LOL. Sorry BB, I had to.

LMFAO! Could have been worse.

bd93cobra

Established Member

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Damn!!! BOSS block FTW though!!

i am still trying to figure out how to make it happen, Going to call Modular Performance and dig thru some details. If I can reuse engine components I already have, it mighty do doable. Point is, I will make final decisions after the block is out and disassembled. I am really liking the idea of the ibeam billet rods....i just want to understand how far the H-beam manleys can take me before the ibeams are necessary.

Erik, Not sure if you have a local guy to port your heads but this guy might be worth looking into: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...sell-242/755162-03-cobra-heads-stage-3-a.html

i am thinking send heads to MHS for a mild cleanup, probably there stage 2 package. Once again though, gotta get the block out and decide from there. Am also wanting to talk to HPP about there preferred cam choices

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Wow, I thought your car was already wild and crazy. Now you're talking about taking something that is pretty built and building even bigger and better. Awesome, good luck!

:banana:

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Wow, I thought your car was already wild and crazy. Now you're talking about taking something that is pretty built and building even bigger and better. Awesome, good luck!

:banana:

Just wanna make it the best it can be....and build it to handle what i am asking it to handle.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
So today I had a very interesting 25 min convo with John Tymensky @ Modular Performance. Very nice guy.....and took the time to actually talk with me. I asked him about the limitations of my aluminator, the strength of the block, the pros and cons basically. He is a firm believer in running 10:1 compression when running e85, even in boosted applications. Also had very good conversation on the expected manley hbeam rod longevity. John def recommended the Oliver Ibeam upgrade, lighter weight and much stronger than any power i will ever throw at it. He quite frankly said I am asking the stock manleys to perform well beyond what they are conservatively rated for.....although he did confirm that there are people pushing them well beyond there design envelope successfully, as we all know. Excellent convo on cam choices as well!

Long story short, I have narrowed the options down to 3 or 4 scenarios. Still have to add up cost and of each of the following scenarios. Car will be down for a while....it might be 6 months to a year, I really don't know. Gotta get the gameplan rolling.

Here are the options that I am considering, in order from most affordable to most expensive: All options include the same headwork, really comes down to the shortblock options. I am not going aggressive on cams.

1. Stage 2 MHS heads, cams TBD. Keep 10:1 aluminator shortblock as is, dont touch a thing.

2. Stage 2 MHS heads, cams TBD. Crack open shortblock, re-use stock crank, upgrade to billet Ibeams and a 10:1 ish Diamond piston with Valve reliefs. I am sure there would be machining work required, polishing of crank, etc etc. The block should be plenty strong for the power I am looking to achieve.
- This scenario assumes I do the build myself, however, I would feel better letting the pros do it. I do not wanna get in this habit of yanking the engine every so often, even though I have the art down now.

3. Stage 2 MHS heads, cams TBD. Boss 5.0 block built by John, same internals as mentioned in option 2. I would do the longblock assy myself. Head gaskets are included with the longblock from Modular Performance.

And last but def not the cheapest---

4. Stage 2 MHS heads, cams TBD. 5.0 boss block built by John. I would send him my MHS heads and cams, and he would assemble the whole longblock, degree the cams, etc etc.

I will be posing these scenarios to him in an email later, and will be discussing options with him as the gameplan continues to be formed in my head.

Last edited:

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
I would love to someday do option #3.. that boss block is amazing !!!!

i am trying to make it happen. my build "desires" and goals have been flowed to John via email. if the aluminator block can handle what i want safely, I will use it. all depends on cost really.....but i have a ballpark figure in my head i do not want to cross. will see what John has to say, regardless, either way i go (aluminum vs boss) i will be getting inside and upgrading those internals to be bulletproof.

Last edited:

DevilSun

Established Member
So today I had a very interesting 25 min convo with John Tymensky @ Modular Performance. Very nice guy.....and took the time to actually talk with me.
Yeah, you can't go wrong with John IMO. I just got my BOSS 5.0 I had him fully build fired up for the first time last night, I literally passed out when it fired up. I did end up spending a pretty penny with him because I sent him my blown up stock long block and got back a massively built long block but I don't regret it one bit because of the piece of mind. I have never ever had such down to earth, easy, technical back and forth discussions like I did with John...not to mention how available and willing he is to talk and discuss options with you (unless he's in the middle of torquing a set of mains or filing rings or something). Absolutely amazing guy, I wish I was closer so I could shake his hand and buy him a drink.

Hope you get it all figured out, and his estimates are pretty spot on. A cammed, ported, 305ci sounds pretty nasty let me tell ya :)

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Yeah, you can't go wrong with John IMO. I just got my BOSS 5.0 I had him fully build fired up for the first time last night, I literally passed out when it fired up. I did end up spending a pretty penny with him because I sent him my blown up stock long block and got back a massively built long block but I don't regret it one bit because of the piece of mind. I have never ever had such down to earth, easy, technical back and forth discussions like I did with John...not to mention how available and willing he is to talk and discuss options with you (unless he's in the middle of torquing a set of mains or filing rings or something). Absolutely amazing guy, I wish I was closer so I could shake his hand and buy him a drink.

Hope you get it all figured out, and his estimates are pretty spot on. A cammed, ported, 305ci sounds pretty nasty let me tell ya :)

I hope you mean 302 CI :rockon: I am getting it figured out, I received a response from MP today.....just waiting on John to quote the different options i presented him yesterday.

what cams did you go with???

Last edited:

DevilSun

Established Member
Yup, he spec'd out some custom Bullitt racing cams and what not based on the engine build, my intentions, and targeted HP range. I hope to get it fully tuned here within a week or two so I'll have some numbers then. For now, I can just say...it's scary sounding, very nasty. :)

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Yup, he spec'd out some custom Bullitt racing cams and what not based on the engine build, my intentions, and targeted HP range. I hope to get it fully tuned here within a week or two so I'll have some numbers then. For now, I can just say...it's scary sounding, very nasty. :)

i am liking the way this sounds....good luck , what blower are you running? I am sticking with 10:1 compression, and my 2.9 whipple.....on the e85 of course! he knows my build goals, and will design the combo from there.

edit- nasty nasty video clip, appreciate the PM

Last edited:

DevilSun

Established Member
My build thread is here...a ported Eaton with a 2.8 for now, I ran out of money doing the engine and fuel right. Whipple is the plan next year or year after... :) I even put my vid up last night of it starting

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
ok all, i am about to officially close this thread and open up a new one. Gotten way off topic, and feel its time to start a new thread.

FYI: My decision is to go with a built Boss 5.0 modular......worthy of a new thread.

Car is in pieces now, heads are ripped apart, etc etc. If you look close enough....you can see my shop aid slackin off and taking a break!

Stay tuned for the new thread sometime this week.

DSCN5659.jpg

DSCN5664.jpg

DSCN5665.jpg

DSCN5678.jpg

DSCN5675.jpg

DSCN5680.jpg

DSCN5681.jpg

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
However,
I do have the following for sale, lemme know if interested:

- 10:1 aluminator shortblock (unopened package, crank, rods, pistons 1476 miles)

- BBK longtube headers 1 5/8" 1600 miles

Will be more random parts added to the list.

Users who are viewing this thread