• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Whipple or TVS? Lots of questions before the big buy.

Discussion in 'Terminator Talk' started by SonicBluTermi, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Bdubbs

Bdubbs u even lift bro? Established Member

I'm not tired of my little 2.3 tvs on e85 yet. It's super fun to drive! I just need to break in this damn clutch already.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2. Iamchris

Iamchris Shakey Snake Established Member

When I had to make the same choice, I almost went with a 2.9 because bigger is better, right? Hell, I almost pulled the trigger on a 2.9 Mammoth. The truth is, that is a lot of blower and based on what others are seeing for performance, you need to spin it well into its range for it to be worthwhile.
    I scoured the forum and every other forum I could find and compiled as much info as I could.
    I found that the blowers were actually very similar in the ranges that they shared. The TVS 2.3 in my hack-analysis appeared to outperform the 2.9 just a bit though, making more torque and horsepower, appearing to be a bit more efficient within its range. But that is the thing, there were more cars breaking into big numbers on the 2.9 Whipple, especially with the Mammoth.
    My aspiration is 600+ on pump, and 700+ on E-85. I found that even then I needed to beef the car up a bit, but not wanting to step up to a Magnum, or build a new motor, I didnt want to make 800+
    I felt confident that the 2.3 TVS was the right choice for me based on my goals, it would perform more efficiently to do what I wanted it to do. The only shortfall in my opinion is that you would need a lower pulley to reach the high end on the TVS. I don't recall if that is the case with the 2.9. I would prefer to keep the stock lower, but it is a concession to be made, at least with the TVS.
    I have all the parts to be installed, I just completed the driveline upgrades though and have a little while for break-in before I can continue with the poweradder mods

TP03 and SonicBluTermi like this.
  3. BlckBox04

BlckBox04 I am the liquor Established Member

as long as these companies continue to produce these blowers, the debate between what is better is never going to end.
    Everyone has to understand, dyno numbers don't mean $h!t. It's a nice way of pounding your chest but I've seen cars with 500hp blow the doors off cars with 800hp because of every other variable that no one takes into consideration.
    my 2.9 made 700hp 660tq on c16, stock lower pulley and a fuel system

4. TP03

TP03 Active Member Established Member

You guys aren’t making my decision any easier (upgrading blower in the spring). I seriously change my mind weekly about going with 2.3 or 2.65. I wish VMP would put out more YouTube content on the 2.65 with the 03/04, to win me over. As of right now I’m leaning towards the 2.3 tvs.

5. BlckBox04

BlckBox04 I am the liquor Established Member

by next spring they'll probably be another slew of versions out

TP03 likes this.
  6. VMP Performance

VMP Performance Member Established Member

Give us a call anytime, we are always down to chat about your build and find the best possible solution to help you make the power you want

TP03 likes this.
  7. NateDogg

NateDogg Terminator Established Member

I'm selling a 2.3 TVS (GEN2) with GT500 Tb

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

c6zhombre likes this.
  8. Bdubbs

Bdubbs u even lift bro? Established Member

Actually a lower pulley isn't really necessary. I'm running a 2.6 upper and stock lower. I'm at 21 lbs of boost with headers.

Although having everything just right is critical. I have the whipple sliding aux pulley bridge, thump tensioner, and the 2.6 pulley is carbinite coated in the grooves. It creates a lot of belt dust, but I to wanted to keep the stock lower.

I'm sure some may want to run more boost like 23lbs, but why not just up the timing a little more?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Iamchris likes this.
  9. from6to8

from6to8 Member Established Member

any negatives of having both tunes vs just dialed in for one tune?

10. roy_1031

roy_1031 roy1031 Established Member

Planning your trips around e85 can be bothersome. On average I got about 130-150 miles on e85. Worst I got was 70 miles to a tank. The down side about being on e85 is that it isn’t always everywhere here. Where as on 91, literally every gas station has 91. When I went e85 I only had an e85 tune. I didn’t bother with 91 after going e85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

c6zhombre and from6to8 like this.
  11. MG0h3

MG0h3 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

You cant really go wrong with the 2.3. Add E85 and youll need big bucks into suspension, tires, clutch, trans before power is an issue.

E85 on any of these is 700 all day. Thats at least 770hp.

Sent from the El Paso JR college dorm using the svtperformance.com mobile app

c6zhombre and TP03 like this.
  12. MG0h3

MG0h3 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

No. I have a 91 (no 93 here) and an E tune. 15 psi and 20 respectively.

I have no intention of taking long trips so its not a huge issue. Keep handheld in car. No doubt i could limp home with the 20/21 psi pulley on with 91 and tune.

Sent from the El Paso JR college dorm using the svtperformance.com mobile app

from6to8 and TP03 like this.
  13. from6to8

Yes that's why i didn't get a car recently
    Yeah definitely considered it I mean there's a nice car in California but it set up on E85 only and I like the car but from all of my research and even downloading the app for to see how the how many tanks were near my area and stuff like that just didn't seem reasonable. And not even worried about just my area because I will be driving the car sometimes on an hour trip consistently on the weekends sometimes when I'm driving on the weekends and maybe even a two or three-hour trip sometime so I definitely would not want that to be a concern. There's one thing for there to be limited fuel stations with what if the actual one who have fuel that particular day don't have any LOL

14. TP03

TP03 Active Member Established Member

What size pulleys do you run? Only have 91 and e85, so I plan on running a 2tune setup as well. I don’t want to mess with the lower, I’ll be keeping it stock.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  15. c6zhombre

c6zhombre E85 NutSwinger Established Member

If that car you considered was "E85 only".....that's really a poor description. If the car has the fuel system capacity to run ethanol....its just a matter of dialing in another tune for gasoline. Not a big deal at all. The only piece of hardware you might need is a different pulley to bring the boost down lower.

16. c6zhombre

c6zhombre E85 NutSwinger Established Member

Someone will jump on that fast I would think.....is it already sold?

17. NateDogg

Not yet. I have it posted on facebook but haven't pushed it to hard yet.

Still debating on keeping it or getting one of those new 2.9s

18. from6to8

no not the only thing. The car has an aluminator shortblock @ 10:1 and I called the tuner to ask about doing a dual tune. He said that they don't make a pulley setup large enough or small enough, whatever's required to get the boost down low enough to be able to get 15 lbs of boost IIRC totally what he said but that's the jist of it. If it was doable then I'd definitely consider the car for what I want to do with iit. Running pump gas would be the way to go for me and in fact if I bought a car that didn't have e85, now that I've thought about it and learned a little more about it, not sure just seeing that 700 hp number would be enough for me as to what I'll use the car for. No track and just a nice mean street car which I'll do a lot of cruising in as well

19. from6to8

Nate how much are you selling for?

20. NateDogg

3200 plus fees and shipping