Whipple. Any idea how to fix this issue?

Russian 5-0

Established Member
Hello guys.
long story short. Installed last year a Whipple gen3 stage 1 (stock TB, closed air box, Whipple tune). Since then have this. See video below.
As I have no clue how to fix it. Did next:
1. tried different belts. Different lengths, different adjustable pulley locations. Another words - 95% belt tensioner, 80%70%, etc.
2. Checked all spark plug gaps (for 0.028")
3. Realigned an air duct to make sure there are less chances for "turbulence". lol. (last year whipple said it might be a turbulence). Along with that, tried to drive with and without an air box cover, with/without fog lights. lol. Just in case.
4. Updated tuner and reloaded whipple tune (2 times)
5. installed a boost gauge to see what is going on with a boost. That is how I came out with an idea about bypass valve flapping.
6. Installed a fuel pressure gauge to make sure there is no drop during boost. Btw I am using 93 Costco gas.
7. Removed and reinstalled a head unit to make sure all installed correctly.
8. Did a smoke test. Was looking for any leaks. All looks ok. No leaks.
9. Checked if by-pass valve opens and closes when engine on/off. It does.

When get chance, planning to clean pulleys (with brake cleaner) and rotate (in opposite direction belt).

Regarding a belt dust. Now, belt and pulleys look like this (see attached pics). Is belt dust normal or excessive ? I am pretty sure some is just a road dust. But who knows.

So...... Does anyone have experience with this? How did you fix it? I want to make sure that there is no mechanical issues before jumping into a new Tune (from PBD or another guys).

Thank you)

Attachments

• SAM_7504.JPG
    SAM_7504.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 144
  • SAM_7506.JPG
    SAM_7506.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 134
  • SAM_7507.JPG
    SAM_7507.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 127
  • SAM_7509.JPG
    SAM_7509.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 147

MG0h3

Established Member
That almost looks like metal on the pulley?

I suppose you could be having a contact issue, belt slips, gets loose and tension comes off..repeating over and over.

Is the tensioner able to move someone and hit something?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

stang910

Established Member
Do a datalog of throttle angle. Your throttle is probably surging causing the big swings in boost and vacuum.

Russian 5-0

Established Member
That almost looks like metal on the pulley?

I suppose you could be having a contact issue, belt slips, gets loose and tension comes off..repeating over and over.

Is the tensioner able to move someone and hit something?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I was thinking about it. My thought was: Due to the belt is short and tensioner is all way up (compressed position, almost no room for articulations) it might hit the end. So I put another belt, which is longer and which allowed tensioner for wider travel. Unfortunately didn’t help(((.

Russian 5-0

Established Member
Do a datalog of throttle angle. Your throttle is probably surging causing the big swings in boost and vacuum.

Will do. Was thinking about It before. So removed an air duct, Put key into start Position, and played with gas pedal to see if there is any lug on throttle/pedal position sensor. Throttle opens smooth, no lug. Might be different during driving or boost tho.

stang910

Established Member
Will do. Was thinking about It before. So removed an air duct, Put key into start Position, and played with gas pedal to see if there is any lug on throttle/pedal position sensor. Throttle opens smooth, no lug. Might be different during driving or boost tho.
Doesn't have anything to do with the throttle body relation to the pedal. The surge is caused by the tune. If the throttle model or torque tables are too far off you will have this issue.

Russian 5-0

Established Member
Doesn't have anything to do with the throttle body relation to the pedal. The surge is caused by the tune. If the throttle model or torque tables are too far off you will have this issue.

understood. when I do a datalog, what do I have to look for? throttle position angle graph? it has to be steady as per mine understanding. Right ?

Last edited:

Russian 5-0

Established Member
Stang910 you was right.
Did a data log and found this. See pic.
Pedal is steady but throttle fluttering under the boost

Attachments

• 21AF9F5F-ECAD-4260-A03A-8EA92E7B4E22.jpeg
    21AF9F5F-ECAD-4260-A03A-8EA92E7B4E22.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135

Users who are viewing this thread