• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

Who’s given up motorcycle riding?

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by SHOdown220, Apr 15, 2021.

1. SVTdreamin04

SVTdreamin04 What's a "Termi"??? Premium Member Established Member

I had a F6B and a Street Glide in 2013. I rode to Sturgis and rode 5,000 miles that week all together...then a month later, we had our first child on the way. Now I still have my street glide I bought new in ‘09, but rarely ride. I have pretty much given up riding because it’s not as fun without the wife. I sold the F6B that I bought for riding around the Country on with the wife. I rode more miles in one week in 2013 than I have rode up to current date. My Street Glide has around 27,000 miles on it now. Prior to kids, it was not only for enjoyment, I rode to work and everywhere I went. I was not a fair weather rider.

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 20. Dirt bikes and 4 wheelers since I was 11 or 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SVTdreamin04

I had a cousin I’m close with get life lined due to a kid pulling out in front him years back. I did the same for a minute. If you love it and don’t have kids in your way of doing it, you’ll go back to it pretty quick and regret you gave it up.

3. SVTdreamin04

I have an uncle who has been riding Goldwings since 01. He has had three, all bought new. The first one, he put 140,000 miles on it in 2007, he sold the ‘07 in 2015 with 136,000 miles on it and bought a new 2015 that now has almost 50,000 miles on it.

He has rode in all 50 states, having to rent a Harley in Hawaii to finish things off. He has so many stories to tell that he’s experienced on the seat of a Goldwing.

delvin.a and jvandy50 like this.
  4. SVTdreamin04

I have an uncle who has been riding Goldwings since 01. He has had three, all bought new. The first one, he put 140,000 miles on it in 2007, he sold the ‘07 in 2015 with 136,000 miles on it and bought a new 2015 that now has almost 50,000 miles on it.

He has rode in all 50 states, having to rent a Harley in Hawaii to finish things off. He has so many stories to tell that he’s experienced on the seat of a Goldwing.

5. Carbide

Carbide Active Member Established Member

I had a 2003 GL1800 that I put 140k on as well. Great touring bikes.
    I bought a new FJR1300ES last July and put 11k on that in the first 4 months before the snow came.
    Hoping to put 20k more on it this season.

SVTdreamin04 likes this.
  6. SVTdreamin04

Nice! The rain doesn’t scare you either with those kind of miles you’re racking up. Lol.

7. My94GT

My94GT Well-Known Member Established Member

You’ll be hard pressed to find someone more dedicated to what they do. His tuning knowledge is second to none as well. My suggestion as someone who was once new to it, try to do a track weekend sooner vs later. I learned more in one weekend vs my whole first season of riding on the street.

JpL4K3 likes this.
  8. GOTSVT?

GOTSVT? This Is Absolution Premium Member Established Member

Gave it up 25 yrs ago. Always thought about buy-in another one and parking it in my office to look at.

9. blueovalfan

blueovalfan Active Member Established Member

I just got back into it last weekend then saw this thread. Thanks guys, total buzz kill haha

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

10. SHOdown220

SHOdown220 Well-Known Member Established Member

lol sorry man. For what it’s worth I’ve been out twice already since I saw what I did and started this thread. I just can’t seem to even think about not having a motorcycle in my garage.

11. Carbide

Carbide Active Member Established Member

I just got back from riding 900 miles in the Ozarks all week.

beau t and ShelbyGT5HUN like this.
  12. jvandy50

jvandy50 Well-Known Member Established Member

I sold my FZ09 shortly after my girl was born, but I'm wanting to get back into it now. I've been riding since I was 9, legally on the street since I was 12(AR used to not require a license for anything under 50cc, lots of people getting DWI then subsequently a scooter lol). Dad worked at a Yamaha/Honda shop, the dude raced everything he could get his hands on, and so he trusted me with a LOT of responsibility at a young age. Can you imagine the Karens that would call DHS on my family these days if a 6th grader pulled up to school with his own transportation??

Behold, a Google image of my first street legal, 2 stroke, 53mph top speed with my early puberty ass on it, most ugly beautiful bike I'll never forget...the Yamaha DT50!!

8f831504dca03bf0230eb65684c25d45.jpg

Before this I had a 70s model YZ-125 to learn on...

Afterwards was a Yamaha Serow 225(legal at 14 in AR)
    Then...
    1989 Honda VTR 250, also legal at 14
    2001 Yamaha R6 (all time personal fav)
    2007 Yamaha raven R1
    2014 Yamaha fz09...because I wanted more upright seating

Next...I'm between a KTM SD 1290, and BMW S1000rr...but have informed my family if I'm taken out by someone on their phone to go after them fully...if a true accident then so be it

13. dan1982

dan1982 Member Established Member

Brett sold it to some dumb ass in NY... been back to the builder 3 times and running well with a brake upgrade and new rims on the way. the never-ending build. great bike none the less.

Attached Files:

14. dan1982

death waiting to happen. [​IMG]

SVTdreamin04 likes this.
  15. dan1982

death waiting to happen.

16. Fdawg97lx

Fdawg97lx Well-Known Member Established Member

I rode from 2008-2014. I rode mostly sport bikes and I loved it. I originally sold my bike in 2014 to help fund my wedding. Fast forward a couple of years and we had our first son. I decided I will stay away from bikes now for the same feelings you are having. I couldn't imagine having my two sons grow up without a dad or the burden me being gone would put on my wife with the two kids and a house to pay for. maybe later in life i will ride again. I still need a toy in my life so last summer i picked up another cobra. much safer and now my wife and boys can come with me

17. nxhappy

nxhappy Well-Known Member Established Member

I keep going off and on for street riding. This time, I may be done. However I will always ride dirt. Can't wait to get my girls riding soon. Once you taste the motorcycle freedom ....there is no going back.

18. geoffmt

geoffmt Well-Known Member Established Member

IMG_3580.JPG IMG_3544.JPG IMG_2344.JPG
    I have ridden off and on since a teenager, rode dirt, rockets and harleys. Had to take a couple seasons off due to shoulder surgeries the last 2 years but can finally ride again.
    We lose a friend or two every year it seams, have a friend in the icu now from a crash 4 weeks ago. Couldn’t even go visit while I was in the same hospital for pneumonia-blood clots and collapsed lung. If you are careful, realize that every other person on the road is trying to kill you and have escape routes then it’s much easier riding. Certain areas are much more dangerous than others from traffic or animals( I have almost hit deer and a bear). But don’t be afraid to live your life, none of us get out alive. I ride a little less every year it seems, damn cobra is too much fun to drive. But riding brings peace to me. So I won’t give it up until I just can’t ride anymore

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

19. Cman01

Cman01 hello Established Member

I've had my motorcycle license for like 40 years, never owned a bike but did ride a few years ago when dealers had test ride days so I would go and try them out (with no intention to purchase one).

Have ridden a Yamaha cruiser, a Kawi sport bike and a dirt bike (can't remember brand).

The closest I got to almost buying a bike was back in 1997 I think almost pulled the trigger on a new CBR900RR Honda until I found out what insurance would cost for it more than insurance for my new at the time 96 Pontiac Formula so that ended my plan for bike ownership.

Tony

20. Deceptive

Deceptive Brad's Spirit Donkey Premium Member Established Member

I sold my Nightster almost three years ago due to a lack of time to ride. I really want to get another one. I have stuff that is purely toys. I probably won’t get another until I move though.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com