Whipple, anyone ever need theirs rebuilt? how many miles?

chief455

Established Member
I bought a used, mint looking late revision 2.3L for Cobra. it was running fine on car when removed, standard 3" pulley.
with unknown miles, should I have any reason to worry it should be checked out before using it?
they want $975 for rebuild, that is an ouch price on what is hopefully fine.
Oil is full to sight plug and clean.
Anyone have a Whipple failure? Any signs of pulley wobble or rotor scuffs?
Mine spins free and rotors are smooth.

cj428mach

Established Member
Whipples are pretty tough. If it spins freely, with no excessive play or bearing noise, throw it on and try it.

chief455

Established Member
thanks guys
it has light witness marks on the outer edge of both rotors, same marks on all edges, like they grazed casting flash bumps on the housing opening. maybe the very first time it was spun on a car. no play on the rotors, no wear marks anywhere else, like the rotors never touched.
A little oil showing on the grooves of the rotor vanes toward the snout - it was shipped on end, seals might have weeped, or could be that PCV was stock on previous owners set up. I can spray clean and blow that right off. Still sound like nothing to stress about?

cj428mach

Established Member
marks on the rotors is pretty common do a google search. More often than anything it was caused my little pieces of dirt/grit going through the blower and the tolerances are so tight that it grooves the rotors. I was nervous when my Whipple had some, and after some searches I found that knowledgeable people like Posi and even people with Whipple said they're common. Just for peace of mind I sent some pics of my rotors to Whipple and they confirmed that it was just some dirt/debris more than likely.

chief455

Established Member
marks on the rotors is pretty common do a google search. More often than anything it was caused my little pieces of dirt/grit going through the blower and the tolerances are so tight that it grooves the rotors. I was nervous when my Whipple had some, and after some searches I found that knowledgeable people like Posi and even people with Whipple said they're common. Just for peace of mind I sent some pics of my rotors to Whipple and they confirmed that it was just some dirt/debris more than likely.
of course this makes me feel better :)
Whipple tech did not comment on the pic I sent, just told me what oil to use and general rebuild price.
I thought exactly what you said at first = some dirt went in and in split second at 14k rpm the rotors got the tiny scratches. looking at the housing tolerance, it wouldn't take much. I'll know if it makes ANY noise to get it rebuilt.
thanks a ton for the reply.
PS - R code 69 Mach 1 428 SCJ shaker, 4spd, 3.25 locking rear was my third car. In primer, it had red interior and was red originally. bought in 1979 for $775 with headers the only thing not stock. Needed points to get running, that's all.
I traded it for a 69 GTX 440 4spd Dana 60 B5 blue car that was faster, until we both blew our engines ;) I took the Mach back and put a regular 428 in, never even got it running before I traded it for a 67 fastback, my second car that I wanted back. NO mopar!
those were the days...

Users who are viewing this thread