who all is running 20in. rims on their s197?

01MGSVT

Established Member
im looking at putting a set of 20 inch chrome bullitts 20x8.5 front and 20x10s on the back on my 06 GT. the only concern i have is them weighting the car down too much. any opinions. pics would be great too.

cconner

Word of Wisdom
Established Member
Just depends on what you want out of your car... I have a friend with 20's on a 2006. He regrets buying the 20's every day. However, it is completely your decision, If you like them go for it!! I would check on Americanmuscle.com>Wheels>Customer Pictures of 20's.

My Opinion/A few facts:

1.It's hard to find the right tire for 20 that doesn't stick in your fender welds and doesn't compromise traction.
2.They handle like a fat girl
3.The traction was compromised
4.20x10 sounds like something you would put on a F350..
5.I wouldn't be too concerned with weight, his seemed to pull 20's as well as the 18's.

z28Eater

Hemi's Worst Nightmare
Established Member
i enjoy my 20's. i couldnt tell much of a different when i went to 20s from 18s.

25170768.gif

6ce1d149.gif

stang1.gif

ddb50

Established Member
my saleen had 20's on it when I bought it and I have no issues with them at all. I am sure I will when I go to buy tires for them.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Heres my wifes 05 GT. The ride is alittle rough but the car has been lowered 1.5 too. When we put the stock 17 back on to go to the track (drag radials) she notices the ride isn't as harsh as her 20's. As far as weight there is more rotating mass but you don't notice it on acceleration.....you will feel it more in your brakes. The look of 20's on this car is awesome but I also have a friend with a 2 inch drop and some 18's (buillts) that looks sharp and I bet his ride isn't as rough has hers is. Hopes this helps some.

DSC02213.JPG

Last edited:

Redmustang47

Mustang Obsessed
Established Member
you will notice a little weight different but it shouldn't be to bad. Its not necessarily the size of the rim but what it is made from. I have 19 inch saleen heritage wheels (19x9 and 19x10) on my car and I noticed a little difference in the weight. My wheels weigh 37 pounds each without tires.

Last edited:

Jinx.

Stig's Lazy Cousin
Established Member
I went from my stock 17'' charcoal bullitts to my 20'' Steeda Spyders in Black. 20x9.5 in the front and 20x11 in the back. Steeda claims the cold cast method in making the wheel do something for them, but I don't think its anything in terms of weight. But the ride isn't much different but I got the car with the FRPP Handling Pack on it which is a 1'' drop I think. As for noticing a difference in term of taking off from a dig.....hard to say. The 17'' with crappirellis's, the traction was no where to be found, as I got the car with a low boost non-IC whipple already on it. But traction was on the wishlist, but so was style. The Steeda Spyders satisfied my wishes. Traction is awesome with the NT-05s on the 20'', so take-off is obviously improved. I say don't fear the 20'' size, but the make of the wheel is important. Cheap knock-offs are going to be most likely heavier than it OEM or high quality counterpart. This lesson was learned with 18'' OE Replica Bullitt wheels on my previous '01 GT. The wheel was much more than I would expect in contrast to the stock 17'' bullitts.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Just curious, has any tried Nitto NT555R with 20's? My wifes ride has NT555 and they aren't the best for traction espically now that she has a turbo on the car. As soon as it hits boost (espically 1-2 shift)the rearend is all over the place. I just put a set of NT555R on the Cobra and they hook like crazy so I am expecting the same results. I just want to get any opinions and pics if you got them?

Here is little vid of her car.....[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2BcCgCGunE"]YouTube - Ponygurl Evolution[/nomedia]

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I run 20 as well...the Shelby Trq thrusts M's...I use a 245/35 up front and a 295/35 on the back. Nitto Invo's out back, and extreme 555's up front.(long story on the fronts, but meh their new).

Works well for me, and since I gotthe Invo's, no probs hooking up.

hollywub

Established Member
I love them. Though you will lose about 6 rwhp on average. Make sure your camber is right so you don't go through tires every 5000 miles...

2blown

Established Member
There are some 20s out there that can be lighter than 18s however your wallet will take a hit. I had 20x12.5 with a 325 and had all the traction I needed but again it depends on your goals as some have said.

Users who are viewing this thread