Who Serves? No Surprise

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
My dad was a WW2 vet, myself and 2 brothers, 1 nephew & 2 nieces and my son serve(d).

Who Signs Up to Fight? Makeup of U.S. Recruits Shows Glaring Disparity

…..More and more, new recruits are the children of old recruits. In 2019, 79 percent of Army recruits reported having a family member who served. For nearly 30 percent, it was a parent — a striking point in a nation where less than 1 percent of the population serves in the military.…..

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My grabdfsther, dad, uncles. None of us were.smart.enough for the airforce. We.have Army, Navy, Marines all.covered.

I am trying to let my kids know our family has done its share and there is zero pressure to join and no shame not to join. My goal is for them to study hard and that there are other ways to serve your nation or community other than military.

Recon

Established Member
Two great uncles served in WW2, grandfather during Korea but wasn’t in Korea, uncle in desert storm, cousin in Iraq, father honorably discharged from the Air Force due to injury. Those are the ones I know of.

Pick your poison.

ajaf1656

Established Member
My grandfather on my mom's side was in the 101st Airborne, my father and his father were Navy. I served in the Air Force. I just wish politicians were as devoted to getting veterans what they've already promised as they are to promising "free" crap everyone else including illegal aliens.

SSCOBRA03

Established Member
My dad in the Air Force during the Korean war, an uncle in the Air Force and my other uncle in the navy. I was in the Army during the mid 80s.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I served for 8 yrs

I understand now why only certain people sign up

Being willing to die for your country and willing to kill for your country

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Both my grandpas were in the army for WW2, one in Signal Corp and the other a side gunner on a bomber. I was army, and 3 of my nephews joined(2 navy and 1 marine). I am proud of my nephews that joined and served!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraG

Established Member
Both parents were military, my dad was Army for 4 years, got out for a few years then went Air Force. My mom joined the Air Force at the same time, so I was born Army, raised Air Force. My aunt and uncle were both Army.
Mom retired after serving 20 yrs, my dad did 15 yrs and took money to separate. Aunt and Uncle were both medically discharged (I believe).
I retired from the Air Force in 2017, after 21 years of service. Wife retired from the Air Force in 2019 after 20 years.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Both my grandfathers were mechanics in the Air Force. My dad was in the Army for 20 years. Then I served in the Army for 22 years. Retired in 2007. I ended up getting divorced after 10 years of service and then got remarried. Both of my step kids joined ROTC in high school and decided for themselves that the military was not for them.

I recruited for the Army in a Non-military town (meaning there was no base there and the population grew up with no direct link to the military). What I learned is people join the military for 3 main reasons:

1) They have some form of familial ties to the military and sign up kind of like going in to the family business (kind of like most who posted here including me).
2) They have some fascination with the military and grew up with a desire to serve (i.e. seen a movie or heard or story or read a book, etc.). kind of like CobraBob's post.
3) They feel they have no where else to turn (college didn't pan out; desired career path didn't pan out (i.e. they failed to get accepted to the police academy or something) or they got into trouble with the law or a gang situation). So, they join the military because their other choices or ideas didn't work out.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Glenn, in my case I had a rough childhood. My dad was really tough, to the point I had to get out of the house. College at that time was out, and we were in the midst of the war with Viet Nam. I had no relatives who had served except for one uncle who served in WW2. Nobody in my family at that time was serving. I just came to a place where I thought serving my country was the most positive direction to move forward in. So I joined the Navy. Never regretted it. I was injured one month after reporting to the aircraft carrier I was assigned to in Long Beach (ammo moving detail). I severed two tendons on my right hand and cut right through an artery. Blood was literally spurting 6" into the air through a 3" gaping hole in my hand (top portion). After being sent to the Naval Hospital for surgery I was in a cast for a month. I still have motion limitation with two fingers and occasional pain. I'm classified with a 30% disability by the government.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Glenn, in my case I had a rough childhood. My dad was really tough, to the point I had to get out of the house. College at that time was out, and we were in the midst of the war with Viet Nam. I had no relatives who had served except for one uncle who served in WW2. Nobody in my family at that time was serving. I just came to a place where I thought serving my country was the most positive direction to move forward in. So I joined the Navy. Never regretted it. I was injured one month after reporting to the aircraft carrier I was assigned to in Long Beach (ammo moving detail). I severed two tendons on my right hand and cut right through an artery. Blood was literally spurting 6" into the air through a 3" gaping hole in my hand (top portion). After being sent to the Naval Hospital for surgery I was in a cast for a month. I still have motion limitation with two fingers and occasional pain. I'm classified with a 30% disability by the government.

Thank you for your service Bob! Sorry to hear about your situation. So, you technically fall into my category #3 then ( I left out home situation not desirable). I technically fall into category 1 and 3. My dad served and I went to his organization days and seen what he did and thought to myself "I would like to do that." Also, since my dad was gone a lot my mom felt like she had to be the disciplinarian. She was a pain in my _____. So, I couldn't wait to get out of the house.

Not saying my situation was like yours, but I can relate to your statement.

SGT MERC

Established Member
I'm my case, I grew up in a very abusive and disfunctional household... I couldn't wait to get away. I hated school, but graduated. I took the ASVAB and scored a 129, which was very good in 1986. I could have any job I wanted in any branch of service, but wanted to be in the Marines, infantry and did 6 years.
When I graduated HS in 1986, 26 Marines from my family history, 2 Navy and 1 AF had served all the way back to WW1, maybe more earlier, but I could only confirm to 1910. I had to get out after 6 yrs, and got an honorable discharge with an RE code of 1A. I couldn't re-inlist for medical reasons, due to injuries. My son is now in the Navy, in his 3rd and final class for Nuke Power School.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I served for 8 yrs

I understand now why only certain people sign up

Being willing to die for your country and willing to kill for your country

Yeah man, I concur. I was draft age for Vietnam, I almost got selected by the lottery system, but avoided it by luck. I use the word "luck" because even at the tender age of 19 I could sense that Vietnam was a futile engagement. Now, if I had been of age on December 7, 1941... well, I woulda been at the recruitment office on December 8.

I totally respect all who serve for whatever reason. You folks are the real heroes!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

-

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Reach out to the DAV. You should be getting a lot more than 30%.

Both of my grandfathers served. One Army and one Marine. I think my dad was national guard. For me, I'm a result of the Top Gun generation. I wanted to fly F-14's, but made some poor choices that caused that not to happen. I still went in as enlisted for reasons like Glenn mentioned. Honestly I wouldn't be where I am if I hadn't served.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Yeah man, I concur. I was draft age for Vietnam, I almost got selected by the lottery system, but avoided it by luck. I use the word "luck" because even at the tender age of 19 I could sense that Vietnam was a futile engagement. Now, if I had been of age on December 7, 1941... well, I woulda been at the recruitment office on December 8.

I totally respect all who serve for whatever reason. You folks are the real heroes!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

-
I remember that lottery, my birthday came up in the 1st round.
Had I not already signed papers to go in the Navy under the delayed entry program, I might have been in the Army..

Users who are viewing this thread