Whipple engine life

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
I have read reports on this forum about Terminators going over 80,000 miles on the odometer and even one at 129k. But how much engine life can you expect with a Whipple? My car is a daily driver that is about to turn 50,000 miles and I am considering installing a Whipple with all the appropriate fuel and cooling mods. It will be set at 15-17psi with a conservative tune and around 550rwhp. How many more miles should I get before I will need an engine rebuild? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

SSSNAKE03

WhippleCharged
Established Member
OKC03Cobra said:
I have read reports on this forum about Terminators going over 80,000 miles on the odometer and even one at 129k. But how much engine life can you expect with a Whipple? My car is a daily driver that is about to turn 50,000 miles and I am considering installing a Whipple with all the appropriate fuel and cooling mods. It will be set at 15-17psi with a conservative tune and around 550rwhp. How many more miles should I get before I will need an engine rebuild? Thanks for your input.

Never know...hell your engine could blow up in the next 5 miles with the stock blower...

Its all in the tune...get a good tune and you should be set

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
SSSNAKE03 said:
Never know...hell your engine could blow up in the next 5 miles with the stock blower...

Yep.

It will go when it goes. You have a lot of miles with no problems, so with a good tune there is no reason it should let go just because of the whipple.

-Jeff

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Yep.

It will go when it goes. You have a lot of miles with no problems, so with a good tune there is no reason it should let go just because of the whipple.

-Jeff

^

What they said.

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
SSSNAKE03 said:

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

djtyau

Established Member
If you are going to do the cooling mod, you should seriously consider a clutch upgrade as well. I don't know if I would go through all that work to do only the cooling mod.

etfhb

Established Member

04MC

Established Member
Good tune and not driving like a maniac ALL THE TIME helps A LOT too.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Even the tuners have learned a lot since the early days. This may be why there are fewer and fewer blown motors now.

-Jeff

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We're also seeing more motors being built when running with a twin-screw (or twin turbo). In the early days, that was rarely done. You just maxxed out the boost, got as good a tune as possible and hoped for the best. IMO if you're going to run big power (575rwhp+), build the motor. Not a necessity, but if built right you'll get max life out of the motor. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread