Who Posted the detailed personal review on Twin-Screw Cobra VERSES TT Cobra ?

getusum

idiot inside
Established Member
Turbo94Cobra said:
No TT cobras are not headaches. They are headaches when not installed correctly or the person running the kit does not have much experience with doing a TT kit.

There is no logic in saying a TT cobra is a pain. Check out turbomustangs.com and you will find many many man twin turbo cars running just fine. Some people just don't have the experience to deal with them sometimes. No one said that making a car capable of putting out whatever power you want could be done over night. It takes work and you will obviously encounter some problems, but you're saying a TT cobra just won't work is completely false.

TEABG-what actual knowledge do you have on turbocharging a mustang? 1st hand experience? or just from what you have read on these forums?

Turbo94Cobra, I totally agree with you on this. The thing that alot of people do not understand is: It is alot more work than most people want to do. You can buy a KB/whipple and supporting mods, get it tuned and you have a 600 rwhp car. This can be done in a day or so. People get very spoiled with these bolt ons. A turbo setup is much more complex, it takes say 3-4 days to put on, adjust housings etc. to get it right. You need a really good dyno tune! If setup right (bov's,wastegate, dbc, ext. housing etc.) will walk all over a KB or whipple cobra !

Turbo94Cobra

Banned
Yeah, I understand. I wish it was as easy as a bolt on replacement s/c to make those numbers on my car :(

I also understand, obviously, why almost all 03/04 cobra owners simply switch to a KB or Whipple. But when guys start claiming that a turbo doesn't work on the cobra, it seems rediculous since most don't even have experience with a turbo mustang in the first place.

*On a sidenote, after reading your sig., I see you have had some first hand experience with a few turbomustangs yourself :)

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

definitely a lot more work. hell, it is going to be 3+ weeks for my current project.

I ripped out everything the guy did before, nitrous, what little of the turbo kit he did, intake, full interior, even changed the dash, linelock and much more.

just got finished wiring everything and installing the stereo. so now I need to start installing some of the interior, cage and then start the turbo kit.

it is taking longer because of redoing everything that was done and I didn't like and taking stuff out of my other cobra and putting it in this one. a lot of work, but this car is going to be setup very nicely when done.

Turbo94Cobra

Banned
TurboVnm-sounds like you will have a very nice set-up very soon. Go over to www.turbomustangs.com/smf and join, you might find it helpful if you run into problems or just to share your project with them as there aren't as many 03/04 cobras over there. It would be cool to have ya join there!

TRBO VNM

Turbo94Cobra said:
TurboVnm-sounds like you will have a very nice set-up very soon. Go over to www.turbomustangs.com/smf and join, you might find it helpful if you run into problems or just to share your project with them as there aren't as many 03/04 cobras over there. It would be cool to have ya join there!

will do. shouldn't run into any problems. this is my 2nd one personally on a terminator and 3 with a customers I just finished and have 2 more about to start soon. I love building it from scratch, but it takes forever when evenings and weekends are all I have. oh well, good thing it is winter time.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Yes, Jason join turbomustangs.com, I'm there too (F8LVENM)!

Plus sorry for the hijack, but I need you to send me those pics of your boost controller, and dimensions of it! Also which one is it your using? I have Matt's Blitz boost controller, so if it's the same one never mind on the pics!

[email protected]

Ken:beer:

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Turbo94Cobra said:
4sdvenom - youre the guy who went over to the "darkside" and switched from a 6-speed s/c cobra to the auto turbo cobra? :)

Haven't made the switch yet to turbo, but I am seriously considering it! But yes, I went auto, and solid axle, and will probably end up turbocharged eventually too, but will build my own set-up when I do! I'm over there getting as much info as I can (and there is a lot)!

I ditched the 6 speed and IRS, 2 months after I bought the car brand new..lol!:rockon:

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I PERSONALLY just switched from twin turbo to twin screw. My turbos were fun, but it was pointless power and i had more fun when it was supercharged. I had my fair share of problems with my turbos, all the most common with the HP kit, but i also had good experiences with them. I'm not saying i'm going to stay with a kenne bell, i just wanted the experience. I had a stage 3 steg port with EVERY mod before, then i switched to the hp 57mm kit and made over 900 hp on a mustang dyno at 26lbs and 20* of timing. Now i have a 2.2 KB with long tubes supporting mods and a 75 shot. I'm waiting on my throttle body to come in this week and i'm going to get it running and to the dyno as soon as i can. I'm gettin married friday so i'll be on my honeymoon so the car is going in the garage and on hold for about 2 weeks. I'll try to remember this thread and post comparison to the power adders since i'll have used all 3. Next summer i'm going HELLION baby. Love the kit, the sound, the quality, and the power. Can't beat it. Should have done that first. I just hate my car being down for weeks at a time.

Turbo94Cobra

Banned
Yeah, that kind of power will be useless if you are making that much power. Why not just run lower boost so that the power would be more useless?

You should've gone Hellion to begin with...hear way too many bad stories about HP with all of their kits (2V, 4V, and 5.0 kits)

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
About mid summer jason. Gotta join the hellion ranks. I couldn't afford it with the wedding this month but i had to have some extra power. Picked up the kenne bell cheap so i figured i'd give it a shot. REALLY sucks about your car, but the new one will be even better. I got off of them because they didn't have a track close by and i didn't race and it was too much for my daily car. Now i read the paper this morning and they're building a track 10 minutes away. SOB. Plus when i wanna go fast i have a 2006 gsxr 1000 with every mod they have and it's PLENTY fast and wheelies at 100+ mph are damn fun.

- Aj -

Established Member
0mineralgrey3 said:
Now i have a 2.2 KB with long tubes supporting mods and a 75 shot. I'm waiting on my throttle body to come in this week and i'm going to get it running and to the dyno as soon as i can. I'm gettin married friday so i'll be on my honeymoon so the car is going in the garage and on hold for about 2 weeks. I'll try to remember this thread and post comparison to the power adders since i'll have used all 3. Next summer i'm going HELLION baby. Love the kit, the sound, the quality, and the power. Can't beat it. Should have done that first. I just hate my car being down for weeks at a time.

Geez...how can you switch setups that many times? I do think you made the right decision to go with Hellion. Maybe wait for the 88mm setup...:coolman:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
good info!

4sdvenom said:
First of all Hermann had a 4r70w (which in my opinion is the only choice for a street driven auto set-up)

second of all turbos require a different pump and stator set-up in the converter than a N/A or SC car, to apply more load to the engine while stalling to spool the turbos better/quicker!

N/A and SC cars want rpm when they stall!

Turbo cars want load on the engine when they stall! At the same time though staying with a higher stall and the right pump/stator combo for a turbo will net you more load on the engine for spooling! If your not running a lock-up converter though (Hermann was) you need to be careful how high a stall you go, because to high and the converter will never couple enough to be efficient (which is what people mean when they say their blowing thru the converter). With a lock-up converter, you can retain a high stall, and manually lock the converter to retain 100% coupling and the most efficiency!

Hermann was going to switch converters, but decided on the new KB instead!

Ken:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread