Who has done solid axle swap? how do you like it?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
[/SIZE][/B]

Exactly, in that case the SRA does great, just as good as the IRS.
Case closed, Thanks for admiting it finaly.

You somehow missed the point! :(

The less expensive lineage of the Mustang line does ok with an SRA under it. There is a reason you paid more for a Cobra just as there is a reason it came with an IRS!:idea:

Digital

Established Member
You somehow missed the point! :(

The less expensive lineage of the Mustang line does ok with an SRA under it. There is a reason you paid more for a Cobra just as there is a reason it came with an IRS!:idea:

I also payed more for the fully electronics seats and suede but I removed those heavy ass seats too, does that mean the car is going to be less comfortable or perform worse? no.

I think you're missing the point. You're selling a product that upgrades the IRS and you pile on to any thread that mentions a solid to make sure "Everyone has the right info" when you are giving them the wrong info.
You mine as well hop in and spam a link to your product every time.. oh wait you do.. in your sig. :idea:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I also payed more for the fully electronics seats and suede but I removed those heavy ass seats too, does that mean the car is going to be less comfortable or perform worse? no.

I think you're missing the point. You're selling a product that upgrades the IRS and you pile on to any thread that mentions a solid to make sure "Everyone has the right info" when you are giving them the wrong info.
You mine as well hop in and spam a link to your product every time.. oh wait you do.. in your sig. :idea:

It's a free Country. You are free to think an SRA will handle and ride as good as an IRS. ;-)

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
Use a Precision 448 U-Joint to couple the SRA's flange to the stock driveshaft. It's a hybrid U-joint. Save yourself a lot of trouble.

Best thing to do is fine someone that wants to swap. That way you get his ABS sensors because they plug into the same spot underneat the rear seat. If you want to keep the Cobra brakes than you have to get some sort of adapter. But I wanted the GT brakes to use 15" wheels so I did not have to deal with that.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I highly doubt anyone here preps an SRA like that SRA is prepped. :read:

A vast majority of SRA swaps on this board are either Mustang GT, or Mach 1 units with better bushings and control arms. :idea:

So? You wont agree that it doesnt help? If my memory serves me right isnt that what YOU are selling as well in your IRS kit?? Just some Bushings and a few adjustable rods? :??::shrug:

I will never waver on the fact that an IRS will pwn an SRA.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

As a GT500 owner that drives it on track, I can tell you that if I had my choice of having an SRA under this car, or adding 150#, I'll take the SRA. This car cannot carry ANY additional weight IMHO. It came from the factory with an SRA and that is how it will remain.

I have always said, that you can add a crap load of ban-aids to an SRA to make it handle better. Not better than an IRS, but better that the SRA was originally. Band-aids like torque arms, panhard bars, watts links and the like. ALL of these additions will improve the performance of this antiquated suspension component. Also, a crap load of weight as well! Woops, there goes a majority of the weight savings! :idea: Newton's third law of motion will help explain why an SRA will never ride as good as an IRS.

So after all this nonsense you are speaking. You own a GT500 with an SRA, that has an ancient rear suspension and all the Band Aids that you agree is better for this car then an IRS, after you go on and say how the IRS owns the SRA in all aspects on all cars and the SRA is ONLY good for Drag Racing. Hmmm do I hear the Pot calling the Kettle black?? You have serious issues dude.

Just give it a rest. The OP isnt looking to open track the car to its fullest. He wants to get rid of the hop, and have the car perform and still handle well on the street. The SRA can handle just fine on the street with the correct parts which arent very expensive. The Ford IRS sucks for drag racing, we all know that, I dont care how many bushings you add to it. An SRA is NOT for drag only cars. Hell if that were the case Ford has built MILLIONS of Drag cars over the pass 50 years or so that are being driven on the street :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Digital

Established Member
so? You wont agree that it doesnt help? If my memory serves me right isnt that what you are selling as well in your irs kit?? Just some bushings and a few adjustable rods? :??::shrug:

So after all this nonsense you are speaking. You own a gt500 with an sra, that has an ancient rear suspension and all the band aids that you agree is better for this car then an irs, after you go on and say how the irs owns the sra in all aspects on all cars and the sra is only good for drag racing. Hmmm do i hear the pot calling the kettle black?? You have serious issues dude.

