that area. First Coast Modified Mustangs. Check them out if you haven't already.

There were at least 20 terminators in the area when I was up there.
For some reason I didn't think to just google the VIN. Great advice as I was able to locate a past posting on here from back in 2012. Now I have a bit more info on it so thank you! Unfortunately, it still leaves a bit of a 11-ish year gap but at least I have a better understanding now. No real issues just wanted a good baseline of the car.

Funny you mentioned FCMM as back when I had the 96 cobra, I joined them and really enjoyed their family like environment. Gregg Sr and Jr iirc were the ones running that group and were very nice people. I remember how jealous I was of their terminators as we rolled out from the events at Pizza joints and the Dealership shows/meetings. Great times indeed. May have to give them a shout once I get things sorted.

CobraByrd96

Established Member
So did a bit more poking around and other than the posting found here on the forums from 2012, I came across this listing a year later. So slowly but surely gathering more info (if the info is assumed to be accurate) but still left with a 10 year gap I would like to fill.
Former Listing from 2013.PNG

LS WUT

Established Member
I remember talking to them, did they ever budge off their ridiculous $30k asking price? I asked for a compression check and they didn’t really want to do that.

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
Personal opinion. She appears to be a bit rough and neglected. Headlights show delamination, reflections of light on the paint areas are not sharp which indicates a major paint correction is needed (if not a respray), seat bolster is janky, and steering wheel is trashed. The engine bay also needs a lot of love when it comes to the blower polish, jank wire loom, and cleaning up areas such as hoses and clamps that appear to be areas that were cheaped out on. Chrome on the wheels appears to be in the initial stages of failing as well. However, it is your money and what you deem is a worth while investment of that money and time. I would absolutely steer clear of the car. There are no telling what gremlins are lurking in there.

CobraByrd96

Established Member
I remember talking to them, did they ever budge off their ridiculous $30k asking price? I asked for a compression check and they didn’t really want to do that.
Not sure. That posting was little over 9 years ago but yeah pretty ridiculous price point.

Personal opinion. She appears to be a bit rough and neglected. Headlights show delamination, reflections of light on the paint areas are not sharp which indicates a major paint correction is needed (if not a respray), seat bolster is janky, and steering wheel is trashed. The engine bay also needs a lot of love when it comes to the blower polish, jank wire loom, and cleaning up areas such as hoses and clamps that appear to be areas that were cheaped out on. Chrome on the wheels appears to be in the initial stages of failing as well. However, it is your money and what you deem is a worth while investment of that money and time. I would absolutely steer clear of the car. There are no telling what gremlins are lurking in there.
She definitely needs loving in the cosmetic department for sure but I am more focused on establishing a history for a baseline and really am only looking to sustain reliability for now. The steering wheel isnt that bad tbh, that picture might just be not a flattering one so I posted another here. I mean its not perfect as it has its wear but I wouldn't call it trashed unless I have extremely low standards.

Dealership Photo17.jpg

LS WUT

Established Member
Not sure. That posting was little over 9 years ago but yeah pretty ridiculous price point.

She definitely needs loving in the cosmetic department for sure but I am more focused on establishing a history for a baseline and really am only looking to sustain reliability for now. The steering wheel isnt that bad tbh, that picture might just be not a flattering one so I posted another here. I mean its not perfect as it has its wear but I wouldn't call it trashed unless I have extremely low standards.

View attachment 1778030
I meant from that dealership. That car was about 4 hours from me or less.

LS WUT

Established Member
Thanks! Me too. I don't plan on any power upgrades for quite some time if at all and only want to focus on reliability, refreshing her up and hopefully filling in some blanks on the 9 year gap.
My best suggestion to you is to start fresh. Swap all fluids, etc. I don’t trust anyone’s word unless I know them and the car. I keep a shoebox for every single car I own with receipts, oil change and fluid logs. That way the buyer has a piece of mind. “No such thing as a wasted part” in my eyes.

CobraByrd96

Established Member
My best suggestion to you is to start fresh. Swap all fluids, etc. I don’t trust anyone’s word unless I know them and the car. I keep a shoebox for every single car I own with receipts, oil change and fluid logs. That way the buyer has a piece of mind. “No such thing as a wasted part” in my eyes.
Agreed. I believe that's just what I'm going to do is try to start fresh. I've already changed most fluids but when all is said and done imma go get her on the dyno to get dialed in. Pretty sure there's a good tune on it atm since she runs pretty good but assuming things is never a good thing to do.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Agreed. I believe that's just what I'm going to do is try to start fresh. I've already changed most fluids but when all is said and done imma go get her on the dyno to get dialed in. Pretty sure there's a good tune on it atm since she runs pretty good but assuming things is never a good thing to do.

If I missed it......

before you "dial it in", get a compression check asap
That is always my requirement before purchase on all my cars

I'm in Savannah, I make trips to Jax from time to time

CobraByrd96

Established Member
If I missed it......

before you "dial it in", get a compression check asap
That is always my requirement before purchase on all my cars

I'm in Savannah, I make trips to Jax from time to time
Definitely! I don't plan on throwing it on the dyno until I can be comfortable enough knowing it can handle it. She runs without a hiccup(hopefully didn't just jinx myself) but definitely don't want to assume anything.

Users who are viewing this thread