who rides motorcycles and what do you ride?

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Never had a motorcycle. Road dirt bikes as a kid. Never raced them, just trail riding. Been 20 years ago. I'm thinking of getting a used CBR600 to just basically mess around town on at first. I don't see myself going 100mph on the highway weaving in and out of cars but I guess it depends how fast I can learn and what i feel comfortable doing.

Any advice for a newbie and what do you guys/gals ride and what did you start on? I don't really want to waste my time with a 250 since I won't go buck crazy on a 600 at first but that should allow me to grow into it. Harley would be nice but I feel like they would be harder to ride than a sport bike..Sure would be fun to just go rip the backroads today on a bike

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
My first bike was a CBR900RR. Not too many years later I got another CBR900RR and completely rebuilt the bike. Everything was made from carbon fiber or aluminum. The engine was bored and stroked, the head was ported and polished, and I ran the largest carbs available. The short wheelbase and light weight made that bike scary. It did find it's way into a few publications. I will have to see where my wife has this stuff stored so I can show the beast off.

After my CBR phase I picked up a Hayabusa.

At the moment I don't have any two wheeled toys. I sold the Hayabusa to buy a new one and never got around to it. I also sold my dragbike (another Hayabusa) and trailer.

I prefer sportbikes over cruisers. Then again, I like performance, and I will scrub the floorboards off of a cruiser. I'm not a Harley fan at all.

As for the 600; don't let the small liter size decieve you. That little thing is quick, and it will kill you just as fast as a liter bike, or super bike.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

choate

Established Member
As for the 600; don't let the small liter size decieve you. That little thing is quick, and it will kill you just as fast as a liter bike, or super bike.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I know. I've ridden on the back of one when I was like 16 with my buddys older brother. We hit 155 and I was so scared but felt so alive. I'm a cautious person and pretty much try to avoid risk but that memory has stuck with me and made me want one ever since. I doubt I'd even get on the highway for a very long time. The sound of a 15k red line is something amazing though isn't it

Recon

Established Member
Got my 02 Honda VTX1800 in January of last year, but I still haven’t ridden it yet. I’m not a two wheel guy, but this was the first bike I saw that I liked.
Everything I’ve read and have been told is you don’t need to start out on a big boy bike for the first one. Something small, learn the basics and then after some experience you can move up to a big boy bike. I didn’t listen though.

Pick your poison.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Rode a couple buddies 600s in college

My first bike was a 2013 Ninja 1000, and I’m skinny (140lbs). All about self control. I ride a 2015 R1 now.

However, if i were to do it again, i would do exactly as you suggest. Get a used 600 that’s been laid down (so you don’t really care about it’s aesthetics) and learn the motorcycle. Don’t push your limits, but if you drop it, it won’t ruin your month.

Ride for a year or two and sell for damn near what you paid for it.

4E681DAD-E96C-4C7A-A008-170E817CDA20.jpeg

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Working on a project bike with a good buddy, an old 04 CBR 600RR. I got the bike from another buddy who used it solely for track days, needs a lot of TLC, but runs and drives.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve had two GSXR 600’s and the times I rode them were the greatest times in my life. The 600cc is plenty of power and you can ride wheelies for days on it.
The unfortunate thing about sport bikes is they make you do dumb shit. They are so agile and peppy that it’s addicting to play around with them. Ok, maybe these aren’t unfortunate things.
My best advice, take a rider safety course. I know it’s lame, but it by far made me a better rider and I don’t think I would have been able to ride without crashing if I didn’t take that course. And ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET NO MATTER WHAT

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Rode for over 40 years on different bikes. Last one was a Yamaha FJ1200 that I finally sold some years ago. If you are going to ride on the streets remember EVERYONE is out to kill you. Defensive riding is the word of the day. I have been hit a couple of time and somehow lived through it. Cage drivers just do not look for you.

bglf83

Established Member
Started on a Kawasaki 80 cc dirt bike early on. My first road bike was a Honda nighthawk. My fast bike was a Honda 919. I ride a Harley Roadking now.

My advice would be to stay away from mini vans and wear proper gear.

Do not buy a 250 if you rode on a dirt bike previously.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Some good advice here. Do yourself a huge favor and take a 20 hour weekend MSF Basic Rider Course to learn the fundamentals and to gain the knowledge of proper riding technique. Every rider, new and seasoned, can benefit from taking the safety course.

You will learn on 200-250cc motorcycles, mostly Honda's and Yamaha's. The training bikes are generally for "M" class licensing but too small for highway riding, 600cc is ideal for a new rider. For new and lesser experienced riders Harley's weigh too much and are too top heavy. Don't scrimp on the gear especially a well armoured jacket and correct fitting helmet and riding boots.

Intersections are the #1 area of 2 vehicle accidents (generally a left hand turn is involved) and curves are the second place riders fall. A good MSF Ridercoach will teach you more in 20 hours than you will ever learn from riding friends with years of experience. They will teach you the correct terminology and motorcycle techniques in the classroom and on a controlled environment on the range.