Just give it a rest. The op isnt looking to open track the car to its fullest. He wants to get rid of the hop, and have the car perform and still handle well on the street. The sra can handle just fine on the street with the correct parts which arent very expensive. The ford irs sucks for drag racing, we all know that, i dont care how many bushings you add to it. An sra is not for drag only cars. Hell if that were the case ford has built millions of drag cars over the pass 50 years or so that are being driven on the street :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

+1

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
So? You wont agree that it doesnt help? If my memory serves me right isnt that what YOU are selling as well in your IRS kit?? Just some Bushings and a few adjustable rods? :??::shrug:

Yes I find it kind of ironic that so many people change the lousy rubber bushings that came on the SRA from the factory and upgrade them when they put an SRA in their car.

So after all this nonsense you are speaking. You own a GT500 with an SRA, that has an ancient rear suspension and all the Band Aids that you agree is better for this car then an IRS, after you go on and say how the IRS owns the SRA in all aspects on all cars and the SRA is ONLY good for Drag Racing. Hmmm do I hear the Pot calling the Kettle black?? You have serious issues dude.

The GT500, much like a Terminator, only heavier, carries WAY too much weight for it's own good. If I could get an IRS under that car and only add 50#, I'd do it. But not for 100#. I spend too much time accelerating and slowing the extra weight to benefit much from going a little faster through the corners. I'll put up with the 'hippity-hop to the barber shop" through the bumpy turns.

You're either not comprehending what I'm saying, or trying to put words in my mouth. One of the two.

People put band-aids on SRA's to make them handle. This is because they handle SO POORLY.

Just give it a rest. The OP isnt looking to open track the car to its fullest. He wants to get rid of the hop, and have the car perform and still handle well on the street.

He could have merely eradicated all of the rubber in the factory IRS! :read:

The SRA can handle just fine on the street with the correct parts which arent very expensive.

The SRA can do ok on the street. Look how many Mustang GT's, Mach 1's and Bullitt's there are running around. These owners think their car handles just fine I'd be willing to bet. ;-)

The Ford IRS sucks for drag racing, we all know that, I dont care how many bushings you add to it.

The Ford IRS sucks for drag racing with the factory rubber bushings in it, just like any SRA equipped car with stock rubber bushings sucks for drag racing. You only need to look as far as the GT500 forum to read about people complaining about SRA wheel hop on factory rubber bushings! :read:

An SRA is NOT for drag only cars.

This is where you are ABSOLUTELY correct!!! :thumbsup: SRA's work awesome on school buses, dump trucks, tow trucks, garbage trucks, motor coaches, semi tractors, farm tractors, pick-um-up trucks, etc. etc. etc.

If you are perhaps a mechanical engineer and you've spent a few decades studying automotive manufacturing, worked in the industry for an equal amount of time researching, developing, testing, R&D'ing suspension and studying vehicle dynamics you'd understand that the automotive industry has progressed a little over the last several decades. Maybe you should try to convince all of the manufacturers of modern day HIGH PERFORMANCE sports cars that their cars will ride and handle just fine with and SRA under them?!?!

There is a reason that...............

EVERY SINGLE MANUFACTURER OF A HIGH PERFORMANCE SPORTS CAR PUTS AN IRS UNDER THEM!!

Google "high performance sports car with solid rear axle" and read about 50 year old Ferraris!!

:p

mustang_guy

Established Member
The rear end has been taken apart and sent out for sandblasting, when it gets back Im having the axle tubes welded and sending it back to the blasters for paint, after that comes the install of all the new stuff including small things like wheel seals and bearings

Im still undecided between 3.55 gears and 3.73's

Spade

Established Member
As always arguements go nowhere.

OP look far beyond the rock throwing and decide for yourself. I tossed the idea around of the swap for sometime and finally went with the kit (see sig) from AC427COBRA and like it very much. The car feels much better than stock. Keep in mind I have no experiance with a SRA in these cars. I noticed a differant right away after I picked the car up not to mention I drove a completely stock cobra and the rear felt all over the place. That just made me feel that much better.

I've read alot of threads on the swap and asked myself what the car was mostly going to be used for. I went to the track twice this year and I dont bang corners like an SCCA racer. For me it would have been the weight loss if I went with the SRA and that would not benefit on the street anyway. I dont care about the track that much to worry about weight. Im sure you'll be happy with both. Good luck on whatever you do.

BTW, if you want to try a lower gear and drop a set of 4.10s in the car and dont like them you can go with a 28" tire and bring you ratio to 3.90s. From what i read the 3.90 is the gear of choice.

Spade

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
So let me get this right ac427cobra...
You can add 50.. but not 100.. why not do some weight reduction? lol.. srsly..
Then you say it's not worth the 50#s to go SLIGHTLY faster through the corner.. exactly my point.. case closed.

