Whipple 2.9 time....oh yesss!

04torchred

Established Member
What thread on what other site? I have 32 new lash adjusters for my engine. Do I need to tell my builder to bleed down the adjusters to check them? :uh oh:

I am not sure how well new ones will bleed down that have never been run and pumped up with oil. My brothers were in his motor that ran for 450kms before a valve spring broke on his.

I am going to try bleeding my new ones down, but will see if soaking them in oil will help get some in them.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Whew! That thread was mostly over my head! :shrug:
I'll just keep reading and hope some of it eventually begins to sink in. :??:

yeah its a read. they didnt even get into the nitty gritty of degreeing cams....that will float your brain.

but great info over there....anytime Mihovetz comments.....listen.

04torchred

Established Member
Is John Mihovetz the builder at Modular Performance?

No modularperformance is John Tymensky, John Mihovetz is Accufab. Both are great knowledgable modular people. John Tymensky did the machine work and checking for my brothers 322ci motor.

yeah its a read. they didnt even get into the nitty gritty of degreeing cams....that will float your brain.

but great info over there....anytime Mihovetz comments.....listen.

Its not that bad once you get into it. Big thing is having the right stuff to do it. So adjustable lash adjuster so you can get the correct valve lift, clearanced rocker arm so the dial indicator pointer can sit on the valve spring retainer and give an accurate reading, cam holding tool, 18" Moroso degree wheel, comp cam crank turning tool that holds the degree wheel, TDC piston stop to find TDC(this is the most important step, if you don't find TDC correct all the readings are off). And get a really good dial indicator!

After you get the stuff to check its just time consuming filing gears and rechecking. If you go to do it Erik I can walk you through it. I have one side of my motor done doing the other side this coming weekend and then my motor goes back in the car.

Last edited:

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Update. Received the glenns sumped tank and fuel cooler today. Did not have time to snap any pics. Really, you cant see anything inside the tank.....all the baffles are inside the sump, and u cant see inside the sump by looking into the tank.

Anyway.....decided to make this one pretty tank. Dropped it off at my powdercoater for a nice Satin Black finish :rockon:

Spent the night fabbing up the support brackets for my fuel cooler. The brackets extend from the upper part of the rad core support down to the lower part of the core support. Basically.....the fuel cooler will be right in the airstream in front of the radiator (where AC condenser normally is). For those of you who dont know, i deleted my AC system (never used it) as well as bypassed my heater core (to avoid what happened to me recently with the inlet hose popping off). I never used the heat either.....if I did, the engine ECTs ran too cool due to my modded cooling system.

The fuel cooler support brackets are going for powdercoat tomorrow. Will post up pics after its installed later this week.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Pics yet?

tank will be back from powdercoating tomorrow. will take pics this weekend.

going to install tank on saturday and try to figure out a good place to mount this big ole magnafuel pump. Need the tank in place to see how much room i have to work with.

04torchred

Established Member
tank will be back from powdercoating tomorrow. will take pics this weekend.

going to install tank on saturday and try to figure out a good place to mount this big ole magnafuel pump. Need the tank in place to see how much room i have to work with.

The rear bumper support is probably your best bet with a bracket that drops down.

I mounted my triple walbros like this Erik

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

Don't even see the pumps with the bumper cover on.

CopyofIMG_1432.jpg

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
The rear bumper support is probably your best bet with a bracket that drops down.

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

CopyofIMG_1432.jpg

yeah those pumps can actually fit in that small gap between the inner bumper support and the chassis. This magnafuel pump will not (from the way it looks.

I want to have the pump as low as possible.....i imagine the bottom of it will stick out from under the black piece on the stock bumper. Really wanna get it as low as possible in relation to the sump.

Will see how it all plays this weekend.

Really thinking about yanking the block soon. Considering a 5.0 boss block (my original plan last summer). Sell the aluminator block, and do a 5.0 build this summer. Also, have the heads gone thru, cleaned up...etc etc. We will see what i do.

04torchred

Established Member
You won't need to mount that pump that low, you can ask magnafuel. There will be enough pressure from the fuel in the tank to push at the pump and over come that height difference. You could build a bracket that attached to the bumper and then run it across and mount it up above the tank. Then the pump could mount laying flat or on an angle and stay hidden.

Did that make sense what I just wrote?

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
You won't need to mount that pump that low, you can ask magnafuel. There will be enough pressure from the fuel in the tank to push at the pump and over come that height difference. You could build a bracket that attached to the bumper and then run it across and mount it up above the tank. Then the pump could mount laying flat or on an angle and stay hidden.

Did that make sense what I just wrote?

makes sense yes. i havent talked to magnafuel about how i can or cant orient the pump. i was thinking leave it vertical, logic tells me to leave it vertical. as for the bracket setup....i was planning on something similar to that. i just need to get the tank in....and visually map it on in my head.

have plenty of 3/16" T6061 aluminum here just waiting to be turned into a pretty bracket!

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

CopyofIMG_1432.jpg

This is how my setup is.. Mounted the A1000 to the bumper support.. Works awesome. great looking setup :beer:

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
some pics! got the glenns sumped tank back from Crosslink powdercoating today (Thanks again Johnny, awesome work!), satin black finish. Installed fuel cooler. Also had all the radiator bracketry done in satin black as well.

Yes....the engine is stripped down, and soon to be pulled. Have decided im going to go with a built 5.0 boss block. More details to come.

Will get tank in car this evening then start deciding how i will be mounting the Magnafuel pump. Definently have my summer project ahead of me. I am still accepting donations lol!

Glenns sumped tank powdercoated

DSCN5600.jpg

DSCN5602.jpg

DSCN5604.jpg

DSCN5606.jpg

glenns tank cover

DSCN5609.jpg

radiator bracketry

DSCN5608.jpg

front bedroom LOL!!

DSCN5607.jpg

fuel cooler installed for Return line fuel cooling

DSCN5611.jpg

DSCN5612.jpg

DSCN5613.jpg

DSCN5615.jpg

DSCN5618.jpg

and a sad sight! probably will have her yanked out next weekend.

DSCN5614.jpg

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
oh.....if any one wants a 1400 mile 10:1 compression aluminator shortblock let me know! I will be selling the shortblock, but keeping the heads for the Boss block build.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
So your going with the new Coyote block then Erik? Let me know if you want any help next weekend, unless you would rather work alone? Did you ever determine if you had an issue with the motor or not? I'm assuming not since it's for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread