Who has upgraded their rear end?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I am thinking about upgrading my axles and rear end. Who has done it? I am thinking of pulling the rear axle, strip it down, weld the axle tubes to the center section, straighten the axle tubes then re-assemble with upgraded axles and Detroit tru-trac in the rear end. I do not see this as a common mod in people's footers. Worth it?

Thanks

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I've got aftermarket axles (Moser) and a True Trac. I don't know that the axles are necessary unless you launch with drag radials or slicks. The True Trak is clutchless so it shouldn't go bad over time. If I need to weld my axle shafts, I'll jut go 9". Probably do that regardless, eventually.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
True Trac’s are worth every penny. In my opinion they’re the best option available for a low compromise street / strip application.

For a drag racer, welding the tubes is a smart move, but it’s not just as easy as pulling the assembly out and welding it up. They tend to warp easily during the process if it’s not done very carefully.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Danny has the equipment to check axle true and weld up. Add a CHE brace and you would be bullet proof.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Danny has the equipment to check axle true and weld up. Add a CHE brace and you would be bullet proof.
Not for drag racing. Well maybe bullet proof but not without gear whine.
If you drag race a MANUAL GT500 you'll either have to live with gear whine or go 9"
Things to help: bracing and welding, bias ply tires.
I loved my 33 spline Moser/9" ends/Tru Trac with welded/braced Team Z 8.8 but after one trip to track it'll start with gear whine.
-J

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I am thinking about upgrading my axles and rear end. Who has done it? I am thinking of pulling the rear axle, strip it down, weld the axle tubes to the center section, straighten the axle tubes then re-assemble with upgraded axles and Detroit tru-trac in the rear end. I do not see this as a common mod in people's footers. Worth it?

Thanks
I wouldn’t call it upgraded but I’m on the 5 year colonoscopy plan.

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Currently building a rear end, strange 35 spline axles gun drilled, c clip eliminators, lightweight brakes, lightweight spool, lightweight axle ends, still waiting for my lightened and miro polished ring gear from strange. Dont drive my car that often, we will see how bad the whine is... It will be interesting to see if the lightened ring will make the whine better or worse...

Last edited:

deepblue13

Established Member
Moser 35 Spline axles, Moser 9” end housings, Tru Trac and welded tubes here.

Has held up good during Mile events. Now time to test it at the strip.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Moser 35 Spline axles, Moser 9” end housings, Tru Trac and welded tubes here.

Has held up good during Mile events. Now time to test it at the strip.

How is the whine? also, what is your power level?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Motive 3.90 ring and pinion and Torsen T2R diff. Mine's setup for handling and highway blasts, though. The handling is on another level now. The acceleration doesn't seem much better than the stock 3.55. The rear end whines like an SOB now, but it's slowly getting better with miles.

PC03GT

Established Member
I did strange 35 spline, s trac, c clip eliminators, welded axle tubes, braced and powdercoated. It cost some money, but it's one less thing I have to worry about breaking. My experience with the welded axle tubes and braced rear end is it is so much tighter and rigid than before, no more sloppy feeling

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Keep in mind, a drop in Strange S197 9" is about $4000 give or take depending on options. I believe Ford also makes a Track-lock differential for the 9". The Strange 9" S-Track diff is a Torsen style on steroids.

In my opinion of course, if the parts and labor to strengthen the 8.8 get near that price point Id consider the Strange rear end. Assuming youre doing a lot of drag racing. If its mostly street pulls or youre building for a more handling oriented car, a strengthened 8.8" will be more than enough. I believe you need a race style rear sway bar to use the 9" so there's that to consider as well.

Strange also makes an S-trac for the 8.8, but you have to upgrade to 35 splines. As a few have mentioned, Id recommend the Ford 9 inch ends conversion for the 8.8 housing if going 35 splines. Much more bearing support than C clip eliminators. Strange has all the parts needed, but youll need a very competent rear end fab shop to accurately install them along with tube welding. Id still recommend bracing as well.

Ive still got the Factory style axles and track-lock in mine, but Ive installed a Swarr Brace. Bolted in as opposed to welded. I also upgraded to Moser Differential bearing cap studs (ARP 2000) in addition to the Ford G2 differential cover. Provides preload support to the caps to keep any deflection of the ring carrier when loaded under control. Also installed Ford Racing 4.10s

Only had a few launches on prep, but even with dead nuts install specs, she whined a little using rod end upper and lower arms after 3 launches. Not even close to as bad without the cover, studs and the 3.73s. I have the factory arms back in temporarily until I can replace the rod ends, but with factory arms, its silent.

Take note, the G2 cover may not be compatible with some Watts link kits so that's something to consider as well.

genesmob

Established Member
Dont forget 5/8 wheel studs. Strange says their 1/2s are only good to 800hp and I bent a set of them at the drag strip.

Users who are viewing this thread