Who’s given up motorcycle riding?

SHOdown220

Established Member
Like the title states who here has given up riding motorcycles? How long did you ride for? What made you give it up?

Background I’ve been riding since 2011, back then I was younger, single and had tons of free time. I rode everywhere, my first bike passed 10,000 miles in the first 3 months I owned it. Now I’m older, married, have a 3 year old and another on the way. I ride probably closer to 5k a year now, but I still love it. Couldn’t imagine not having a bike in my garage. My wife loves to ride when she can but it’s rare we get the chance.

Every now and then I hear a story of someone getting killed on a bike, and it makes me rethink riding. Yesterday I was out for a ride and passed a fatal motorcycle accident that had just happened maybe 15 minutes prior. That kinda shook me. Another fatal accident happened to someone my age last week, killed by a drunk driver at 9 a.m.

like I said I love riding and couldn’t imagine not having a bike, but on the other hand the thought of me not coming home to my wife and kids one day terrifies me. I’ve thought about replacing the bike with something fun but safer but can’t shake the feeling I would miss my bike.

Just wondering what some others have done, keep riding? Give it up altogether? Find a fun replacement ?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I rode for 8 years, had 5 different bikes. Absolutely loved it; loved the thrill, loved the speed, loved the freedom.

I gave up riding when I had my first kid. I was way too comfortable riding way too fast. It was nothing for me to ride 125mph+ on the highway. I'm my family's main provider, and yes, life insurance would pay out well and everything would be covered...but at 27 years old at the time even a $15mil policy wouldn't replace the income of my life that would be lost at death.

I took up racing. I was still able to get my thrill, the speed and the freedom. It's a much safer alternative to riding a bike on the street. On the track, no one texts or brushes their teeth while driving. I don't regret it at all.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I gave it up for 10 years. Too many idiots on the road and I was spending all my time looking in my mirrors and slowing down for intersections. I was also living in the suburbs outside of Philadelphia.
Fast forward to last Fall and I bought a 2014 Ultra Limited, an old farts bike. Now I live in a very rural area made up by goat roads and indian trails that follow streams and rivers. I put put around at low speeds enjoying the roads mostly to myself. When I have to get on a highway I find the nearest back road and cruise around.

spectreman

Established Member
I've been riding since 1976 and will likely ride until I am no longer physically capable of doing it. I recognize it comes w/risks, wear the appropriate gear every time I mount up and ride tactically, using the bike's physical advantages, along w/my skills & experience, to keep me away from situations w/potential danger. I NEVER drink & ride, don't do anything foolish- wheelies, racing, excess speed- and ride w/in my personal limits and capabilities. So far, knock wood, that's worked for me at over 45 years on 2 wheels. I'll stop when the Good Lord tells me its time to stop.
Lee

Fat Boss

Established Member
Not me. I just bought a 2021 Husqvarna FE501S yesterday. Even though it has a plate, 99.9% of my riding will be off road.

Husky_FE-501s-USA-2021-lowres.jpg

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I gave up street riding a year before my kid was born.

Why? Cause South Florida is full of old ****s/selfish people who will cut you off to save 3 seconds.

There was a stretch everytime I drove through Wellington(village in PBC) someone would almost hit me either by sideswipe or pullout in front of me. And I would be going 5+ over the speed limit, so not like the rate of speed was a factor.
A few people sort of pissed me off which caused me to hit their mirrors and well that could of made stuff way worse if the driver had nothing to lose.
Add in other idiots on bikes weaving at 130mph on I95 pissing off cagers, they did no favors to guys who at least waited to get to the outskirts to go fast.
I miss it here and there. Was awesome in the winter months to go ride with the girl at night through beach towns/scenic areas.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I gave it up for 10 years. Too many idiots on the road and I was spending all my time looking in my mirrors and slowing down for intersections. I was also living in the suburbs outside of Philadelphia.
Fast forward to last Fall and I bought a 2014 Ultra Limited, an old farts bike. Now I live in a very rural area made up by goat roads and indian trails that follow streams and rivers. I put put around at low speeds enjoying the roads mostly to myself. When I have to get on a highway I find the nearest back road and cruise around.

When I moved to charlotte several years ago I almost never rode as the traffic was completely blind to anything, people constantly pulling out in front of you, running red lights, etc. I have since moved to a small city with light traffic about an hour outside of charlotte. I try to do the same, I ride mostly roads I'm familiar with and that are way outside heavy traffic areas. The accident I passed yesterday was way out in the boonies but near the area I used to live so I'm very familiar with the intersection it happened at. I always go pretty slow through there as it's kinda blind. Its a 2-way stop and the road without the stop sign is 55 mph.

The wife is begging for an ultra limited, I made the mistake of demoing one with her on the back and she fell in love with it, especially compared to my dyna lol. Enjoy yours!

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My passion for Mustangs only came when my passion for Motorcycles ended. Let's see....my first vehicle at 15 was a 440 belt driven Kawasaki, then 700 Yamaha Virago, 250 Ninja, 600 CBR, 929RR and then another 929RR. Nothing like riding...but when I got back from a good ride I was thankful I was not in prison or dead. Eventually...that riding catches up to you. One day I hit a curve that resembled more of a 4 way stop sign...at 80mph. Every curve for miles and miles before this was damn near a straight line. I saw it coming up and knew I was going down. I laid on the front mostly and locked up the rear, released the brakes and then laid into it. Right off the road into a marsh and rolled forever. I messed up both shoulders of which one needed a 4 hour surgery. (AC separation) There is a couple that own a house on stilts close by and they watch the motorcyles wiz by from a patio. I cleaned off there after refusing an ambulance. They told each other after seeing me wiz by that I was about to die. That was on my first 929RR. I later bought another...and my head was not in it. I sold it and bought a Mustang as a toy and here I am, 6 Mustang later. I have a nice scar from the surgery...I miss it...but I'm good.

Not mine but these are the two I had towards the end....loved these bikes! The yellow one died.
unnamed.jpg
a70eedface0fbd483b71e6b193ef57a6.jpg

Last edited:

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Rode for about 13 years, Harley's. Had an accident after my first year riding, got lucky with a broken arm and dislocated wrist. All my fault. I would have rode the next day except my arm was broke and my bike was all but destroyed. As time went along, became less fun dealing with traffic, friends quit riding and as others have said, the reports of fatal crashes. Finally, my hips wouldn't let me ride than more than about 20 minutes without becoming painful. Couldn't get a comfortable position. Both will need replacements, both have had surgeries to clean them up to push the replacements down the road. Four wheels much better.

7upstang

Established Member
Rode for 8 years, enjoyed riding a ton but didn't LOVE riding. Riding in season with Snowbirds is difficult, they will hit you in a car because they don't know where they are.

Took one last ride several years ago to move my dad's bike and was almost hit. The freedom and thrill isn't worth my life.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Always wanted to get into it but, saw way to many deaths. I cant imagine riding being to fun when you constantly have to be in defense mode.

My94GT

Established Member
I gave up riding a few years back. I miss it but really I don’t have the time for the riding I enjoy which is track days. I had only rode for one season (never rode a bike prior) before doing my first track day. Then I did California super bike school, then was hooked. Did two seasons of track days but after a nasty wreck and some time off life got busy, house, wife, kids.

I just don’t enjoy it if I’m not going balls to the wall so the street wasn’t for me.

SHOdown220

Established Member
It's barely safe to drive in a car anymore, let alone a motorcycle...

I have a pretty good commute to work, and the number of people I see on their phones while driving is astounding.

Yeah my work commute is about 27 miles, I cut out commuting on the bike awhile back after watching people drive like complete idiots trying to get to work. I will still rarely ride in but when I do its at 6 am Saturday mornings when traffic is next to nothing.

I try to mitigate the risk as much as possible, wear appropriate gear, ride defensively, pick areas with low traffic, etc. The type of riding I do now sure is different than it used to be lol. I used to ride anywhere at any time going way to damn fast, thought I was invincible. I learned my lesson when I topped a hill going some number of digits higher than the speed limit and the unfamiliar road I was on dead ended into a field. Walked away lucky from that, didn't deter me from riding but sure changed my habits.

_Snake_

Established Member
Sold my Harley to put a down payment on a house in FL and had every intention of using the equity in the house I was selling to buy a new scooter. I started dating and eventually marrying an ER nurse, so no bike for me.

08mojo

Established Member
I've ridden a motorcycle for most of my life. I gave up street riding due to the idiots on the roads--and yes it is much worse now that people consider driving a second priority when behind the wheel. Too many are buried in their phone vs paying attention.

I keep all of my 2-wheel activities to off-road only. More thrills, lower speeds and 99% of the time if you wreck it's your own fault. I'm okay with riding within my limits, but not okay with being taken out by a bad driver.

jshen

Established Member
I rode from 1972 to 1985..about ten big bikes...This is while I was working as an LEO in Atlanta area..People constantly cutting me off, turning in front or just plain ignoring me. During those years I worked on the street, wrote up average of 5 car wrecks per day and only worked ONE bike wreck in my street career that did not involve a fatality. It finally sunk in in 85- I love em but I am wiser now.........

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I am going to be cooling my jets for a while, one of my best buds and riding buddy went down a few weeks ago, bike totaled and he got pretty banged up, 2 broken ribs, right shoulder separated etc...full leathers, good gear definitely kept it from being worse...

coremaster21

Established Member
I have been in two motorcycle accidents in the past year and they have both been my fault. And both on a Bmw s1000rr.
First was a 2012 - I was riding with a few buddies going around a blind corner and rear ended one of my friends because he slowed down and I didn't know it till it was too late; got a concussion, broken thumb and road rash. About 6 months later I sold that bike and bought another Bmw, this one a 2016. Last month I low slided it into a guard rail taking an off ramp. Sprained my wrist and my ankle with more road rash.

I always wear good gear but I can only buy so many helmets lol. I started riding about two years prior to all this and never dropped my bike, wrecked or anything. Once I started meeting other biker friends and going out late at night that is when it all turned for the worst. I have been scolded by my parents, girlfriend, leadership its been pretty terrible but at least I still have my life and all of my limbs. I will probably keep my bike once its repaired but keep it in storage for a while until I grow up, too attached to let it go.

Users who are viewing this thread