Who do so many V8 guys, just HATE on Tesla?

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I think many of you forget that although an EV like a Tesla Model 3 Performance or Model S Plaid might be heavy, they do more than go well in a straight line. Although they may weigh much more than an ICE car, the battery pack sits very low in the chassis giving them an outstanding center of gravity. Look up videos of them on road courses. Its impressive.

Now while I think EVs are our future, I do agree shoving them down our throats is wrong and not viable. Hell, even Musk agrees to this in an way and is asking for more energy independence and oil/gas production.

Noting will beat the visceral feeling of an ICE engine with a nice lopey camshaft(s) and an exhaust note that makes every liberal for miles shit their pants, but I hate to say they are on their way out. I will miss them.

blk02edge

Established Member
I think many of you forget that although an EV like a Tesla Model 3 Performance or Model S Plaid might be heavy, they do more than go well in a straight line. Although they may weigh much more than an ICE car, the battery pack sits very low in the chassis giving them an outstanding center of gravity. Look up videos of them on road courses. Its impressive.

Now while I think EVs are our future, I do agree shoving them down our throats is wrong and not viable. Hell, even Musk agrees to this in an way and is asking for more energy independence and oil/gas production.

Noting will beat the visceral feeling of an ICE engine with a nice lopey camshaft(s) and an exhaust note that makes every liberal for miles shit their pants, but I hate to say they are on their way out. I will miss them.
They do not do well on road courses, they can do a fast lap or two for media coverage on point and shoot tracks like Laguna Seca.

A production Tesla on any technical road course is shit

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I've kicked around the idea of the Lightning(f ford for reusing that name) down the road.

Don't care for how most EVs look but at least Ford has their EV truck looking like a traditional truck.

I don't mind Teslas, just don't care to DD a car and the Y & X don't do much for me looks wise. Power wise is another story but the cost of the performance X is out of my budget

TORQUERULES

Established Member
They do not do well on road courses, they can do a fast lap or two for media coverage on point and shoot tracks like Laguna Seca.

A production Tesla on any technical road course is shit

Most of us do not race road courses in any meaningful way, but a lap or two maybe. I understand what you are saying and yes, EVs are a long way from that in production form. But for most people, the capabilities, at least in Teslas, are there for a well-rounded vehicle.

I honestly am split on the ICE vs EV argument. I like them both for different reasons. I do not currently own an EV for reasons that are the norm for many: 1. A decent EV costs way too much compared to ICE right now 2. The infrastructure is not anywhere near ready for most areas in the US.

Will I own one eventually. Yes. But only if the price of keeping and driving an ICE vehicle gets to be too much, and/or the price of EVs reduces significantly and I can deal with infrastructure shortcomings.

In motorsports, I do not see EVs taking over anytime soon. Like you pointed out, they are not ready yet. But, they are not all just about a straight line. They can handle very well for most enthusiasts.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Flame suit for the car... not for a fellow cobra enthusiast.

There's always negative comments. The more successful you get, the more negative comments come your way. Saying that from Joe Rogan or Jordan Peterson. Not for myself, just as an example

Ahh... the 'ol "youse guys are soooo poor!" argument.

Classic.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Most of us do not race road courses in any meaningful way, but a lap or two maybe.

This would have been better said if the bold part was left out.

No one goes to a road course for a lap or two unless the car breaks. That's barely enough time to get the tires up to temp and for the brakes to bed themselves.

Intervention302

Established Member
Bear in mind a Tesla Model S Plaid runs 7min 35.579secs at the Ring.

Every bit as fast as the best from Porsche or AMG big sedans

But there's no denying the weight of these things. You don't feel it cornering, really only braking. But my Tesla was delivered on minivan tires

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Electrict cars
Mine has been flawless. Couldn't be happier

Tesla gets a bad rep online because "its cool to hate on Tesla" from people whom know literally nothing about Tesla
It works well with very little adoption. The problem I see is energy density. Gas has far more energy density. In the future this could change with solid state batteries. The other big problem is the source and the availability of the materials needed for EVs. Lithium for example is one big problem. Personally I would prefer something along the lines of the Koenigsegg Gemera. It has some extremely cool tech. There is alot of cool ICE tech out there that will help prolong ICE engines. Look up E-Turbos, Freevalve Camless Engines, Transient Plasma Ignition and more.

blk02edge

Established Member
Bear in mind a Tesla Model S Plaid runs 7min 35.579secs at the Ring.

Every bit as fast as the best from Porsche or AMG big sedans

But there's no denying the weight of these things. You don't feel it cornering, really only braking. But my Tesla was delivered on minivan tires
That car was probably fried by the end, push it for the #'s. I also highly doubt it wasn't some crazy Musk ringer car sent specifically with some more exotic materials.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
eh, great for a ****ing daily driver. Leave the racecar for the weekends / occasional daily, if you daily the racecar, you get used to it, and bored with it.

I'd love a Model X for a daily.

Hit 'Work' in GPS and let the thing drive me there while I sleep.

Tesla is doing things we never thought possible, and you're exactly right, gets hate 'cuz its cool to hate on Elon'

No other real reason.
Model X or Plaid for a daily for sure. Hard to beat 1000hp and getting something like 450miles per charge.

With gas prices going up and pg&e screwing us, going solar would be the way to go too.

Intervention302

Established Member
That car was probably fried by the end, push it for the #'s. I also highly doubt it wasn't some crazy Musk ringer car sent specifically with some more exotic materials.
Elon said it wad 100% factory spec delivered directly as is to the customer. Yoke and all. I also think this was speed limited due to software to 155. New update is 176mph I think

Obviously I/we cant prove that one way or another.

I believe the 2nd hot lap was "only" 5 seconds slower. So not "spent"

Intervention302

Established Member
Electrict cars

It works well with very little adoption. The problem I see is energy density. Gas has far more energy density. In the future this could change with solid state batteries. The other big problem is the source and the availability of the materials needed for EVs. Lithium for example is one big problem. Personally I would prefer something along the lines of the Koenigsegg Gemera. It has some extremely cool tech. There is alot of cool ICE tech out there that will help prolong ICE engines. Look up E-Turbos, Freevalve Camless Engines, Transient Plasma Ignition and more.
Model X or Plaid for a daily for sure. Hard to beat 1000hp and getting something like 450miles per charge.

With gas prices going up and pg&e screwing us, going solar would be the way to go too.
Yeah the Model 3 is super heavy for what it is. 4200lbs or something.

As a car enthusiast, I applaud all EVs, because they will in fact push ICE to the absolute engineering pinnacle trying to keep up. Specifically look at Koenisegg and the cam free design making 600+hp from a tiny 3 cylinder.

ICEs last hurrah will be the best yet.

NHs electric rates are some of the highest in the country, so I'm definitely going to try to do solar this Summer/Fall. Electric rates might go up another 50% before we know it.

blk02edge

Established Member
Elon said it wad 100% factory spec delivered directly as is to the customer. Yoke and all. I also think this was speed limited due to software to 155. New update is 176mph I think

Obviously I/we cant prove that one way or another.

I believe the 2nd hot lap was "only" 5 seconds slower. So not "spent"

I flat out don't believe that. But to be fair, a lot of manufacturers do that at the Ring. The Ring is an awful benchmark anyway. It's great for punishment testing for development but comparing lap times is a useless tool.

Intervention302

Established Member
I flat out don't believe that. But to be fair, a lot of manufacturers do that at the Ring. The Ring is an awful benchmark anyway. It's great for punishment testing for development but comparing lap times is a useless tool.
I agree. Hence the "i/we can't prove this"

Everybody plays the same dirty game. Tires, alignment, suspension, seats.

Lots of changes.

Elon did post the video however of the run. Looked scary as all hell

blk02edge

Established Member
I agree. Hence the "i/we can't prove this"

Everybody plays the same dirty game. Tires, alignment, suspension, seats.

Lots of changes.

Elon did post the video however of the run. Looked scary as all hell
Looked slow by my standards lol. Corner speed is abysmal. All its time is made up on the long straights. Which is zero fun on road course

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

Wasn't this the case? I seem to recall the first plaid went into limp mode and then the 1 lap hero run was a prototype with gutted interior and non production aero/suspension.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Seems like a bunch of nerds created a car to hang out with the real car guys.

They show up, and nobody cares. The real enthusiasts, go back to working on their ICE cars. Cars that need tinkering to keep going. You build a relationship with your car. Hell, We watch other people build cars. its an art. They transform them with skill, and hard work. The nerds are upset, and are looking for approval.

blk02edge

Established Member
Wasn't this the case? I seem to recall the first plaid went into limp mode and then the 1 lap hero run was a prototype with gutted interior and non production aero/suspension.
The Laguna Seca run was this. The Ring run, who knows... but I'd put serious money on someone taking their off the lot Plaid there, give to a pro and it would be faaaaar off the mark, guaranteed.

Users who are viewing this thread