Who Recently Left USAA???

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I am wondering if any members have recently left USAA for auto (and home) insurance? If so, are you happy with the new company and would you be willing to PM me the company name?

USAA was recently purchased by PNC bank and it took no time at all for them to screw us.

Evidently, PNC changed USAA's methods of evaluating and billing for risk. They are now refusing to renew our umbrella policy. My home policy went up $2,400 a year with only one claim in 20 years. It was $7,000 in hail damage to the roof, of which they will recover 100% of that and more, over the course of 3 years, if I were to stay with them.

My auto policy went up $3,800 a year. I have had one at fault claim and one moving violation since 1997. And the moving violation was 3 years ago, but they decided to increase my rates this renewal because of it, regardless of the fact that I am +5 points (the highest/best you can get in VA) and I have voluntarily gone to drivers ed classes since then.

I am going to start shopping around, but its always nice to get some firsthand feedback.

TIA,
Spaz

jmsa540

Established Member
I am wondering if any members have recently left USAA for auto (and home) insurance? If so, are you happy with the new company and would you be willing to PM me the company name?

USAA was recently purchased by PNC bank and it took no time at all for them to screw us.

Evidently, PNC changed USAA's methods of evaluating and billing for risk. They are now refusing to renew our umbrella policy. My home policy went up $2,400 a year with only one claim in 20 years. It was $7,000 in hail damage to the roof, of which they will recover 100% of that and more, over the course of 3 years, if I were to stay with them.

My auto policy went up $3,800 a year. I have had one at fault claim and one moving violation since 1997. And the moving violation was 3 years ago, but they decided to increase my rates this renewal because of it, regardless of the fact that I am +5 points (the highest/best you can get in VA) and I have voluntarily gone to drivers ed classes since then.

I am going to start shopping around, but its always nice to get some firsthand feedback.

TIA,
Spaz
Wait...when did this happen??

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
@jmsa540, when did what happen? PNC purchasing USAA or me getting screwed? LOL

I don't know exactly when the purchase happened. I first noticed a letter USAA sent me in November of 2018. The footer said something like "USAA Property and Casualty Insurance Group. A subsidiary of PNC Bank."

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I've been with them since 1991. They suck today and have for about a year... maybe a shade more. It is a very new issue.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Has anybody received any insurance dividends from them lately? I just realized I haven't had one in several years, I've been with them since 2003.

Op, I am planning on talking to a local insurance broker and seeing what savings I can get by bundling home, auto, landlord, and business liability with someone else. Currently I have auto and landlord policies with USAA, and home and windstorm with another company.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I had been with USAA since 1986. I switched to GEICO about 6 years ago. I was shocked to find that I could keep the same coverage and save nearly 60%. Yes, 60%. I was so pissed. I wish that I had looked into the whole "5 minutes could save you 15% or more" so much sooner.

My home owners is with Liberty, via GEICO. I still have a USAA checking account and credit card. I have yet to find another bank that can compete with the interest rate on the CC.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I just joined USAA from State Farm. They cut my policy in half and I already had an account with them so they were the obvious choice for me. Working in auto body for 5 years I dealt with both on collision claims extensively and USAA is much better in that regard than State Farm. State Farm will try and screw you and the shop whenever they can. My brother also works for the state insurance commission and reviews all policies and complaints and he said USAA has a pretty good record. I still have a life insurance and disability policy with State Farm open so if USAA doesn't do me well then I will just switch back and they said they could match or beat the rate USAA gave me. I still switched auto and renters policies though based on my experiences with State Farm.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
* Joined USAA in 1997 when it was only open to NCO's and Officers
* I'm 45, with NO traffic violations
* In 2013, I had a black F150 that spent 3 years outside in the Majave desert. I asked for a second set of eyes (a USSA rep) to come look and see if it was worth to repaint and repair from wind and dust damage. Opted not to and did not file a claim.
* USSA marked me down for filing a claim
* In 2016 I took EVERYTHING else where, except my banking.
* no reward for good driving, just higher rates every renewal

I now have an insurance company that DOES NOT cover DUI's, or high risk drivers.
My Shelby and truck are under Grundy with no mileage limitations / agreed upon value

**** USAA!!

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Been with them since 93, got me curious to check out other insurance companies.
Still receiving dividend checks.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
USAA sucks for insurance. left them even before pnc buyout.

bingo, same here...left several years ago as rates kept creeping up with no tickets, accidents. I went to Liberty Mutual and they basically did the same shit, so I am now with Allstate for our primary cars and got classic for my 99SS.

FWIW I still bank with them, loans etc...

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I quoted around, and they are still much cheaper than everyone else for us.

Home ins thru them is outrageous, but car insurance no.

PIPO

Established Member
After so many bad reviews, I was determine to make the change but Geico wouldn't cover my car in Kansas with NC plates. They said they don't know how USAA does it because it is a state law, not Geico's policy. And that just killed any energy left to shop around. Like others, I also wonder why my rates goes up when I've been with them for 19 years with no traffic violations. I had a car stolen 9 years ago and when I called them to file a claim, I was told that I only had liability, which was true, but I thought I had full coverage. Well, a few months down the road I get a letter saying my rate was going up for that claim...WTF! I had no coverage, why would my rate go up? Of course when I called them they pointed out that it was a mistake. I have everything with them, investments, insurance, savings, checking, CC, etc...

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Damn... sounds like I'm not the only one getting shafted. It seems like being low risk and a loyal customer doesn't pay off.

My wife and I plan o. Closing our credit accounts too. We haven't had any problems on that end, but we're upset enough that we an on cutting all ties.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Progressive Insurance decided to jack my rates $50 a month. Yep, its going to be a fun call this weekend

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I came from American Family Insurance and moved both auto and home to USAA about 3 years ago, since I already had an account with them.

The move actually reduced both my home and auto insurance premiums at the time.

This thread is actually making me think about contacting a local independent agent I know and maybe have him hunt down some better rates for me.

But other than that, I have not been anything but satisfied with all my transactions with USAA.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I came from American Family Insurance and moved both auto and home to USAA about 3 years ago, since I already had an account with them.

The move actually reduced both my home and auto insurance premiums at the time.

This thread is actually making me think about contacting a local independent agent I know and maybe have him hunt down some better rates for me.

But other than that, I have not been anything but satisfied with all my transactions with USAA.

The problem with USAA is they will give you a great rate to switch back from another carrier, but after awhile those 6 mos premiums creep up inexplicably. Never hurts to check rates, my neighbor is an insurance broker, hooked me up.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Damn... sounds like I'm not the only one getting shafted. It seems like being low risk and a loyal customer doesn't pay off.

My wife and I plan o. Closing our credit accounts too. We haven't had any problems on that end, but we're upset enough that we an on cutting all ties.

My homeowner's Insurance shot up in the last year or so too.... I have yet to ever fill a property claim but figured I'm paying more due to all the storm damage claims submitted by the South in the last five years or so plus their corp greed.

I did see my auto rates go up as well... But I was wondering if it's because I use their storage insurance feature quite often plus living in a "NO-Fault" state....

I still see the dividends checks on an annual basis... but not the amounts I used to see five to ten years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread