• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

Who’s given up motorcycle riding?

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by SHOdown220, Apr 15, 2021.

1. KilledbyKenne

KilledbyKenne Well-Known Member Established Member

I never got into riding motorcycles for many of the reasons stated by others. A quick thrill just isn't worth putting my life in the hands of every driver around me. I'll stick to the cage life.

03Sssnake and mysticsvt like this.
  2. Adower

Adower Well-Known Member Established Member

Moved from the street to dirt a while back. Still tons of fun!

matab14, Fat Boss and 03Sssnake like this.
  3. Ramairgt1

Ramairgt1 Miss you Established Member

Rode from 2000-2010 before giving it up after a friend was killed. Haven't even thought about riding again, especially since I have kids now. Georgia drivers are terrible and there is no way I'd ride a motorcycle in this traffic.

jshen, 13COBRA and 03Sssnake like this.
  4. Carbide

Carbide Active Member Established Member

Been riding street since 1981, having amassed 350,000+ miles so far. Been track riding since 2012. Dirt riding since 1973.
    I will not give it up.

Currently have:
    2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
    2018 Yamaha YZ250FX
    2016 BMW S1000RR
    2015 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
    2014 Yamaha 125 Zuma
    2003 Yamaha YZF-R1

5. Recon

Recon Well-Known Member Established Member

I quit before I started. My father’s best friend, who’s an avid rider, offered to show me the basics when I got my Honda. It was decided that a certain weekend, we were going to take it to my local high school football stadium (big parking lot that, most of the time, is uninhabited). Well the Tuesday before that weekend, that man was hit on his bike. And for 8 weeks the only appendage he could move was his right arm. There was a rod that was screwed in his pelvis, coming out of his body and going into the other side of his pelvis, holding him together. 4 surgeries in 4 days for other broken bones and rods and screws being put in.
    I took it as a sign. I’m not going down this road. And if something like this happened to me and I couldn’t drive a manual I wouldn’t be a happy camper. Also converting the cars to autos would cost quite a lot.

Pick your poison.

VegasMichael likes this.
  6. MG0h3

MG0h3 Well-Known Member Established Member

Sold my ZX10R when I moved from a city of 30k to one with 700k and literally the worst drivers I’ve seen in my life and I’ve driven all across the country for work.

Spaced out and aloof drivers are what will kill you, not aggressive ones.

Still miss it but probably won’t unless I move to a different area

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

7. AustinJ427

AustinJ427 Well-Known Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

I grew up with dirt bikes and around 18 I bought a street bike, quickly upgraded to a 600RR and rode that for a while.

Not sure exactly what made me stop but I think it was a particularly rough ride.

My 600 had a -1 +3 so the fuel economy was terrible, I swapped my room mate for his ninja 500 and rode to Montana to "meet" my parents who flew up there and my mom was livid.

On the way back home (550 miles), it was 40 degrees and raining and it was like late June, so I had my summer gear. I've never been that cold in my life. I think that made me not want to ride on the street anymore if I had to guess. I never laid a street bike down which I'm thankful for, but I have got my ass handed to me in the dirt more times than I can count lol.

I just bought a shitty dual sport chyna bike as a pit bike that I will take camping.

RedVenom48 likes this.
  8. 03cobra#694

03cobra#694 I Have LL’s Hammer Staff Member Super Moderator

No way in hell would I ride a bike here. That said, it never appealed to me.

jshen likes this.
  9. ZYBORG

ZYBORG Let's roll.. Established Member

Some of the best times of my life were had on a bike... then moved onto cars... did so much dangerous shit to have died more than a handful of times... now life isn’t just about me, so I gotta make sure I stick around for a few..

38AE249C-97AA-4C97-9313-09DEACE2F4EB.jpeg

Dirks9901 and 03Sssnake like this.
  10. 7998

7998 Don't Care Established Member Malt Liquor Mafia

Damn you're short

11. ZYBORG

ZYBORG Let's roll.. Established Member

at 71.5” I’m neither nor...

