Whole Home Generator, give me your 2 cents worth.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
The question is not whether to get one or not, It's more of a comparison study and which way to go. I had a 13kw on our last home that I installed, in the dark, during a power outage that lasted 2 weeks.

Fast forward to the new house. We built this house and have been in it for a year now. Have always planned on installing a generator which is why I had a very large gas meter/regulator installed. The other day I had a guy come out and give me a quote on installing a 24kw (21kw on NG) generator. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, but $22k for a generator and install is ridiculous.

So that brings me here asking the question, Generac (which I had at the old house), Kohler or some other brand? What's your experience and opinion?

The company that gave me the quote is a Generac dealer. When I asked him what the difference was between his $15k generator and the $4k generator at Costco, he kind of gave some double talk BS and I wasn't really sold. Needless to say, at $22k, I'll be installing my own generator.

rborden

Established Member
Generac just released a new 26kwH generator. Enough to power everything in your home.

The 22kwH was running around $7K delivered and installed but I think that special isnt running anymore. It runs off natural gas. Not sure if that is an option for you. You’ll need an electrician and a plumber and most likely city/county or state permits and inspection.

22kW (LPG) / 19.5kW (NG) Guardian Air-Cooled Standby Generator

Protects your home and family during a power outage

Includes Mobile Link Wi-Fi Remote Monitoring*

Monitor generator status on a smart phone, tablet or PC

*Requires internet connection and wireless router

*Automatic Operation Only*

Fully automatic operation when paired w/ Generac Smart Switch (Not Included)

5-Year Limited Warranty

Plus 24/7-365 Customer Support

Have your questions answered when it's convenient for you

Generac's G-Force Engine

Specifically designed for the demanding environment standby generators endure

Full pressure lubrication system w/ 2 year oil change interval

Operates On Clean Burning, Efficient Natural Gas or LP (Vapor)

Connects to your existing LP or natural gas fuel supply

True Power Electrical Technology

Less than 5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) for utility grade power

Automatic Digital Voltage Regulation (+/-1%)
Allows for faster response time & maximum motor starting ability

Evolution 2.0 Digital Controller

Multilingual, 2-Line LCD display for simple, straightforward operation

Programmable-exerciser lets you set how often & what time generator will self-test

Quiet-Test Self-Test Mode

Low RPM, 5 or 12 minute test for reduced noise and fuel consumption

Tough, Durable All-Aluminum Sound

Attenuated Enclosure

RhinoCoat powder-coated finish keeps enclosure protected from the elements
Installation Flexibility*

Can be installed within 18" of a building; *Always check local building codes

Generac Standby Generators & Engines - Built In The USA*

Built in the USA using domestic & foreign parts
Additional Features:

Flexible fuel line and Direct-To-Dirt composite mounting pad

Built-in Battery Charger (Battery Sold Separately)

f91d484b795a031e0dfb352a61817699.jpg

The 26kwH is listed at $6,799 but doesnt include shipping, install or permits. But that’s helluva lot better than $22K

Edit: call Generac directly. You can also shop around on ebay and get free delivery. If you have a plumber and electrician give you quotes, you should be able to get it done much cheaper than what you were quoted.

04svtsnke

Established Member
Generac just released a new 26kwH generator. Enough to power everything in your home.

The 22kwH was running around $7K delivered and installed but I think that special isnt running anymore. It runs off natural gas. Not sure if that is an option for you. You’ll need an electrician and a plumber and most likely city/county or state permits and inspection.

22kW (LPG) / 19.5kW (NG) Guardian Air-Cooled Standby Generator

Protects your home and family during a power outage

Includes Mobile Link Wi-Fi Remote Monitoring*

Monitor generator status on a smart phone, tablet or PC

*Requires internet connection and wireless router

*Automatic Operation Only*

Fully automatic operation when paired w/ Generac Smart Switch (Not Included)

5-Year Limited Warranty

Plus 24/7-365 Customer Support

Have your questions answered when it's convenient for you

Generac's G-Force Engine

Specifically designed for the demanding environment standby generators endure

Full pressure lubrication system w/ 2 year oil change interval

Operates On Clean Burning, Efficient Natural Gas or LP (Vapor)

Connects to your existing LP or natural gas fuel supply

True Power Electrical Technology

Less than 5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) for utility grade power

Automatic Digital Voltage Regulation (+/-1%)
Allows for faster response time & maximum motor starting ability

Evolution 2.0 Digital Controller

Multilingual, 2-Line LCD display for simple, straightforward operation

Programmable-exerciser lets you set how often & what time generator will self-test

Quiet-Test Self-Test Mode

Low RPM, 5 or 12 minute test for reduced noise and fuel consumption

Tough, Durable All-Aluminum Sound

Attenuated Enclosure

RhinoCoat powder-coated finish keeps enclosure protected from the elements
Installation Flexibility*

Can be installed within 18" of a building; *Always check local building codes

Generac Standby Generators & Engines - Built In The USA*

Built in the USA using domestic & foreign parts
Additional Features:

Flexible fuel line and Direct-To-Dirt composite mounting pad

Built-in Battery Charger (Battery Sold Separately)

f91d484b795a031e0dfb352a61817699.jpg

The 26kwH is listed at $6,799 but doesnt include shipping, install or permits. But that’s helluva lot better than $22K

Edit: call Generac directly. You can also shop around on ebay and get free delivery. If you have a plumber and electrician give you quotes, you should be able to get it done much cheaper than what you were quoted.
Exactly this. I had a coworker that just had one installed and his all in was 9500. Guy was a sub contractor who does side work for generac. All cash offer helped as well.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
The largest limiting factor is fuel and or fuel supply. Sure a 22k generator would be nice for up to a week or two, but running for two weeks would cost you nearly 3 thousand in propane and just over 3I in diesel. If you have that money and the means to make sure it can get filled indulge yourself.
Do your research on fuel consumption on the units you are interested in and the ability to get said fuel. Dont take for granted you can get said fuel.
Natural gas is the best choice if available. Propane is the second and diesel third. Gasoline forth.

