Whipple gen3 cobra reviews

Intervention302

Established Member
Did you opt for the crusher? Or staying standard inlet?
Standard for standard.

I'm taking Whipple's word on 30-45whp gain, at least that's my interpretation.

Going with custom Todd Warren cams

I'm 640whp on pump 17.5psi and 770whp e90 and 23psi.

I really want 700 on pump and 800+ on corn.

Totally stock lower end

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Standard for standard.

I'm taking Whipple's word on 30-45whp gain, at least that's my interpretation.

Going with custom Todd Warren cams

I'm 640whp on pump 17.5psi and 770whp e90 and 23psi.

I really want 700 on pump and 800+ on corn.

Totally stock lower end

Right on. Yea I follow you on Instagram as well. I would hope to see you in the 800whp range after some custom cams and a gen 3 swap.

I would be really impressed if you made 700 on pump no torco. But you should at the VERY least be at 800 with the ignite fuel.

Intervention302

Established Member
Right on. Yea I follow you on Instagram as well. I would hope to see you in the 800whp range after some custom cams and a gen 3 swap.

I would be really impressed if you made 700 on pump no torco. But you should at the VERY least be at 800 with the ignite fuel.
I don't drag race my car. I got made fun of for only trapping 137.25 on ignite.

Was not hooking for crap on my R888. I don't want big and littles and I don't want to cage it.

I like having fun on streets and 40 rolls.

My car is primarily pump. So my goal is 700whp on 93.

What will be interesting is how much, if any, boost I lose. If I can pulley down to 3.25", I'm sure I can hit it

UnrealSVT

Established Member
I don't drag race my car. I got made fun of for only trapping 137.25 on ignite.

Was not hooking for crap on my R888. I don't want big and littles and I don't want to cage it.

I like having fun on streets and 40 rolls.

My car is primarily pump. So my goal is 700whp on 93.

What will be interesting is how much, if any, boost I lose. If I can pulley down to 3.25", I'm sure I can hit it

Get head studs dude. Cheap insurance. You've got a beautiful car with some money in it. 23+psi they have a higher risk of lift. Not saying it will happen, but the "could" part would scare me into the purchase.

Intervention302

Established Member
Get head studs dude. Cheap insurance. You've got a beautiful car with some money in it. 23+psi they have a higher risk of lift. Not saying it will happen, but the "could" part would scare me into the purchase.
Some have told me to do it. Other have not

My cam guy and my tuner both said not necessary.

I don't think it's going over 23-24psi, and when it does it's not all that often

Jtone79

Established Member
I traded my g2 for a g3

I'll have results by late winter early spring....

Sadly, sort of, I'm installing a set of cams too so I wont have apples to apples
Did you find someone to buy your 2.9? I have a new in box 2.9 bought just before the gen 3 come out. Now I feel stupid. Lol. I'd love to see what it could do. I have a built engine with more compression and cams.

Sent from my Pixel using the svtperformance.com mobile app

UnrealSVT

Established Member
Did you find someone to buy your 2.9? I have a new in box 2.9 bought just before the gen 3 come out. Now I feel stupid. Lol. I'd love to see what it could do. I have a built engine with more compression and cams.

I would hold on to your new in box 2.9 until we start seeing some numbers from these gen 3 units...

stangfreak

Established Member
Definitely but Ken Bjonnes says the hype is real. He's working on one currently. We'll see

If its only a 30rwhp gain, is it worth upgrading for those who already have a gen 2? If it even makes 30rwhp. I may end up selling my car, but for me to upgrade to a gen 3, I have to see some big numbers

Jtone79

Established Member
If its only a 30rwhp gain, is it worth upgrading for those who already have a gen 2? If it even makes 30rwhp. I may end up selling my car, but for me to upgrade to a gen 3, I have to see some big numbers
On a normal car with a stock engine is it worth it? If probably say no but with me having a built engine with more compression I'd say I could benefit from it but again that's just me. From what I saw from Whipple, they say it will gain 30-150hp/tq. I'm sure the 150 gain being from an all out setup. I plan on pushing the limits. Lol

91strockercoupe

Established Member
Still installing mine i got the crusher and it needs a few alterations. Plus doing fuel system and 1” coolant plumbing aswell.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I traded my g2 for a g3

I'll have results by late winter early spring....

Sadly, sort of, I'm installing a set of cams too so I wont have apples to apples
But.....sometimes apples to apples comparisons CAN still be done even though they aren't equal. :cool:. Your new build is going to be stout with the cams. I'm looking forward to seeing new numbers and hearing your seat of the pants impressions. I've always admired your Cobra with what you've done!

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F0455e12e-d9f1-11e7-9b16-edd3826708d6.jpg

91strockercoupe

Established Member
But.....sometimes apples to apples comparisons CAN still be done even though they aren't equal. :cool:. Your new build is going to be stout with the cams. I'm looking forward to seeing new numbers and hearing your seat of the pants impressions. I've always admired your Cobra with what you've done!

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F0455e12e-d9f1-11e7-9b16-edd3826708d6.jpg

What are the cams most worth bang for buck?

Users who are viewing this thread