Whipple or KB?

sikcobra03

Established Member
Ok, so I have a dilemna. Now i cant decide between a whipple or kb blower. so im gonna ask for some input. I want to get the most power i can without changing out the internals for now. would i be able to run the kb
2.4L blower on pump gas? and what kind of numbers would i be putting out with either set-up? help me out guys, its my first supercharged car, and i dont want to make an un-educated decision. thanks.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
both blowers make power. i've heard bad things about kenne bell customer service and quality of their blower. whipple is top notch in both service and quality and it looks better in my opinion. i love mine and don't regret getting it one bit. last i heard the whipple could be had for $2900 shipped new from ford. contact steve tousley ford.

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
Both blowers will make the power you want (or similar power anyway) and I don't think you will be disappointed either way. I don't remember where fair oaks is, but kenne bell is in Rancho, so you may be able to get past the bad customer service by seeing them in person. I think the whipple comes out cheaper though and like said above, I like how it looks better. I personally like the name whipple too lol. I think with the new kb blowers the whipple MAY be louder now, but I don't even own a terminator (although I'm around them a lot) so take everythign I say with a grain of salt.

All that said, I'd go whipple.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I like Whipple! I have been in contact with customer service and they are fantastic. They have responded to all of my e-mails and returned my phone calls.

I have no experience with Kenne Bell but they do have a section here!

2003 SVT ROUSH

~SNAKE AND BAKE~
Established Member
Im from Fair Oaks too ... hmmm i wonder if i have ever seen you around ..

I think both blowers rock .. i used to run a whipple 2.3 it was awsome but i was stupid and didnt play right ... i was spitting out 19 psi on pump and hurt my rings .. but that was my fault ... so i had to sell the whipple to rebuild my motor ..
but they are awsome awsome blowers .. and the consomer service has always been kick ass to me .

sikcobra03

Established Member
Im from Fair Oaks too ... hmmm i wonder if i have ever seen you around ..

I think both blowers rock .. i used to run a whipple 2.3 it was awsome but i was stupid and didnt play right ... i was spitting out 19 psi on pump and hurt my rings .. but that was my fault ... so i had to sell the whipple to rebuild my motor ..
but they are awsome awsome blowers .. and the consomer service has always been kick ass to me .
dude, im sure u've seen me, maybe not recently or in my 03 cobra, cuz i just bought it, but i used to have a laser red 96 cobra convertible, maybe you saw me in that. anyways, do you know chris or eric eaton (red 03 cobra or white Mach 1)? or ricky bush (used to have a black 02 saleen drop top, now has a red 98 viper)? anyways, if you're at all into the car scene in that area, im sure you've met them.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Stock internals?? Go with a Whipple. These blowers are time proven, cheaper, with a better track record then KB, and look a ton better then a KB. If you have a built lower end and want 30 psi, KB 2.8.

Look at the people with 2.6L's, they are making about the same HP as a 2.3 L for $800.00 more with shitty costomer service and fitment issues.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Two guys in the same town I live in run KB's on their Cobras and both have had a multitude of issues. I run a Whiple 140ax and have had great results and make huge power. 642/640 with the 98 octane race tune at 19-20 lbs. I drive the car on the 17lb 621/587 tune and (larger 3.5 pulley) and it is alot of fun. There are very few cars around here that can run with me. I do have a 4lb lower as well to get to those boost levels. Car was tuned by RWTD and runs like a lamb till you go into boost.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
Whipple gets my vote too, they have exceptional customer service. If you think you're going to just cruise over to Kenne Bell everytime you have a problem....

Think again. I did that with my BAP and was told their wasnt anyone available to help me and I called first and told them I was coming. I live in Ventura too, it was a nice little drive there to get blown off. Good luck getting them on the phone too, average wait times are about 75 minutes.

Great blowers, really bad customer service.

Whipple usually make more HP at less boost and unless you are running a stroker motor, I hope you arent planning on running more than 15-17# on 91 octane.

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member
Stock internals?? Go with a Whipple. These blowers are time proven, cheaper, with a better track record then KB, and look a ton better then a KB. If you have a built lower end and want 30 psi, KB 2.8.

Look at the people with 2.6L's, they are making about the same HP as a 2.3 L for $800.00 more with shitty costomer service and fitment issues.

What is considered a built lower? I thought the stock cobra short block with forged internals is the strongest parts you can get.

Whats the rwhp limits on a stock motor with a kb/whipple?

Last edited:

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
What is considered a built lower? I thought the stock cobra short block with forged internals is the strongest parts you can get.

Whats the rwhp limits on a stock motor with a kb/whipple?

With 91 octane 575-600WR is safe. It's all in the tune.

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member
With higher octane to avoid detonation what hp levels could be reached?

Granted you have a trans and rear that could handle the punishment.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
With higher octane to avoid detonation what hp levels could be reached?

Granted you have a trans and rear that could handle the punishment.

You could push it to 19# with torco and see 600+, but at that point depending on how you drive your car, I would start saving for a rebuild.

Kenne Bell

Established Member
Two guys in the same town I live in run KB's on their Cobras and both have had a multitude of issues. I run a Whiple 140ax and have had great results and make huge power. 642/640 with the 98 octane race tune at 19-20 lbs. I drive the car on the 17lb 621/587 tune and (larger 3.5 pulley) and it is alot of fun. There are very few cars around here that can run with me. I do have a 4lb lower as well to get to those boost levels. Car was tuned by RWTD and runs like a lamb till you go into boost.

I hate these comments, please get me the names of these "Two guys" and I will call them and see what there "Multitude of issues" where. Everybody knows somebody! There are 2 sides to every story!:fm:

Mike@KB

Users who are viewing this thread