Whipple 2.9L Stage 1 vs. Roush 2.3L Phase 1 ?

Stangra

Established Member
I'm looking at different blower options for my '14 GT and sorting through a lot of info. Living in CA I need a set-up that can be smog legal. I kinda like the Whipple 2.9 but I'm wondering if it's really worth the extra bucks since I'll be running it on a basically stock coyote motor. Thoughts anyone? Is there a compelling reason to want the larger blower if I'm only pushing 500-600rwhp? Any 'must-have' supporting mods for this level of performance?

All comments appreciated, a stupid question's better than a stupid mistake!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I you are talking about the Gen 3 2.9 then that blower will make a lot more power and is a lot more efficient than the old 2.3. It all comes down to your goals and how much you want to make. If you are comparing the basic kits though the new Whipple will make quite a bit more power than the 2.3.

I have always been a fan of the TVS blowers since they make so much power down low. Additionally, when you take the basic kit and add a larger inlet elbow/throttle body coupled with the right air intake you can gain 40 plus hp from these mods alone. However, this adds cost and before you know it you are at the same cost as a basic whipple kit.

My advice would be to hold off until Black Friday and Lethal will have some killer prices on Whipple blowers.

jeffs

Established Member
Go cheaper if you truly don't see yourself upgrading your motor at some point. any of the power adders on the market are capable of producing enough power to spit stock rods out. If you might upgrade your engine at some point, you might consider the Whipple with more room to grow for later.

Stangra

Established Member
I you are talking about the Gen 3 2.9 then that blower will make a lot more power and is a lot more efficient than the old 2.3. It all comes down to your goals and how much you want to make. If you are comparing the basic kits though the new Whipple will make quite a bit more power than the 2.3.

I have always been a fan of the TVS blowers since they make so much power down low. Additionally, when you take the basic kit and add a larger inlet elbow/throttle body coupled with the right air intake you can gain 40 plus hp from these mods alone. However, this adds cost and before you know it you are at the same cost as a basic whipple kit.

My advice would be to hold off until Black Friday and Lethal will have some killer prices on Whipple blowers.

My goal is to keep the car reliable with minimal other modifications from stock, maybe around 500+ hp at the wheels? That's why I'm wondering if the 2.9 offers any advantages to me at this level over a TVS 2.3.
If I go with the Whipple 2.9 it's confusing trying to comply with CA regs. The one I saw first has a CARB approved EO# but looks to be the Gen 2. Lethal's site says "Gen 3 Superchargers are now standard on all Whipple Ford supercharger kits" but no mention of an EO# or CA legal.

Stangra

Established Member
Go cheaper if you truly don't see yourself upgrading your motor at some point. any of the power adders on the market are capable of producing enough power to spit stock rods out. If you might upgrade your engine at some point, you might consider the Whipple with more room to grow for later.
Basically my thoughts, but wondering if there's any benefits (cooler running, more efficient, etc) that I should consider aside from upgrade potential.

jeffs

Established Member
Those guys at VMP are pretty good about keeping compliant on all the government regs, and not to mention their blowers are no joke. I'd talk to them and just let them handle your set-up from A to Z personally. Hell Rebecca Starkey's (VMP owner's wife's) S197 is on the verge of high 7's, if not there yet so they should have you more than covered. I'd go right through them and their customer service too.

joshdj13

Established Member
Well I installed a whipple comp kit on my 12 dd recently. I bought a gen 2 head unit used then purchased the parts kit, bap, and injectors separately. Since I went with the used head unit I only have $5500ish into my setup. No numbers or times yet but its a lot of fun with room to grow. I'm running the 3.75 pulley with full exhaust and am seeing around 9# of boost.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

OX1

Established Member
I wanted the same as you (14 GT auto), due to being unsure about NJ emissions, long term.
I went Roush Ph 3, 2.3 and bought Ph 1 closed air cleaner off E-bay.
VMP tune and no other power mods.

305 DR and Roush upper/lower control arms, I went 11.29 @ 125 my second pass.
Plan is to dial that in and use that for street/emissions. Then use open air cleaner/MAF
and X-pipe with no cats for track only, to hopefully get 10's.

Not sure stock bottom end is going to take much more than that long term.

Last edited:

Stangra

Established Member
I wanted the same as you (14 GT auto), due to being unsure about NJ emissions, long term.
I went Roush Ph 3, 2.3 and bought Ph 1 closed air cleaner off E-bay.
VMP tune and no other power mods.

305 DR and Roush upper/lower control arms, I went 11.29 @ 125 my second pass.
Plan is to dial that in and use that for street/emissions. Then use open air cleaner/MAF
and X-pipe with no cats for track only, to hopefully get 10's.

Not sure stock block is going to take much more than that long term.
So what tune are you planning to use for emissions? In CA only the Roush Phase 1 tune is legal.

OX1

Established Member
So what tune are you planning to use for emissions? In CA only the Roush Phase 1 tune is legal.

The VMP with Phs 1 airbox. We don't even have visual right now,
only OBD II plug in. So it should pass, I was looking at future when I bought this,
especially since we just got a radical dem gov back in, was not sure if they were going to
go hog wild with Ca. emission checks (especially if they went to private garage only).

Really wanted Twins.........

Users who are viewing this thread