Who has successfully installed an ACE triple disc with no issues?

Deespeed99

Established Member
Having some problems and Darryl has been great customer service wise but something just isn't right. Want to get some feedback from others with it.

Bad Company

Established Member
I've got one sitting in the garage for a year now. I just haven;t gotten the motor back together to hang the clutch on it yet.

What are your issues?

I believe it was TVS Vert that had issues with the shimming of the throw out bearing for an Ace twin disc. Darrell sent him a special tool to measure depth to set his shim stack correctly. I don't think he has had any issues since that time. I called Darrell about getting the same tool and he said that I wouldn't need it with the triple disc and to use the shims the clutch came with at the time of purchase. I thought I saved his thread to my computer, but evidently I didn't. Without the search function working on the forum I can't find it.

Softballer77

Established Member
I have had (2) Ace twin disks installed. First one was replaced under warranty as it had eaten itself up so quickly. The second one lasted just a tad longer than the first.

The shop that installed mine called ACE on a Sunday in regards to the shims and Darryl responded. Great customer service. Too bad that doesn't bleed over into the quality of their clutches. Anyways, GTR was told the certain size and amount of shims and they installed it as told. Later on, after a car rally and a few runs down the strip, about 4k miles later it began squeeling (disks were down to the rivets) and slipping. I drove it a lot in a short amount of time including a trip from Tennessee to Detroit and back. It was within 90 days of all this. ACE sent me a new assy after i sent them pictures of the disassembly. At first, Darryl claimed he initially saw the issue and the wrong size shims were used. Great...then, he said "wait, actually that looks right. Perhaps we had a bad batch of material for the clutches". Either way, he sent us "the measuring tool" to measure it out with. Pretty cool contraption. We measured it out and ended up using a slightly different amount of shims than on the first one as per our measurements with the Ace measuring tool.

Not much longer than the first one lasted, the 2nd one gave out. 1 rally, NO trips to the strip. Same squeeling and slipping. In talking with others, they have had issues with Ace clutches as well on our cars. Mine has been in storage for a while, but Van is going to be sending me an ST Trim to put in it's place very soon once I get back home from business and car is out of storage.

So, to answer your question, I haven't yet installed one without there being some kind of shim drama. Darryl seems like a great guy, but just be careful with those clutches. I struck out twice in a row. I believe i posted pictures of my first one burned up on another thread somewhere on this site.

When first installed, it looks great, feels great. Just the slightest of chatter that is really barely noticeable and seems like a great clutch on day one. Just went downhill quickly for me. My stock clutch on same mods lasted 4 times longer...WITH countless passes at the track. Good luck with yours.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Finding a reliable clutch for these cars is like throwing darts blindfolded there is no clear consensus here. One guy claims one brand got him to stop drinking and the next guy claims it drove him to it. Try doing a search on any brand and for every success story there another tear soaked sob story :nonono:

I'm still looking for that perfect clutch but it looks like I'll be throwing darts as well. Any recommendations for twin disc good for a street driven Cobra @800 hp?

Softballer77

Established Member
I have heard not much, but what i have heard are good things about Quartermaster.

I had forgot about them. I may do so more research. Pricey, but if it saves me $600 for every install + clutch cost, it's worth a hard look.

centerforce

Established Member
Not much longer than the first one lasted, the 2nd one gave out. 1 rally, NO trips to the strip. Same squeeling and slipping. In talking with others, they have had issues with Ace clutches as well on our cars. Mine has been in storage for a while, but Van is going to be sending me an ST Trim to put in it's place very soon once I get back home from business and car is out of storage.

Thats a real bummer. We're sorry to hear that happened. :(

Deespeed99

Established Member
Just a follow up for anyone with this clutch. Come to find out the way they bench test their clutches is the issue. We decided to take apart this clutch and built an apparatus to VERTICALLY mount the clutch and take our own measurements and that proved to be the issue. The bench test these clutches laying on a bench so the additional pull of 'gravity' gives a false measurement. We re-shimmed the first floater and the clutch works flawlessly now. No engagement issues, no getting stuck in gear or lunging forward. It operates like stock now. Let me know if you want more specifics.

apache driver

Established Member

Jorday

Established Member
I had the RPS billet triple carbon on my 2009 ZR1 and another billet carbon triple on my 2011 ZR1. I was really impressed with my first one. Then, on my 2011 I tried to save some money and get a McLeod RXT. It drove ok but didn't have the lightning quick shifts of the RPS. That was one difference I couldn't believe with the RPS is it makes you realize how slow and clunky all these stamped steel pressure plate organic/metalic disc clutches shift compared to the RPS. The ultra light carbon discs dramatically reduce the shift effort felt at the shifter, and the straight diaphragm fingers with billet cover release effortlessly and instantly even on max RPM shifts instead of fighting you to release above 6000 rpm. I drove the car once with the McLeod, realized I had made a mistake trying to save money and missed out on having a better clutch, and ordered another RPS blilet carbon triple for the 2011. After having the RPS in my previous car it only took me one drive with the McLeod to realize there was no comparison from a performance perspective. The way you can rip through the gears so easily with the RPS is just insane. It worked great and both cars were over 800 rwhp and it handled that power level like it was nothing. It has a narrow engagement window and the pedal is touchy compared to stock. I will definitely be getting one for the GT500 at some point. Like all aftermarket clutches, getting the install spot on was critical.

Bad Company

Established Member
Just a follow up for anyone with this clutch. Come to find out the way they bench test their clutches is the issue. We decided to take apart this clutch and built an apparatus to VERTICALLY mount the clutch and take our own measurements and that proved to be the issue. The bench test these clutches laying on a bench so the additional pull of 'gravity' gives a false measurement. We re-shimmed the first floater and the clutch works flawlessly now. No engagement issues, no getting stuck in gear or lunging forward. It operates like stock now. Let me know if you want more specifics.
I sent you a PM

Thanks for the heads up

Users who are viewing this thread