who has been unhappy with their tubular front end

syclone50

Established Member
I was wondering who was unhappy with the tubular front end their turbo kit came with. I had a 95 Gt with a the entire QA1 tubular set up and HATED it. It was on the car for about a month before I tore it off and sold it. It sounded like the front end was being held together with zip ties.

I want to go turbo but am afraid to go down that road again.

I know some of the kits out there are sold with UPR and other tubular set ups.

Any one unhappy with there front suspesion after going turbo??

If you are happy what set up are you running.

Thanks

Greg@RET

Established Member
Every car I have owned has had tubular with all different names. It will be louder then stock, but not terrible.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
I think one thing overlooked with going to a tubular front suspension is the fact that now the shock towers are loaded, and bearing the spring pressure from the coilovers! They were never designed for this, and transmit alot of noise, creaks, etc., because the springs are putting all the suspension load to them. From the factory this is the job of the K-member, and fram rails.

Long story short, I think simply adding a strut tower brace would go along way towards alleviating some of the creaks when turning, and hitting small bumps, and transitions in the road.

Not by any means a cure all, but at least the shock towers will have some lateral support from each other, and will keep them from moving independantly from each other!

With that said, I am getting ready to put in a UPR chromoly K and A arms set-up with a MM coilover kit.

Ken :beer:

TRBO VNM

I have a MM front setup and a buddy has the same. I have installed and drove many UPR setups and have customers with them and so far nobody has complained about them. Those are the only 2 I have experience with. as ken said, you will have more noise, but it shouldn't sound like it is going to fall apart.

syclone50

Established Member
At first I did have the QA1/Steeda camber/caster plates. I replaced them with MM plates and alot of it went away. I understand there will be more noise transfered thru the car because of replacing alot of the soft factory rubber. I was not happy with QA1 product or their tech. I called and asked the "mustang tech" when installing their k member I noticed the geometry changed in the front end. I asked him what exactly changed and he could not tell me!!!

Anyways it is nice to hear that the UPR set up is serving people well. I would still like to hear some more feedback before I decide what to do.

Blown02

Established Member
I have the qa1 k and arms, d&d coilovers, and mm 4 bolt cc plates.. Mine is somewhat noisy due to the coilovers..

BTW I will never deal with UPR again.. I have had extremely bad luck with them.

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
I will be running QA1, I'd like to UPR but the kit im getting will not work with anying but QA1 from my understanding.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
Ive ran the kenny brown and upr and dnd. now i have the psr k member and its the best one that i have seen. it is very similar to the dnd but is much stronger. it also has the best fitment of all of the k members i have seen. here is a recent thread over on the registry about it http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67912 I barely notice any more noise than stock and there was no need for oil filter relocation or anything special

TRBO VNM

fourvalvegt said:
Ive ran the kenny brown and upr and dnd. now i have the psr k member and its the best one that i have seen. it is very similar to the dnd but is much stronger. it also has the best fitment of all of the k members i have seen. here is a recent thread over on the registry about it http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67912 I barely notice any more noise than stock and there was no need for oil filter relocation or anything special

good to know. can you still fit the large motorcraft filter with it and with the oil cooler on there? i know hellion is testing it to see if it fits with the turbo kit to have another option.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
im not sure if the large motorcraft filter fits because i am running the mobil 1 filter with plenty of clearance i am pretty sure it will. i know on the dnd you have to run the smaller one. hellion did haveor still has one of these k members however i dont think they are going to offer it because there was a pipe that would have to be changed and they didn't want to have to accomodate for that.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
it is also the lightest and strongest k member i have seen, and the only one that comes with a 2 year warranty no matter what happens to it

TRBO VNM

have you compared it to the MM. I know it is probably lighter, but how are you testing strength? the MM is a pretty damn nice unit.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
we have a fabrication shop with a stress analysis machine and broke of theres in half while ours surpassed that point. there are actually quite a few k members we did this too also

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Have heard the PSR K member is indeed a very nice piece. For comparison purposes only, the PSR kit runs approximatley $1,220 with a 60 lb weight savings, while the UPR will cost you $695 with a 65 lb savings. This does no include new adjustable front struts. Costly modification.........

fourvalvegt

Established Member
the psr price is actaully 995 plus shipping. where did you hear the 1220 price jut out of curiosity. and for the 995 price it comes completely assembled with all grade 8 or better hardware im not sure on the specific grade at this time.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
fourvalvegt said:
i was wondering where someone got the 1220 price from because we have never sold one for that much

It might have been for a package deal with A-arms, and a coil-over kit! I seem top rememer a $1200 price discussed when the PSR was just first being released!

Ken :beer:

TRBO VNM

fourvalvegt said:
we have a fabrication shop with a stress analysis machine and broke of theres in half while ours surpassed that point. there are actually quite a few k members we did this too also

oh ok, gotcha, so you work with Dan at the shop?

Users who are viewing this thread