Whipple 3300 Install-653 WHP

R1Lello

Established Member
:coolman:

Simply amazing............I have yet to hear of any major damage or blowup too. Anyone?? These motors seem built for punishment and a mod monster.

marc@kentucky

Established Member
R1Lello said:
:coolman:

Simply amazing............I have yet to hear of any major damage or blowup too. Anyone?? These motors seem built for punishment and a mod monster.

Yeah, all of that chatter about the weak rods has kindof settled some, huh?

BWH2003

Established Member
These cars havent really been around long enough. Anyone can take a motor past its safe point and get a few numbers. I suggest we all wait until these cars have some more mileage. The 03-04 cobras had similar statements about the motors being bulletproof. After a few years and thousands of miles that proved to be false. The Gt500 motors seem to be doing great so far but 20,000 miles later the weak rods might let go right through the block. Only time will tell. Until then I am impressed with the numbers they are putting out but I am still waiting to see if they hold or not.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
I was wondering what the limit was, I new that the rods weren't as strong as the terminators rods.

i have been told by several people the terminator is limited at 600 due to the pistons and the gt500 600-650 due to the rods.

chuckstang

Established Member
Ya, as far as max power, both cars have about the same safe limit of 600-650 but you can obtain max numbers from the gt500 all easier and cheaper :) If you don't include the price of the car of course lol

R1Lello

Established Member
chuckstang said:
Ya, as far as max power, both cars have about the same safe limit of 600-650 but you can obtain max numbers from the gt500 all easier and cheaper :) If you don't include the price of the car of course lol

However, bigger motor = less overall stress...........and torque curve broader than 4.6

chuckstang

Established Member
R1Lello said:
However, bigger motor = less overall stress...........and torque curve broader than 4.6
Yup and I think as long as you do not over rev the 5.4, it should live a nice long life.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
BWH2003 said:
The 03-04 cobras had similar statements about the motors being bulletproof. After a few years and thousands of miles that proved to be false.

In comparison to what we had prior to that, one could argue that the motors are somewhat bulletproof. Obviously everything will have it's limits, but 650 hp on anything is a good number.

I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't exactly call that false, but more of an exaggeration.

jleews6

Established Member
It made the 653 at only 15 pounds and they only turned it to 6200. That thing should live a long happy life.

JoePac

Established Member
BWH2003 said:
These cars havent really been around long enough. Anyone can take a motor past its safe point and get a few numbers. I suggest we all wait until these cars have some more mileage. The 03-04 cobras had similar statements about the motors being bulletproof. After a few years and thousands of miles that proved to be false. The Gt500 motors seem to be doing great so far but 20,000 miles later the weak rods might let go right through the block. Only time will tell. Until then I am impressed with the numbers they are putting out but I am still waiting to see if they hold or not.
Thankyou, Einstein!!!:lol: Oh I see you own a Term.:rollseyes

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Roush who helped develop the motor for the 03 cobra and shelby says that they are on barrowed time after 600 to the wheels for the shelby. and Ford sayed the cobra was tested to hold 700 flywheel. close to the same at the wheels. RPM is what kills rods. and DETONATION is what kills pistons. the rods in a 5.4 is so long thats why they dont spin them high RPM. Before everyone jumps on me on being a typical 03 owner. I ordered a Shelby but the dealer said 20K over sticker when I went to put down the down payment after they already agreed to sell for sticker, but another ford dealer offered them 10K over so they did some research on what they were selling for and decided to sell it for 20K over. am I bitter..... sure. but could buy one after IDIOTS stop paying over sticker and then the dealers will stop asking ADM. just like the 05 mustang, 03 cobra, thunderbird(remeber the insaine dealer markups they had?) wait a year or two and pick one up with a rebate. I wish O. John Colleti was still there he would have never let the rods pass. HE was the one that said H-beams in the 03 and the corrillo rods in the 00R. The shelby is mighty impressive but I would not buy one for even the MSRP anymore, because of dealers give me my X plan discount and I will. But not 100% willing to give up the 03 for on either. I am standing in line for the Boss, and still keep the 03. I wish ford would drop the name shelby from it and just call it a cobra. I dont care whose name is on the back I just want the stuff on/in the car.

BUt back on subject, it is sick on how easy it is to make power with the mod motor cars.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Where exactly does this "limit" come from? I mean the limit put on terminators was put there because based on previous incidents, that's about the HP they tend to let go. What sort of incidents is the limit on the GT500's based on?

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
Its all about piston speed (the cost of doing business with a stroker, and most tunes raise the limiter) and rod angle(draw a picture if you must).

I REALLY wish I could find that damm quote from Mahle, I got it off this site somehow...but it is in the giant farked hard drive of history.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
JoePac said:
Thankyou, Einstein!!!:lol: Oh I see you own a Term.:rollseyes

......says the phuckstik with 60 posts. :rolleyes: Your point being that he must be an idiot if he owns a Term????? This Shelby/Termy rivalry shit is getting old quick, especially coming from those who own NEITHER CAR!!

Back on topic, 653rwhp on 15lbs is sick! I assume this is on pump gas at that boost level??

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I thought the KB made like 800rwhp. Were those numbers not true, or are the tunes/boost levels that much different? Either way, great numbers at pretty low boost.

Users who are viewing this thread