Rubber down shiney side up!

phillycobra99

Established Member
Started on a Honda CBR 600 F4i, went to a Harley-Davidson Sportster and now on a 2017 Harley-Davidson Street Glide.

I had my fun on the sportbike, but wouldn't go back to one after owning a Harley. The sportbike was a blast to fly around on short rides, but terrible on any kind of long distance riding.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I road several friends' bikes off and on but the first bike I actually owned was a '00 Busa. Had a few GSXR 1000's and finally an '08 Busa. They're all gone now though. I no longer ride. Just too many distracted drivers on the road with their faces buried in their phones. I almost get sideswiped constantly in my full size truck daily so I don't take the chance on 2 wheels any more.

choate

Established Member
I understand the distracted driver. I have finally learned how to drive in FW TX. Come to light. Stop. Look at phone. Leave once someone honks. Big delays. Repeat

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MG01GT

Established Member
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 600 in any brand. Realistically speaking you can wad up a 600 just as fast as a 1000. With that said, find the one that fits you In the saddle and as ergonomically as possible. Second and most importantly.... dress for the slide not the ride. There is no premium on your skull and skin. Spend the money on your dome peice and your leathers. Cause as many others will say, it's not a matter of if.... it's when you go down. Don't take the risk dude.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
Hmmm... Great question, there's plenty of bikes out there to choose from

I'm an avid rider, so is my lady

Our latest has been our fav and I've had quite a few. Currently we ride a CVO Road Glide Ultra

Sent from that shiny thing in my hands

choate

Established Member
Working on a project bike with a good buddy, an old 04 CBR 600RR. I got the bike from another buddy who used it solely for track days, needs a lot of TLC, but runs and drives.

I actually like the first gen models better looks wise. The best one I've ever seen was a red and black 03 with yellow lettering. I think it was an 03. The 1st year they were ever made

CV355

_
Established Member
I have a Harley Roadster 1200. Previously, I owned a Triumph Speed Triple R 1050, an SV650, and a V-Star 650. Aside from a minor bump and many near-misses, I've never been in a motorcycle accident.

1) A 650 V-twin is fine to start on, honestly. Even an 883 v-twin would be fine. It's the 100+hp bikes that can get you in trouble power-wise as a beginner
2) Resist the temptation to hold in the clutch to coast OR going around tight curves
3) Downshifting at the wrong time and too high an rpm jump is more dangerous than just ham-fisting the throttle
4) Avoid changing gears in a curve. Avoid hitting the brakes in a curve. Honestly, don't do shit during a curve. If you have to do anything, you did something wrong.
5) ATGATT isn't just some dumb-sounding acronym. With the exception of 3 people, everyone I know that rides a bike has been in an accident. Several died. Those wearing gear had fewer stitches/skin grafts. I know some idiots who refuse to wear a helmet- wish they were denied insurance, honestly. A helmet saved my mother's life 17 years ago- she low-sided and slid helmet-first into a curb.
6) Keep a zip-loc bag in your jacket- if it rains, throw your wallet and phone in it. Thank me later
7) Cold weather comes with surprises- visor fogs up, loss of fine motor skills, etc. Treat your visor with anti-fog, and invest in heated grips or bar muffs if you plan on doing any cold weather riding. I rode in 7f weather one time because my car was in the shop. Ho-lee-crap was it cold. I pulled over and shoved my gloves on the exhaust just to regain feeling in them. I have heated grips now and LOVE them.
8) Road paint (lines, etc) and tar snakes are slippery as all hell in the rain
9) If you **** up, shift up. If you ever hit a false neutral, SHIFT UP. If you forget what gear you're in after you pull the clutch, SHIFT UP. It's far better to slowly let out the clutch and watch the rpms drop a little (Can be corrected) than downshifting, letting out the clutch, watching the rpms jump and your back tire skid.
10) Grip the bars as lightly as possible while still maintaining control. Don't put too much weight on them. You want your inputs to be as SMOOTH as possible
11) Two fingers on the brakes. Unless you have ABS, the "two finger" rule helps you avoid overpowering the brakes and locking up your front wheel. Also, it's taught that you should use both front and brakes simultaneously for the most control.
12) Dragging the rear brake at low speed helps keep tension on your belt/chain and helps with stability
13) NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER hit the front brakes if you start to lose balance at low speed. EVER. Rear brake only.
14) Confidence builds before skill- conscious decisions don't get you in as much trouble as subconscious decisions. What do I mean by that? If you have a brainfart... (forget what gear you're in, kick down too many times by accident, hold the throttle during a shift for some damn reason...) The first time you inadvertently pull a wheelie while going around a corner... The first time you tear the feeler off a peg... The first time some dumbass pulls out in front of you.... GENTLE motions will save your life. Instinctively, you'll want to jerk the bars and brakes. Bad. Gentle is far better.
15) Be prepared for stupidity. Near-misses are inevitable. Every accident is avoidable. Never be the 1st one through an intersection, avoid blind-spots, flash your brakes when approaching a stop/red-light, get a strobe relay if you want, visibility is important...

Man I could go on for hours.

Users who are viewing this thread