03Sssnake likes this.
  12. SSCOBRA03

SSCOBRA03 Active Member Established Member

Started riding in 1984 with a Suzuki GS550G.
    Went through a 1982 Honda CB-900F SS, 1982 Suzuki GS1100, Suzuki Katana 1100, 96 GSXR-1100 and currently a 2001 ZX11.

Haven't rode in a few years due to knees, back and wrists but I do miss it.

13. fireman02

fireman02 Active Member Established Member

Like others here, I stopped due to kids. When my 2nd kid was born, I knew riding all day on a Saturday or Sunday was going to cause an argument or 2 with the Mrs. From 2000-2010 I rode as much as possible from Spring to late Fall. Bikes I had
    2000 Gsxr600
    2001 TL1000R
    2002 TL1000R
    1996 Harley Springer softail
    Once spring hits I get the urge to buy another one. However, my job is a great check as I unfortunately go on a handful of serious to fatal motorcycle accidents each year.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

VegasMichael likes this.
  14. Sinister04L

Sinister04L RIP Kane Established Member

The new Busa is calling to me in a big way. I must resist though. I stopped riding years ago due to shitty distracted drivers. I almost get sideswiped every day in my big ass truck by idiots with their faces buried in their phones I'm not taking that chance on a bike anymore.

jvandy50 and RedVenom48 like this.
  15. 03Sssnake

03Sssnake TK-421 Established Member Beer Money Bros.

My buddies bike when I went pick it up from the impound lot. He got brake checked, grabbed a handful of brakes, endo-flipped the bike into the car that checked him up on 45 North..

AA1D6E09-334B-4378-9BCC-2DB749FB6C96.jpeg

RedVenom48 likes this.
  16. RedVenom48

RedVenom48 Ghost Editor-in-Chief Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

Rode for 8 years, owned 3 harleys in that time span. Rode bike-only for about a year and a half. Some guys live the bike only life, I did it and killed the joy of riding. Got a great deal in a 14 GT and said adios to Harleys, cruisers and terrible performance.

A few years later, I needed a carpool lane capable and better gas mileage ride to work. Living in San Diego county, I had a 70 mile daily commute in the months before I moved to AZ. I bought a 2004 Yamaha FZ1 and jesus christ did it blow all the Harleys out of the water. Like, the performance of the FZ1 literally made me salty about all the money I threw away on Harleys. Best bike I ever owned.

Almost got smoke a number of times on the Harleys, and once on the FZ1 in CA. Moved to AZ and my God, its indescribable how much WORSE the drivers are out here. I felt far more comfortable lane splitting the 5 in SD, orange county and the occasionally jaunt up to LA than I did in normal traffic in Phoenix.

Add to it I was getting bored not riding at or over 100mph, mixed with shity Phoenix drivers ... not a good recipe.

I miss it occasionally when I see a liter bike go flying by. Ironically, I've developed a bit of distain for Harleys, lol.

VegasMichael and 03Sssnake like this.
  17. RedVenom48

RedVenom48 Ghost Editor-in-Chief Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

I rode with a decidedly Offensive mindset. Yes, it inherently makes you an asshole, but I dictated how others to reacted to me. Defensive riding, in my opinion, is a fast way to getting smoked.

I'm glad your buddy is relatively ok. **** that car that checked him. What a ****.

03Sssnake likes this.
  18. 03Sssnake

03Sssnake TK-421 Established Member Beer Money Bros.

he was riding on 45 in the hood... they drive like ****ing animals...man I am always very reluctant to ride on the hwy in certain areas of Houston... **** that noise...

gimmie11s, Sinister04L and RedVenom48 like this.
  19. coremaster21

coremaster21 Well-Known Member Established Member

*Dress for the slide not the ride

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_3073.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

geoffmt and RedVenom48 like this.
  20. GNBRETT

GNBRETT Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

Me! I value my life a lot more these days than I did when I was younger. I had a 620 whp Turbo Hayabusa with a GT40r. It was DEATH waiting to happen!

Worked HARD and saved my whole life and have no interest eating out of straw for the remaining years cause Karen was texting her BBF and crosses over the line and crushes my spine!

Just not worth it. Doesn't matter how safe u are ur still at the mercy of Karen and her stupidity.