Whipple 3.4L Crusher Intallation

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I just got my car up and running and thought it would be good to post up about how the install of my Crusher setup went. I've seen some people complain about the crusher and how difficult it was to install while I've seen others post up that the install was fairly easy.

In my case the install was no more difficult then any other blower I've installed on my car. There are a few things that I believe could be difficult if you didn't know how to approach them but I'm the type to think things through before driving myself crazy trying to do it.

So here we go.

I removed the 3.4L from my car with the blower still attached to the lower manifold. That's how I've always installed and removed superchargers on my car. To me assembling the entire setup out of the car is a lot easier to do. Especially since there's limited space to work with in regards to getting to the injectors, fuel rail bolts and blower to manifold bolts.

I then removed the Accufab TB from the plenum and removed the IAC. Then unbolted the 3.4L inlet from the supercharger. A few taps with a rubber mallet and the inlet pops right off.
IMG_0186.jpg

While I had then inlet off it was a perfect time for me to replace the old 60lb injectors with the new 80lber that require no harness adapters. I felt the I would need the larger injector to support the power level I'm looking to make.
Siemen Deka 80lb USCAR High Impedence Injectors (Set of 8) [M-9593-LU80] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
IMG_0188.jpg

Onto installing the massive Crusher inlet onto the blower. Before I did that I took a picture of the 2 inlets side by side to show how much larger the crusher is to the stock 3.4L inlet.
IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

I used a thin bead of red RTV to form a gasket on the inlet. Then put the inlet on by gently sliding it over the o-rings on the bypass assembly.
IMG_0190.jpg

Now there's a few bolts on the Crusher which at first make you feel that you could never get to them. However Whipple machined a few holes on the back of the inlet which are designed to allow you to get to them with an extension and socket. Just stick the extension through the hole and put the socket on from the inside and tighten the bolts that fasten the inlet to the blower case.
IMG_0199-1.jpg

Once the inlet was secure I then proceeded to install the IAC and the Huge Whipple Monoblade TB. Here's a pic of the Whipple monoblade next to the Accufab. As you can see there's a major different.
IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

The IAC uses a billet adapter with 2 supplied bolts to secure it to the inlet. You have to install a 45 deg NPT x Hose barb fitting onto the bottom of the adapter for the IAC. This is for the hose that you'll run from the IAC to the intake elbow of the Whipple CAI. When installing the 45 deg fitting I made sure to aim it towards the passenger side fender in order to make it easier to install the hose that goes from it to the intake.

On my car I completely got rid of the EGR and PCV system. I'm running K&N breathers on both valve covers. Here's a few pics of the ports I plugged on the back of the inlet as well as the ones that required barbed hose fittings for the remaining boost/vac lines.

I ended up plugging all 3 holes on the back of the inlet.
IMG_0233.jpg

Then just to the right of them there's 2 more ports.
IMG_0234.jpg

The botom one uses a small barbed fitting. I'm connecting the boost/vac line that comes off of the Y below to that barbed fitting.
IMG_0263.jpg

The upper port uses a larger 3/8" barbed fitting which connects to the 3/8" hose that's pictured below.
IMG_0268.jpg

Then I'm connecting this
IMG_0264.jpg

To the barb coming off the base plate of the blower that the red arrow points to.
IMG_0233-1.jpg

Last piece of the puzzle is to connect this boost/vac hose to the FRPS.
IMG_0265.jpg

Next is the important part.
Since there's no way to get to the back of the passenger side fuel rail with the blower on the car I made sure to install my fuel rail fittings and lines on the back of the blower before putting the blower back onto the car. I used a 45 deg XRP fitting on the passenger side and a straight O-ring boss fitting on the drivers side.
XRP 45 deg fitting I'm talking about.
XRP 45 degree -8an O-ring x -8an Male Flare [XRP-984508] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
0dce93a2a3cd381afd828e4668d4cbba.image.161x161.jpg

Then the hose end on the passenger side was a 45deg fitting and the drivers side worked perfectly with a 90 deg hose end. I used about 4ft of hose for each side knowing I only want to do this once. Then I tightened those fittings really good making sure I wouldn't have any leaks. It would suck to have to pull the blower again just to have to tighten a damn hose end.
IMG_0233-2.jpg

Now that I've got the entire assembly ready to go in myself and Jonas lifted her up onto the engine and tried to get it to seat. No go as there was something interfering with the back of the plenum. It was the firewall. Actually it was the plastic piece that protects the wiper motors and wiring at the back of the firewall. We put the blower back on the ground and with a 1/4" ratchet and a small socket (forget the size) and removed the plastic from the firewall. Attempt # 2. We lift the assembly up and in she goes. Make sure she's down firmly on the gaskets and locked into place.

Then I went to reinstall the plastic piece onto the firewall but there's a small lip on the bottom of it that simply would not pass in between the plenum and the firewall. Out comes the dremel and 5 minutes later with that lip removed the piece goes right in.
I didn't connect the harness to the injectors yet as I needed some clearance on the next step.

Now all I needed to do is install the bolts that hold the manifold to the heads. All of the bolts on the drivers side are a breeze. Same goes for the 4 starting from the front of the passenger side.

Here's another very important tip to make life easy.
I've received phone calls from more than one shop asking me if I knew how to get to that last bolt that's at the rear of the passenger side. This was before I had done the install myself. These guys were all baffled and couldn't figure it out. Well here's what I did which worked for me. Using a long 1/4" extension with a 90deg swivel end I installed the 10mm socket to the end of the swivel. I taped all connections where the extension and 10mm socket installed onto the 90deg swivel. I also taped the 10mm manifold to head bolt into the socket just enough to hold the bolt in it's place until it was tightened but not enough to where I couldn't pull the socket off the bolt once it was finally installed. I then used a long screw driver to turn that rear injector just a tad so that the connector on it was aiming as much to the front of the car as possible. Then I went at it from the front of the car by sliding the extension assembly with bolt along the fuel rail just to the left side of it. There's just enough room to get the 90deg swivel with bolt past the rear injector and I lowered the bolt into the hole. Put a couple of turns on it and I was golden. I kept that assembly on the bolt as I tightened the rest of the manifold to head bolts in the correct pattern and finished with that last rear passenger side bolt. Pulled the assembly that I made off the bolt and that's how I did it. Then I connected all of the injector connectors on the wiring harness to the injectors and moved on to the next step.
IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

Now that the blower was completely on the car and bolted down I needed to install the CAI. The CAI went together very easily. The MAF housing is huge. I measured it next to the 110mm to show the size difference.
IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

The only other thing I needed to do was drill 2 holes on the plastic intake elbow. One for the IAT 1 sensor and the other for the hose coming from the IAC. Since the Whipple Crusher MAF housing uses a 05+ slot style MAF I used one of our new adapter harness's to adapt the older 99-04 connector to the GT500 Maf sensor that I'm using.

Tightened up all of the hose clamps and that's it.

Hope that helps any of you looking to purchase or install a Whipple 3.4L Crusher package in the near future.
3.4L W210ax : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
Crusher Inlet Upgrade Kits : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Big thanks to Dustin Whipple for taking care of me on the inlet upgrade.. Oh and myself for giving the Crusher it's name! Woot!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyEqW_7QYIk"]YouTube - Lethal Performance 2003 Cobra with Whipple 3.4L Crusher and Built Motor[/ame]

If you guys have any questions regarding the 3.4L Crusher please feel free to give us a call.

Thanks, Jared

Users who are viewing this thread