CobraMac

Established Member
So let me get this right ac427cobra...
You can add 50.. but not 100.. why not do some weight reduction? lol.. srsly..
Then you say it's not worth the 50#s to go SLIGHTLY faster through the corner.. exactly my point.. case closed.

I don't understand why you're so hell-bent on trying to prove that solid axles are better than IRS for every application....you can spend less on the IRS and make it feel/handle better than a SRA. I have built up my IRS for only 800 bucks total...I have a buddy with a SRA swap who has spent near 3k on things to make it handle better...he rides in my car and sits there pouting because he loves how my car handles so much more.

We get it...you love the SRA...but there are also those who would love to be informed about how to properly set up and IRS as well...I almost hopped into swapping for a SRA...but my buddies who have done it stopped me and told me to do research...I did and made my decision...no problems still.

AaronK

Established Member
I just did a solid axle swap to a fully built 33 spline rear with coil-overs, spool, etc... Within a few weeks I traded back to a STOCK IRS not because the solid was bad, I just missed the responsiveness of the IRS and the feel of it. No doubt, the solid I had would have held just about anything I threw at it but I know I can get great results and ETs with the IRS as well. With some minor changes to the IRS, it can perform quite well. The ONLY downside that I see with the IRS is the weight. All other "problems" can be addressed with some bushings and a brace...

Bruce, since I'm back to stock IRS, I'll be ordering some bushings from you soon.

Digital

Established Member
I don't understand why you're so hell-bent on trying to prove that solid axles are better than IRS for every application....you can spend less on the IRS and make it feel/handle better than a SRA. I have built up my IRS for only 800 bucks total...I have a buddy with a SRA swap who has spent near 3k on things to make it handle better...he rides in my car and sits there pouting because he loves how my car handles so much more.

We get it...you love the SRA...but there are also those who would love to be informed about how to properly set up and IRS as well...I almost hopped into swapping for a SRA...but my buddies who have done it stopped me and told me to do research...I did and made my decision...no problems still.

I'm sorry cobramac but your buddy is a dumbass and the fact you keep quoting dumbasses isnt helping your arguement.

So you could sell your irs for about what 1400? you can get a sick ass solid for that and drop 120+ #s.

I never said solid is good for every application, that's your butt buddy AC talking about IRS and saying solid is crap.
Guy asked people specifically who has done a solid swap and if you liked it. Have you done a solid swap? Has AC? No? then stfu.
He didnt ask how to make the IRS better or the downsides of the solid from a bunch of guys that havent done it.

Last edited:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Question for those who did a Solid axle swap in your 03-04 Cobra
how do you like it? any regrets?

Also while Im at it did you need any parts when swapping SA from a 99-04 GT or was it a straight swap?
i did it , peice of cake pm me walk you throught what you relly need.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I'm sorry cobramac but your buddy is a dumbass and the fact you keep quoting dumbasses isnt helping your arguement.

So you could sell your irs for about what 1400? you can get a sick ass solid for that and drop 120+ #s.

I never said solid is good for every application, that's your butt buddy AC talking about IRS and saying solid is crap.
Guy asked people specifically who has done a solid swap and if you liked it. Have you done a solid swap? Has AC? No? then stfu.
He didnt ask how to make the IRS better or the downsides of the solid from a bunch of guys that havent done it.

Just as an FYI for you, IRS assemblies have not sold for $1,400 for more than two years!

It's more like $800-$900 now! :idea:

CobraMac

Established Member

Haha okay buddy...I've actually done 3 solid swaps....three of my good friends have solids in their cars and they all love how mine rides...I've also driven their cars as well and think the same....have you ever fully built your IRS? No? Then stfu :lol1:

Jefe

Established Member
Digital you gotta be kidding me! Youre bashing him in this thread and supporting him in another?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/657899-irs-drag-racing.html

Why don't you like solid? Because you want to try autocross and such or were you having problems?
If you've already done the switch I'd try to see what you can do to make the solid work and try some road racing with it. Might not be as bad as you think.
If you wouldent mind posting your upgrade list for your solid as well?

If you do go IRS I would go with Complete IRS Bushing Kit: FTBROrder that AC sells.
They seem to make the best and cheapest kit to keep wheel hop down and it improves handling.
I would stick with the stock half shafts since they are very cheap to replace and seem to break just as often as the expensive ones.

As the poster above me stated keep a fat wall tire, preferably a slick or soft wall drag radial like a mickey. That will help you with the impact of launching.
Don't forgot to upgrade the springs and get a brace as well.

Make up your mind

Users who are viewing this thread