Who do you book through?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
So I'm trying to plan a vacation to Hawaii this summer for the family. I've been trying to use the sites like Orbitz, but the flights they have suck. I don't need to fly to Seattle just to fly back to LA to fly out to Hawaii. Do you just book everything separately or is there a trick I don't know about?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I use Expedia for most of my travel, especially if I'm bundling flight, hotel, and rental car.

I was looking at them. They were the ones with the screwy flights. Like I'd like to leave San Diego in the morning and suddenly every flight is 12+ hours.

MG0h3

Established Member
My buddy just showed me google flights. The tabs where you can select all/images etc at the top right under the search bar. Looked incredibly efficient and I could immediately see better prices than I found. This dude travels all over the world lately so prob a good bet.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

nickf2005

Established Member
I'm sure some of the travel sights may have better prices, but if you have travel issues, I think there's way more flexibility through actual providers of air, rental, and hotels. Many hotels will guarantee the lowest price, so call them with any lower offer you find.

Sign up for any member rewards the services offer. Even if you're a brand new member, they will be more likely to upgrade you on the spot if you ask.

AirBnB and VRBO are great resources for lower cost rooms than a traditional hotel or resort.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Stanger00

Established Member
We set criteria with Hopper app and when we get notice of price drops and it’s time to buy we basically purchase from airline via capital one.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I was looking at them. They were the ones with the screwy flights. Like I'd like to leave San Diego in the morning and suddenly every flight is 12+ hours.

They have direct flights out of Houston so I never had that issue. I booked my Hawaii trip through them previously.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Google Flights works best for me. Was significantly lower than any travel site I used. It will also send you alerts when air fare prices chage. Certain days of the week are way cheaper to fly, like tuesday to tuesday. Red eye flights are pretty cheap. Clear out your browser cookies each time to check prices.

We've been a few times, going again next May.

Which island are you going to?

Sent from my LG V30 ThinQ using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Coiled03

Established Member
If I want to put in the effort my self, kayak, or Google flights. If I don't feel like messing with it, I let my friend who's a travel agent do it all for me.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Google Flights works best for me. Was significantly lower than any travel site I used. It will also send you alerts when air fare prices chage. Certain days of the week are way cheaper to fly, like tuesday to tuesday. Red eye flights are pretty cheap. Clear out your browser cookies each time to check prices.

We've been a few times, going again next May.

Which island are you going to?

Sent from my LG V30 ThinQ using the svtperformance.com mobile app

We're planning on going to Oahu. We want to take the kids to Pearl Harbor.

If I want to put in the effort my self, kayak, or Google flights. If I don't feel like messing with it, I let my friend who's a travel agent do it all for me.

I've thought about finding a travel agent and dropping it in their lap.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
We're planning on going to Oahu. We want to take the kids to Pearl Harbor.

I've thought about finding a travel agent and dropping it in their lap.

Oahu is Amazing. Each island has a personality for sure. Pearl Harbor was my favorite thing to do. Thats a whole day right there. Cant miss the USS Missouri self guided tour and the Arizona Memorial. There is so much to see at Pearl. The aviation museum, the USS Bowfin submarine tour. One thing I disliked about Oahu is the traffic and congestion around Honolulu and Waikiki. It's definitely the busiest and most crowded island. The Diamond Head hike Kicked my ass. I am an avid hiker for a fat guy and that hike got me. I wanted to die when I got to the top. I didnt like 5 lane highways and bumper to bumper traffic for miles, so the only time I went in that area was to get to Pearl Harbor. The North east side of the island is a nice place to stay away from the hustle and bustle. You can island hop if you want to visit the other islands for pretty cheap. We found fares as low as $50.

We're going next May for our 10th anniversary and planning spending 4 days on Oahu and 4 days on Kuai. This will be my 5th time there. Our favorite place to go for sure. I have tons of pics if you ever want to see them.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Oahu is Amazing. Each island has a personality for sure. Pearl Harbor was my favorite thing to do. Thats a whole day right there. Cant miss the USS Missouri self guided tour and the Arizona Memorial. There is so much to see at Pearl. The aviation museum, the USS Bowfin submarine tour. One thing I disliked about Oahu is the traffic and congestion around Honolulu and Waikiki. It's definitely the busiest and most crowded island. The Diamond Head hike Kicked my ass. I am an avid hiker for a fat guy and that hike got me. I wanted to die when I got to the top. I didnt like 5 lane highways and bumper to bumper traffic for miles, so the only time I went in that area was to get to Pearl Harbor. The North east side of the island is a nice place to stay away from the hustle and bustle. You can island hop if you want to visit the other islands for pretty cheap. We found fares as low as $50.

We're going next May for our 10th anniversary and planning spending 4 days on Oahu and 4 days on Kuai. This will be my 5th time there. Our favorite place to go for sure. I have tons of pics if you ever want to see them.

This is actually my 4th time going. First time as a civilian though. The wife met me there on my last deployment, but I was only in port for like 2 days. My second deployment we were there for 5 days. Even though I had duty the first day that more than enough time for me. I was ready to go by the last day. Of course I'm sure part of that was wanting to get home after 7 months.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Guess I was meant to post this. I got an email since I'm a member of the IHG a little while ago. Managed to get a suite and car rental for about the price most of the other places were charging just for the room. Now on to the plane tickets.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have started poaching the travel sites, for info, then go to the airline you choose, and book directly. More flexible, better flights, and better recourse if there is an issue.
That's exactly what I have been doing to years. I just find that you can get better deals by going through the airlines/hotel yourself. Not all the time, but usually, in my experience.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Flights through Southwest using points from our credit card.

Hotel or resort through our timeshare (RCI), if not using the timeshare we have used Travelocity more than anything else.

Machdup1

Established Member
AAA Travel
Travelocity
Expedia
Cheapcaribbean.com
Rental car.com
Direct from the individual vendor’s site.

I get quotes from all of the above and then pick the cheapest price for what I want.

Users who are viewing this thread