Who has installed mech oil press gauge

ByeOfficer

Fast cop in FL
Established Member
If you have installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge in your cobra I'd like to hear how it went. Tips? Tricks? Let me know please. Pics would be awesome.

yes, I did a search. Thnx. :beer: Auto Meter Lunar water temp and oil press gauge enroute. FYI I was told that the Lunar series has been discontinued but I was able to get one. They are going in the dash pod, the one that sits in front of speedo/tach area.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
I have those 2 gauges in my garage also. I decided not to install them and bought electric instead. You're going to have to cut a pretty big hole in the firewall in order to fit the senders and wires through. That's what I didn't like.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Personally I would use an Electric, but if your looking for a spot to send the Wires through to the inside of the car, follow the Throttle Cable back to the Drivers Side Corner and you can feel a hole where it passes through to the inside of the fender, from there open your Driver Side Door and look or feel about 1/2 way between the two hinges and in about 4 inches for a Rubber Plug, if you take the Drivers Side Interior Kick Panel off you will be able to access it. It's a little tough to get the stuff through that route, but it can be done. I know because I ran Sending Unit Wires for Electic Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Oil Temp, and Intercooler Temp all through that hole two days ago.

Last edited:

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
P.S. I used a solid piece of Copper Wire as a snake to get the wires started, then taped up the ends of my wires and taped them to the feeder wire. Also I covered the entire bundle with Large Split Loom where it passes through the under hood hole to the interior hole through the fender area to protect it from rubbing.

Last edited:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
There's also a GREAT spot to drill a hole just left of the windshield wiper motor. Remove the cover across the top of the firewall and access it that way. When you put the cover back on, you can't see a thing.

But I would reconsider your choice of mechanical gauge. You can't change the length of the capillary tube it comes with, you need a large hole in the firewall, and the tube is difficult to route where you want it. Autometer makes some great electric gauges these days.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
There's also a GREAT spot to drill a hole just left of the windshield wiper motor. Remove the cover across the top of the firewall and access it that way. When you put the cover back on, you can't see a thing.
+1 That's where I drilled.

ByeOfficer

Fast cop in FL
Established Member
Im under the impression that Mechanical oil pressure does not need a sending unit. Im just more "particular" about what my car is doing. Mechanical is just more accurate for me. Thnx for the tips guys.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
the relatively large size of the sending unit is the reason why the mechanical gauges require a 7/8 hole through the firewall. (that is the case for the autometer water temp gauge, i think that the oil press is similar)

as someone mentioned you cannot disconnect it from the tube

nice choice tho, even tho nice electrical gauges are available, i think mechanical will be the way to go for me too

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
One Mustang Cobra had a mechanical oil pressure guage fail and the result was a lot of engine oil in the passanger compartment.:eek:
yep, that's another reason. The oil pressure in these engines tends to run high. Mine often pegs at 100psi so there's more chance for something to leak.

Can we get more pics of that vert with the rollbar?

Users who are viewing this thread