Whole Home Generator, give me your 2 cents worth.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We live way back in the woods, everything is above ground for at least the last 5 miles to us. Honestly I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often
Somewhat understandable. When I lived in the Seattle area you never saw above ground utility poles or lines. I moved to Maine and everything is above ground. It was like stepping back in time.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Previous owner/builder of our house put in a 22kw Generac w/auto transfer switch, runs everything with zero issues. Here in Houston we have a good number of windstorms, heavy rain events, and generally unpleasnt mother nature shenanigans. Just this year we've been without power for over a week cumulatively, mostly due to the freak winter storm back in February and Hurricane Nicholas. Only thing I'm changing is upgrading the 250 gallon propane tank to a 500.

Sent from my SM-P610 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, this could be all for naught. I've been calling around trying to find one. Seems there are no generators available anywhere.

**** Biden

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Had 16kw put in in June 2020, NG, auto transfer, it's own gas line.
Less than a month after the install, it ran for 31 hours.
Total cost was less than 10K. I bought thru Home Depot & @ the time Generac was offering a free 10 year warranty.
................I think their current ad has a 7 year free warranty
When the yearly hurricane starts, it's one less thing I have to worry about..

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Which ones are the quietest?
Relative to what? Ours is real quiet because it is on the corner of the house that has the garage and the garage pretty much eliminates any nose from getting into the house.
I have been tempted to build a insulated but ventilated box around the generator to dampen the noise further. If you are standing outside the house it is noticeable but not necessarily annoying. I have heard a lot louder generators at the race track. Some of those are stupid loud.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I use generators at my regen sites, Kohler and generac are great. My grandma had a generac in her home on natural gas(mobile al) and it worked great! Even had an outlet for the neighbors to plug into. Maintenance and services costs would be my biggest concerns. Either yearly or every 6months and have a battery tender wired in for it. Can’t go wrong with either

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

lethe

Established Member
My company used Generac without issue for a few years. We switched to cummins because there wasn't any local support from Generac. It sounds like a non issue for you though if you had a rep come out and quote it.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, Generac is well represented out here.

From my research of the generators I'm looking at (Generac, Kohler and Cummins) the Kohler was the quietest.

I've found it more difficult to get info and prices on Kohler and Cummins. This may be by design to get you to call a dealer. I'd prefer not to call a dealer if I don't have to.

**** Biden

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, Generac is well represented out here.

From my research of the generators I'm looking at (Generac, Kohler and Cummins) the Kohler was the quietest.

I've found it more difficult to get info and prices on Kohler and Cummins. This may be by design to get you to call a dealer. I'd prefer not to call a dealer if I don't have to.

**** Biden
Just to emphasize about the noise level, this bastard is loud! I'm glad we didn't put it close to the gas main which is by our master bedroom.

jshen

Established Member
Abosolutely necessary is a (1) Brushless system, alternative fuels, "water cooled" generator..and oil pressure system. Anything else is a one Hurricane fix....I know where I am at...and am working to fix it. Looking at liquid cooled generators they are 2-3 times the price...

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I put a Generac in 7 years ago. It was the best damn thing I ever bought for my house. I live in Penn's Woods a 1/4 mile off the road on a heavily wooded lot which is off a back road that's off a back road, that's off a back road. When Sandy came through some people around here were out for 3 weeks.
I also have two 500 gallons tanks so I can sit up here in the woods for a long time.
Installation cost me $1200 for the electrician and the propane company installed the line, regulator and converted it to LPG for free. I just had to buy the unit and install a concrete pad.

Users who are viewing this thread