Whipple 2.9 time....oh yesss!

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
So your going with the new Coyote block then Erik? Let me know if you want any help next weekend, unless you would rather work alone? Did you ever determine if you had an issue with the motor or not? I'm assuming not since it's for sale.

no Chris.....not the coyote. the Boss 5.0 modular iron block....

shortblock is fine. i just have valvetrain noise from passenger side cylinder head, and i wanna get my paws in there to check it out. figured while it is out, put a super robust bottom end in it.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
at this point you should just purchase an engine hoist and engine stand (make that 2 engine stands) so you can just jack with one while you use the other.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
at this point you should just purchase an engine hoist and engine stand (make that 2 engine stands) so you can just jack with one while you use the other.

i was just thinking the same thing a minute ago.....u read my mind. Actually, I just pulled of passenger valve cover and took a look see around.....nothing looked out of the ordinary. I really am contemplating what to do.....

1. do i put it back together and hold off on the new shortblock

2. pull it anyway, keep the shortblock, and just get the heads worked on (much more affordable)

3. Or.....shut her down for an undetermined amount of time while i try to figure out how to swing the 5.0 build

what to do what to do.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
i was just thinking the same thing a minute ago.....u read my mind. Actually, I just pulled of passenger valve cover and took a look see around.....nothing looked out of the ordinary. I really am contemplating what to do.....

1. do i put it back together and hold off on the new shortblock

2. pull it anyway, keep the shortblock, and just get the heads worked on (much more affordable)

3. Or.....shut her down for an undetermined amount of time while i try to figure out how to swing the 5.0 build

what to do what to do.

that's completely up to you. I know how you like taking apart seemingly good parts to replace with other parts but if it were me I would do a little looking into the things you know need looked into and do a secondary build on the side as time comes.

why are you pulling the motor :/?

because he is crazy.

jliddle

Established Member
By far one of the most tech-savvy purpose built cars on this website. Your attention to detail is awesome Andrew.

Looking forward to the build progress!

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
I'm at a loss for words right now. :coolman:

dont get too excited....i added up the cost last night of the 5.0 setup, and it will have to wait. I have decided to keep the shortblock, and just have the heads gone thru, ported, and will investigate cam options. Thats within budget.

why are you pulling the motor :/?

i have valvetrain noise that occurs at part throttle from the passenger side head. quiet at idle, but not at part throttle. i want to figure out what it is, and it would be easier to do with engine out of the car.

that's completely up to you. I know how you like taking apart seemingly good parts to replace with other parts but if it were me I would do a little looking into the things you know need looked into and do a secondary build on the side as time comes.

because he is crazy.

i here you Brandon. thats why my plan is to just go thru the heads....and leave the shortblock alone.

and yes, i am certified crazy when it comes to messing with the car. I wonder what its like to drive it?

Teej281

Established Member
Yea, John Tymenski built 5.0 boss shortblock is right around $5k. He is the only one I'd let build my engine without me being there to supervise.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Yea, John Tymenski built 5.0 boss shortblock is right around $5k. He is the only one I'd let build my engine without me being there to supervise.

yeah i was considering that block.....built by John. just doesnt make financial sense right now.

anyway, tranny is out and engine is ready to be pulled.

DSCN5625.jpg

DSCN5627.jpg

Last edited:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
i here you Brandon. thats why my plan is to just go thru the heads....and leave the shortblock alone.

and yes, i am certified crazy when it comes to messing with the car. I wonder what its like to drive it?

My wife jumped my butt earlier today about constantly messing with my car and I just told her that I cant even hold a candle to my bb Erik. I at least at some point want to just enjoy the car. LOL!

mach1033

Established Member
My wife jumped my butt earlier today about constantly messing with my car and I just told her that I cant even hold a candle to my bb Erik. I at least at some point want to just enjoy the car. LOL!

you to huh? even after getting my wife a diamond necklace and sum great s.x she still got on my case. ;-)

forcefedcobra

Established Member
you to huh? even after getting my wife a diamond necklace and sum great s.x she still got on my case. ;-)

yep. she just couldnt understand why I wasnt happy with my 2.3 whipple on e85 with fuel system maxed and needed to get a bigger fuel system and 2.9 whipple........she looked at it as to the fact I only drove 1500 miles after getting it all tuned up on the last setup. Guess she figures I'll do the same with this setup.

04torchred

Established Member
yep. she just couldnt understand why I wasnt happy with my 2.3 whipple on e85 with fuel system maxed and needed to get a bigger fuel system and 2.9 whipple........she looked at it as to the fact I only drove 1500 miles after getting it all tuned up on the last setup. Guess she figures I'll do the same with this setup.

1500 miles you do need to drive it more unless that is mileage on the 1320 :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
1500 miles you do need to drive it more unless that is mileage on the 1320 :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

LOL! After getting the e85 setup done on the 2.3 I drove it 4.5 hours to dallas to hang with skarrew and sleeper and then 4.5 hours back home. cruised around town on some nice days and then put it up in the garage to take the fuel system and blower out. sold my old set of tf chicanes and proceeded with some madness of my own. I've got the car tuned and running great on the new blower/fuel system but I'm still waiting on my new set of true forged wheels to show up. I hope to enjoy it for a while this time around.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member

lol.....i got a pretty big candle burning over here! takes 2 average sized men to hold it up :rockon:

you guys aren't selling me on the whole wife thing! im 33, i guess i need to starting looking ;-)

i have the same problem here.....i drove mine next to nothing year....its basically been an ongoing project since march 2010

Users who are viewing this thread