Who has a RZR? School me

blk02edge

Established Member

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
All of the choices are good these days.

All of this nonsense about the RZR's being garbage is, well, garbage.

The turbo models (what I own) have an upgraded belt system over the 1000's that is superior.

I have never broken a belt on my 2016 turbo. Never.

I have broken a rear axle, but that has been the only thing that has broken on mine and they are only $75 each to replace. I love it this thing and so do my kids!

IMG_3093.JPG

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
whatever you do, get a lightly used one, you will save big bucks ...

Pretty good advice, although Polaris literally dropped the prices of the whole RZR line about 8 months ago.

I paid $22k OTD for my turbo in late 2016.... you can get one now for about $4k less brand new--maybe less.

nxhappy

Established Member
I paid 10k cash for my maverick. Sold it pretty quick, had nobody to ride with. I'm more of a dirt bike guy.

Equalbracket

Established Member

The turbo models (what I own) have an upgraded belt system over the 1000's that is superior.

I have broken a rear axle, but that has been the only thing that has broken on mine and they are only $75 each to replace. I love it this thing and so do my kids!

View attachment 1507785

+1. They're incredibly well built machines that take so much abuse, of course stuff is going to break when people beat the shit out of them, but they're made to be fixed and keep going. From what I've seen when something gives on any of these machines, that's usually the extent of it, there's no domino effect of carnage.

lilcoop03

Established Member
whatever you do, get a lightly used one, you will save big bucks ...
Will definitely be buying a nice USED one...

That being said, they do seem to retain value pretty well from what I have seen...Like they bottom out on depreciation pretty much right after the "new purchase" hit...right?

bullitt2735

Established Member
I've also heard from multiple friends that all brands stock Rollcage/bar is grossly under engineered and to replaced it ASAP if you plan on jumping/really abusing them and flipping them but that was a few years ago

lilcoop03

Established Member
I've also heard from multiple friends that all brands stock Rollcage/bar is grossly under engineered and to replaced it ASAP if you plan on jumping/really abusing them and flipping them but that was a few years ago

I could definitely see that...

blk02edge

Established Member
Ive done 2 rollovers in an X3 now, cage is still mint

Blown 89

Established Member
If you get one wear helmets and a seatbelt. I have a friend that was involved in a 5 mph crash in one. Of the four in the vehicle one died, he almost died, and two of the passengers had years of surgeries and rehab before they were normal again. Three of them had seatbelts on. The rollover happened so slowly that the fourth passenger had time to put his seatbelt on before they went over. Ironically he came out without a scratch. His mother was doa.

When his wife called and broke the news I hit the internet to find out where it was and get any additional details. There were so many fatalities and injuries in those things I made finding his information impossible. I was shocked at the number of fatalities in those offroad crawlers. One of my employees sold his after a group of them went out on a trail and one of them flipped and killed the driver. Apparently that was low speed as well.

nxhappy

Established Member
Will definitely be buying a nice USED one...

That being said, they do seem to retain value pretty well from what I have seen...Like they bottom out on depreciation pretty much right after the "new purchase" hit...right?
no not at all, my Maverick was $10k, that's like 15,000 less than new lol

I see used ones on craigs list 18-20k they just sit and sit

just get a used one like 2012-2015 you will be happy

nxhappy

Established Member
If you get one wear helmets and a seatbelt. I have a friend that was involved in a 5 mph crash in one. Of the four in the vehicle one died, he almost died, and two of the passengers had years of surgeries and rehab before they were normal again. Three of them had seatbelts on. The rollover happened so slowly that the fourth passenger had time to put his seatbelt on before they went over. Ironically he came out without a scratch. His mother was doa.

When his wife called and broke the news I hit the internet to find out where it was and get any additional details. There were so many fatalities and injuries in those things I made finding his information impossible. I was shocked at the number of fatalities in those offroad crawlers. One of my employees sold his after a group of them went out on a trail and one of them flipped and killed the driver. Apparently that was low speed as well.

full gear for sure: riding boots, helmet, chest guard, knee guards, EVERYTHING.

these things are pretty ****ing dangerous, no lie.

blk02edge

Established Member

5mph...? Cmon

awful knawful

Established Member

View attachment 1507785
Take it out of the sand and put it on the trails. You'll break lots of shit. Polaris axles are a joke. Along with wheel bearings, ball joints, tierod ends and bushings. They just don't last.

I've got 14700 km on my outlander 1000. Original wheel bearings, tierod ends, ball joints and axles. My buds 850 sportsman with less miles is on his 5th set of bearings, two sets of hubs, bushings twice, rear diff, steering stem bushings twice. We ride the same trails at the same time.
Ranger 570. Third set of wheel bearings, all axles, rear diff, front diff and everything is all slack again!
No doubt can ams need alot of maintenance to keep them up to par but we don't see something failing every other ride.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Take it out of the sand and put it on the trails. You'll break lots of shit. Polaris axles are a joke. Along with wheel bearings, ball joints, tierod ends and bushings. They just don't last.

I've got 14700 km on my outlander 1000. Original wheel bearings, tierod ends, ball joints and axles. My buds 850 sportsman with less miles is on his 5th set of bearings, two sets of hubs, bushings twice, rear diff, steering stem bushings twice. We ride the same trails at the same time.
Ranger 570. Third set of wheel bearings, all axles, rear diff, front diff and everything is all slack again!
No doubt can ams need alot of maintenance to keep them up to par but we don't see something failing every other ride.

Unfortunately it only sees the sand about 5x per year.

This is almost strictly a trail vehicle. If you are familiar with the desert terrain in 29 Palms Ca, you will have an understanding of what it goes through. We were out last weekend in 105* heat and it performed like a champ. No burnt belts, no overheating.. nothing.

I've never replaced a wheel bearing or a tie rod end or a hub... Not sure what you guys are doing to your equipment, but my RZR has been pretty damn reliable.

Like I said... only have had to replace an axle.

Users who are viewing this thread