500 gallons only lasting one week at 1/2 draw is a no go for my family. I designed our main house with a fireplace on the main floor and a Timberline wood stove that will heat the house and water all winter. Our family is conditioned to live long term comfortably on 3500 watt gen at 4gal a day...... think about that. And if shit really hit the fan we could still manage with less then 2 gallons a day to enjoy luxuries.

Again! The choice should be made with fuel consumption in mind. PLUS your ability to acquire fuel.

My wife says I'm a prepper and this is just the tip of our experience with supplemental electric. We could do without, but that's a lot more work.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'd find an old 30kw Onan with a Ford 300 I6, or a 20kw Onan with an old Ford 2.3L. Those will run forever, are easy to work on, and have less proprietary parts that will be more difficult to find/replace in the future.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We had thought about a whole house being in the hurricane state. Just not worth it based on how long we're w/o electric. I have a portable big enough to run the critical stuff that I have a separate plug for.

Same here, most we've ever been without power (which was after a hurricane [which is thankfully always followed by a high pressure system {which means cooler temps}]) was 18 hours.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You are definitely going to want to weigh the cost/benefit if you decide to go with a large generator. Bear in mind, too, that natural gas and propane prices are expected to go through the roof this winter. In New England, propane gas on 10/4/21 was averaging $3.37. On 11/8/21 it was up to $3.54.

A friend of mine had a whole house system installed at around $15K a few years ago. During that time, he probably used it for 24hr.+ outages maybe twice. He uses propane. I considered installing one, but the cost/benefit ratio just didn't make sense. Still doesn't. And if propane becomes in short supply and you run out, that whole house system suddenly is useless. Or the cost for propane could be prohibitive. We're probably going to see propane prices (and natural gas prices) well above $4.00 a gallon this winter, once demand increases. A year ago, the national average was $2.72 at this time for propane.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
We have a Generac unit that runs our home in Michigan. I’d have to look to see the KW, but when we have an outage it does a great job of running the house with an active and tech riven family of 4. Our house is about 3,500 square feet ranch (including a finished basement).

I actually found my Generac at a hardware store in northern Michigan has an open box clearance item. Asked the associate if the warranty was registered and them confirmed it wasn’t with Generac. Ended up only paying $4,000 for it and my uncle installed it for me. Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

I’ll double check the Kw size once home and post it for your information. Also, for what it’s worth, majority of the sub I live in have automatic generators and everyone of them is a Generac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

railroad

Established Member
Buy a Generac. I have a 22 or 24KW cannot remember. I run it on propane, NG not available.
I think I paid 17K for everything. I have 2 200 amp panels, so needed 2 200 amp transfer panels.
2 heat pumps for HVAC and never had a problem.
I think you can save some money, buying from a internet discount site and contracting or self installing.
I built and wired my house, was all set to do the install myself, but talked myself into paying to have it done.
Just whether you have the time and feel comfortable possibly working it hot.
My generator is really frugal on propane.
My installer put a drop out on one of my heat pumps. If the load on the gen gets too high, everything in the house total electric, 2 water heaters etc, it will drop out one of the heat pumps, until load is reduced. Hope this info helps.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had a Generac 24KW on my last house. All in was $16,500 installed.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
That's a lot of money for a little inconvenience. Not sure what part of the country you are in or if you experience power outages often? Do you guys really need to run the whole house or could you get by with turning some things off in order to run your water heater or stove for a short time. The smaller the unit the less gas it requires and the less the purchase price is.

I have a 5k gas/propane for some stuff and a 2200 suit case for the fridge. The 2200 will run all night on 1.5 gallons. We are a little put out sometimes but it is rare and almost never in the winter which helps I guess.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a lot of money for a little inconvenience. Not sure what part of the country you are in or if you experience power outages often? Do you guys really need to run the whole house or could you get by with turning some things off in order to run your water heater or stove for a short time. The smaller the unit the less gas it requires and the less the purchase price is.

I have a 5k gas/propane for some stuff and a 2200 suit case for the fridge. The 2200 will run all night on 1.5 gallons. We are a little put out sometimes but it is rare and almost never in the winter which helps I guess.
It was worth it to me for the 4-5 days a year we lost power.

Sent from my Potato

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
My parents had a 20kW installed about two years ago for around $8500 all-in. It's a Cummins (I'm not kidding) with auto start, weekly automatic testing, and runs on natural gas. They bought it through the local heavy equipment repair shop. Has worked perfectly since day one.

We're in hurricane country. The last time I lost power was during Florence...10 days of 95° and 90+% humidity. Whew.

Users who are viewing this thread