White Smoke?

cobradude111

Established Member
Can Any Of You Terminator Experts Tell Me What Might Cause A Small Amount Of White Smoke (small Puffs). It Only Happens When I Run The Car Hard, But The Car Seems To Run Fine.....no Stalling,missing Or Any Other Sign Of Problems......just A Little Concerned, Any Help Would Be Appreciated Thanks

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
White smoke is usually indicative of water in the combustion chamber. Most of the time this is from condensation from when the hot engine cooled down, but as you say you see it after a hard run, I would say possibly a small head gasket leak. Keep a good eye on your dip stick for milky/foamy oil, and check the top of your oil filler cap for a milky residue. If your oil stays clean, and you don't have problems starting the car in the morning, you are probably ok. If you do see evidence of water in the oil, get your head gasket replaced quicker than ASAP. Antifreeze destroys main and rod bearings faster than you would believe.

Good luck,
Dan

cobradude111

Established Member
Thanks For The Info Dan, My Oil Looks Fine No Sign Of Water Or Coolant And No Milky Residue On The Cap. The Car Does Have A Slight Tick For About Ten Seconds After It Has Set Overnight......should I Be Concerned?

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
cobradude111 said:
Thanks For The Info Dan, My Oil Looks Fine No Sign Of Water Or Coolant And No Milky Residue On The Cap. The Car Does Have A Slight Tick For About Ten Seconds After It Has Set Overnight......should I Be Concerned?

Nah - our cars are like that. If you put a synthetic oil in it will help that a bit, but it will never truly go away under the current head design. Keep an eye on your oil, and you'll be fine.

Good luck,
Dan

cobradude111

Established Member
Good To Know, I Was A Little Worried. I Just Saw That Thread About Piston Slap, It Seems Alot Of Cobra Owners Experience It. It Sucks, But At Least It Goes Away. What Kind Of Oil Do You Recommend...mobil 1 , Royal Purple, Etc......thanks

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I use Mobil 1 5w30 - but only after the first 1k miles. Use dinosaur oil prior to that for a good engine break-in and seal conditioning.

Later,
Dan

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Personally I would check your plugs. If you shine a light into the cyl with plug pulled see if any of your pistons have oil on them. If your blowing noticable smoke any time other than startup you could have piston/ring damage.

cobradude111

Established Member
it looks like i MAY have all sorts of problems, leaking head gasket, piston/ring damage, and or bad ic o-rings........where do i begin, no warranty THIS SUCKS!

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
cobradude111 said:
it looks like i MAY have all sorts of problems, leaking head gasket, piston/ring damage, and or bad ic o-rings........where do i begin, no warranty THIS SUCKS!

I wouldn't panic just yet. Check your torque on the head bolts first. It may just be as simple as a leaky head gasket.

:thumbsup:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
cobradude111 said:
After a hard run get out and smell the exhaust, does it smell like oil or coolant? That will be a prime indicator of where to start. The head gaskets on these cars are actually pretty damn good. They dont leak like the old pushrod motors. Even with melted heads and 17psi of boost I had no coolant leaks.

Jpjr

Established Member
cobradude111 said:

this board is famous for assuming worst case scenario. address the problem dilligently, but don't send your motor to the junk yard just yet. in my experience 8 out of 10 times the problem is not as bad as you think.

if your head gasket is leaking your coolant will be f'd too. so check it. with a shot gasket not only can coolant leak into the combustion chamber, but oil can leak out. if your coolant is old, change it to new and closely monitor level and color from the surge tank. if its getting low or discolored you have a prob.

cobradude111

Established Member
I Checked My Coolant And The Color Is Good, But It Was A Little Low. I Put A 22 Ounce Cup Of Water In It And It Topped It Off. Should I Be Concerned Considering The Coolant Has Been In There For Adout 10k. I Guess Ill Watch It Closely To See If The Level Drops. My Oil Looks Good, But I Am Going To Change It Anyway Just To Be Sure. Thanks To Everyone For The Info, I Really Appreciate It.

Users who are viewing this thread