Whipple 2.3 even worth it?

Danderson

Established Member
this is me doing research trying to figure out for the future what i would get.

comparing prices a Whipple 2.9 is 400 more than a 2.3. for the 2.3 to reach the same boost/power lv as a 2.9 you need a lower pulley that alone is the price difference. everywhere i read people say under 20 psi go Whipple 2.3. most people want 600 when they upgrade the blower and a 2.3 wont get you their with out spending more. with 2.9 could can slap it on with injectors bap and maf and make more power for less money.

am i missing something? school me :shrug:

cbr repsol

Established Member
It just depends on what u want..my 2.3 on 16#s with 91 made 552rwhp with a stock tb. On 21#s with more timing and torco it was around 630rwhp. If u really spin a 2.9 u will really need a fuel system rather than a bap u mentioned. Not everyone will spend 1500 to 2k for a fuel system. I sold my car and am pretty much going all out now. 5.3 with 3.4 crusher 30 psi and triple pump return fuel system to name a few.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Im stuck with this choice as well. I am going with the 2.3 for the time being and if i want more ill sell it. Its not like the depreciate much. Besides ive seen alot of guys with 2.9 that detonate vs 2.3. Your more contained in the safety zone with a 2.3 w/ awesome midrange power vs 2.9. Id rather have a 2.3 and say i want more instead of getting a 2.9 and wanting a new engine cuz i blew mine. Just a thought.

Too add to this, if you look most of the guys with 2.9s are running 620hp rarely more than 650 and when your that high you might not need the bolt-ons that the 2.3 needs but youll need a entire revamp of the fuel system i.e return, pumps, FPDMs, rails, injectors, colder plugs, fuel hat, lines, fuel filter ect. A correct fuel system for a 2.9 to run enough boost to feel a difference from the 2.3 will cost you A LOT and even then your paying more than the 2.3 supporting mods and your in a greater risk zone. Plenty of guys own 2.9s and run 21#s + but for every success theirs failures. Build your way up too the 2.9. I havent even gotten my 2.3 yet and im already looking at 80lb injectors. By the time im done with my build for 17lbs i will be looking into return and then bigger blower. Crawl before you walk. Its not hard to spend 400$ more and get the 2.9 but its easy to have a 2.9 w/ 17# and want more.

More power = more $$$ = more headaches
Do your homework and search the forums. These guys above are right in the sense that you should get a 2.9 if yur going to grow. The reality is most members than not would rather sit at the 580-600 mark because its more pratical. You can do that with the 2.9 but your operating at like 16# which is nothing. Youll be sent into pure pressure by guys and next thing you know your running 23# on stock block. If you want to grow by all means get a 2.9 but the fact is youll be growing on a 2.3 and when your done and the 2.3 has no more potential for you, you would have already put yourself into and past the entry level requirements for a 2.9. Youll be basically buying a big blower for no reason

Last edited:

testorossa1989

Established Member
2.9 whipple + crusher inlet

/thread

Really??? :bash:

The crusher setup is great EXCEPT the fact that even whipple themselves admit it really doesnt function until around 21psi which in this case would be completely pointless since the guy is stuck between 600hp w/ 2.3 and supporting mods or 2.9 with major fuel upgrades, WHICH THE 2.9 WILL NEED to even function. Why dont we tell him to get a 12'' intake a 5'' tubes while we are at it:idea:

FACTS...
2.3 Is good but after 17-18psi you need to start looking into race fuel or torco ect. At 18psi you can make 580-600 with correct fuel and goodies. When your past 21psi its pretty much an aggresive tune.

2.9.. Crusher
25 psi around 17psi this suckers making 600+ already. Then for the crusher to actually work well is after 20psi which needs serious fuel mods and at that point you need race fuel or equivalent AND the fact that your at like what 700hp? yeah your motors done.

2.3 you will have the best power for budget and keep your engine
2.9 youll have the 600 you want at lower psi but stuck in that ballpark until you do serious fuel mods, which at that point your begging for a problem.

Example: The new base line civic has vtec and cracks at 5600 lets say, but redlines at 6.4-7k.. whats the freaking point? You have your powerband 1000rpms away from your redline but from 900-5600rpms the car falls on its face, theres no point but the original goal that it was used to add power while changing lanes on a highway or whatever. Same idea goes for the crusher and 2.3. Youll have a big supercharger but your not able to even use it for the purpose of power gain

Last edited:

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
I'm picking up my 2.3 on Friday. I plan on running just a bap and maf/injectors for now. Hoping for 575ish, but i'm not going to chase numbers. Plus, with a fuel system and some E85 you can make some good power with the 2.3.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
blower

if you buy the 2.3 and next year decide you want more power you will have to take the blower off take some sort of loss when you sell it and then try to find a good used 2.9 or buy one new , either way you will lose money both directions. why would you buy a 2.3 just so you wont tempt yourself to make more power ? ive had every possible combination (kenne bell 2.2, ported eaton and spray, whipple 3.4) and i would always suggest to buy the bigger blower because its always easier to buy fuel system parts and supporting mods to bump boost up while your still driving the car where as if you have to change blowers beacause you are at your hp limit its a whole different situation. i have been there so i am speaking from experience. ive been on the dyno 30 times over 6 years and from my experience i can tell you the 2.9 whipple pullied for 18 psi with 91-93 octane is gonna make 600-620 with a decent exhaust and throttle body with cai . i made 605/565 with my kenne bell 2.2 pullied for 21 psi with only a boostapump, mafia, and 60lb. injectors. my fuel sytem was at 85% duty cycle. if it were me i would buy the 2.9 and pick a horespower i wanted and pulley accordingly. then if down the road i wanted to pulley it for more power i could buy the supporting mods and change the pulley and go.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Well said above!

Its really up too you my friend. