Who here is good with numbers?

Hurley

Established Member
ok heres the deal: I found a cobra for 25k at a dealership. if I were to take it at that price I would be paying 500 something a month (I believe 550) I want to know how much the payments should drop if I were to put down 7k. im trying to get to the 230 range for a car payment since thats about my budget for one so any help would be awesome :p

Tylerb59

Established Member
Just remember along with a car payment you have all of the other hidden costs like gas, insurance, oil, etc. Something younger guys overlook ... just be realistic on what you can afford ... and never ever blow majority of your paycheck on these things. Interest dictates a lot on how much your payment will be ... and that's an unknown variable until you've really applied and been accepted for the loan based on credit history.

Crap happens and repair bills can be enormous along with everyday costs.

Anyway, check this might help out:

http://www.skagitfordsubaru.com/en_...ator_paymentCalc&pageName=PaymentCalculator_1

Oxford Snake

Established Member
Calculator

You did not mention at what APR you would be getting a loan and for how long. It would be based on your credit history but lets figure 7.9%.

25k @ 7.9% for 60 months = $506 per month

18K @ 7.9% for 60 months = $364 per month

60 months is probably the longest you can finance those amounts, they usually have a minimum of 25K for 72 month loans. $230 is a motorcycle payment, you'd have to be down to about 10K for 4 years around 6%.

Hope I didn't burst your bubble.

Dave

05 windveil blu

yes ignorance is bliss
Established Member
how bout this in stead.....

you get a honda civic Si: 5,000.00 :pepper:

get a seet whicked sick rice pipe with a tite oval can and a fake muffler for the appearance of dual exhaust: $300.00 :bowdown:

a kickin air filter from shucks auto supply:$25.00 :coolman:

A 5000 watt sound system:$10,000.00 :rockon:

a killer body kit and whicked sick decals and a spoiler that adss 50hp to ypur FWD civic:$2,000.00 :uh oh:

a sweet 1/2 shot F&F nitrous dry shot system :eek: :$475.00

Having a sweet civic doing high 16 sec 1/4 mile times and has 140fwhp, being able to fit ur head inside ur exhaust and be able to do chinups on your spoiler and pick up all the stoopid fly honeys after u get welfare check(that u say u need) so u can get a sweet can of octane boost.....PRICELESS :burnout:

but seriously you dont need a cobra to be fast you just need a good base enginge... but what do i know im only 17... look at a used GT or sumthin...good luck :)

Last edited:

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Dave is right. You may want to rethink your approach. First of all, if it is used, you're gonna get a horrible interest rate, not a good one like you'd get on a new car. Second, the hidden costs that Tyler talked about will kill you.

Try this, look for an older GT 'stang, say '99 or '00. You should be able to pick up a decent one for $7500-8500 depending on the mileage. Drive it around and save your money for awhile. Get some money stashed away and pay cash for a used '03-'04 Cobra or who knows what, coming from SVT in the near future. :shrug:

Tylerb59

Established Member
Oh yea .. how could we forget INSURANCE on these things for High School / College age students is INSANE.

Look into a GT ... It's a v8 and is decently quick for cost. Save up some of that money you'd be spending on car payments and drop in a KB and show these Cobras a thing or two. ;-) Not quite that simple, but the point is you'd have a really fast car for cheap ... while building up credit so you'll be set for the future and not deal with higher interest rates when you're moving on to buy a house, etc.

Last edited:

05 windveil blu

yes ignorance is bliss
Established Member
Tylerb59 said:
Oh yea .. how could we forget INSURANCE on these things for High School / College age students is INSANE.
true especially if you have a high rate speeding ticket..... :-D

Last edited:

Oxford Snake

Established Member
It's good to be above 30 and married. 1 03 Cobra, 1 04 Passatt, 1 00 Suzuki SV650, and 1 05 R6 = $230 per month FULL coverage with State Farm.

Users who are viewing this thread