Who rents a storage unit?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So I'm going to check out another storage unit today. I looked at a different one a few days ago.

I live in a small town of 13,xxx people. The one I'm going to look at is 24 hour access. It has security cameras, pest control, and insulated units. It's a 10x25. Cost is 95 per month or 85 per month if I sign a contract for 1 year.

My reasoning for wanting a storage unit.

1) Start making space in my current garage, I plan on building a new garage within a couple years. And frankly, I'm running out of room in my single stall.

2) This spring/summer I'll be looking into purchasing a foxbody mustang, I'll store it there for the time being.

Here's the one I'll be checking out.

All-Stor Public Storage New Ulm MN

I ordered a Abus padlock which reviews look decent.

ABUS Padlock Diskus® 20 (100102001000)

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I rent a non temperature controlled 10x25 unit in Michigan. This is due to being in the middle of buying a house and needing space for a lot of crap while we rent a small condo. I opted for the cheaper non temperature controlled unit due to the huge cost difference. I pay $110 monthly and the temperature controlled until was $195 monthly.

All that said I sprayed the entire unit with an over the counter pest control spray as well as placed Irish Spring bar soap’s throughout which does a great job of keeping small insects away in turn keeps spiders away.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I have one for my quad, and I was lucky enough to get the access code for 24 hour. I don't have enough room in my garage either. The only thing I'm not fond of are the rates just seem to be always going up.

velocicaur

Established Member
We've had a few different locations now for snowmobiles.

Obviously you'll want insurance for it. Homeowner's insurance generally covers a bit for storage units but I would definitely check it out. If you rent, you would get renter's insurance like you do for your apartment.

We set up a few mouse traps just in case. I would get something for bugs too.

The one thing that is annoying is lighting. The parking lot themselves are generally dark - especially if you're at a place with rows of storage units. It looks like that one has a light in the unit which is a bonus but it's still minimal light such a large room. I'd definitely recommend getting a really good flashlight if you're going to be going there at night. Truck headlights only do so much.

This is specific for our situation but you might need something to clear out the snow. The plow only got so close and then it sort of packs it against the door. It's hard pack snow and a pain in the ass. We found out the hard way. It's just something to keep in mind being in Minnesota. Actually, I would check the doors after a fresh snow. Are they cleaned out? If they are then someone care's enough to pay someone to do it. I'd get a unit there. I think that would be an easy way to pick between a few places given that it's winter.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
We've had a few different locations now for snowmobiles.

Obviously you'll want insurance for it. Homeowner's insurance generally covers a bit for storage units but I would definitely check it out. If you rent, you would get renter's insurance like you do for your apartment.

We set up a few mouse traps just in case. I would get something for bugs too.

The one thing that is annoying is lighting. The parking lot themselves are generally dark - especially if you're at a place with rows of storage units. It looks like that one has a light in the unit which is a bonus but it's still minimal light such a large room. I'd definitely recommend getting a really good flashlight if you're going to be going there at night. Truck headlights only do so much.

This is specific for our situation but you might need something to clear out the snow. The plow only got so close and then it sort of packs it against the door. It's hard pack snow and a pain in the ass. We found out the hard way. It's just something to keep in mind being in Minnesota. Actually, I would check the doors after a fresh snow. Are they cleaned out? If they are then someone care's enough to pay someone to do it. I'd get a unit there. I think that would be an easy way to pick between a few places given that it's winter.
Some good information. Seem to be playing phone tag with them. I was suppose to check it out today, and I'm waiting for a call back. Doubt it will happen anymore today. Kinda frustrating.

As far as the snow, I drove through there yesterday and they clear it out pretty good.

cbr repsol

Established Member
I had a large unit at extra space storage but they kept hiking the prices up so I was finally done when we got to $200 a month.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Measure the opening of the door because that will be your smallest opening. Definitely get renters insurance if you have anything of real value in there, any one breaking in normally won't mess with a car. They are looking for electronics and quick sell items.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Measure the opening of the door because that will be your smallest opening. Definitely get renters insurance if you have anything of real value in there, any one breaking in normally won't mess with a car. They are looking for electronics and quick sell items.
If I have a car in there I would expect my car insurance to cover it. I'm talking with Grundy about it. But likely I'll have some other things in there. I'll talk with my home owners insurance.

tistan

Established Member
If I have a car in there I would expect my car insurance to cover it. I'm talking with Grundy about it. But likely I'll have some other things in there. I'll talk with my home owners insurance.

I'm pretty sure my Grundy's policy specifies that the car has to be stored at my home.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Here is the one I'm renting, hard to see with the snow. Just needs a good dusting and sweeping.

IMG_20190127_145412812_zpszdre53qr.jpg

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Both times i rented a storage unit. They were both broken into and everything i owned in there stolen. One, was an entire house of furnishings. It would have taken hours and a semi truck both were gated and detectives came up with nothing.

Sent from my LG V30 ThinQ using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
No cameras?

The surveillance cameras at one was completely fake. Fake cameras that didnt work or record. I told the detective it was an inside job. Who else would have known? The other place did not have cameras, so i thought by going with a place that had security. I would be fine. Nope. 1st month i was robbed. Ill never store my crap again.

dom418

Established Member
I rent 2 units to store 2 of my terminators at $129 a month each until I can add another garage onto the house. I hate paying the rent but have no other options

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The surveillance cameras at one was completely fake. Fake cameras that didnt work or record. I told the detective it was an inside job. Who else would have known? The other place did not have cameras, so i thought by going with a place that had security. I would be fine. Nope. 1st month i was robbed. Ill never store my crap again.

Crappy man. I'll mostly be storing a car. I live in a smaller town, hopefully it's safe. Plenty of meth heads all over these days.
I rent 2 units to store 2 of my terminators at $129 a month each until I can add another garage onto the house. I hate paying the rent but have no other options
Hopefully mines temporary until I get a bigger garage. Now I just need another car to put in this unit...

Users who are viewing this thread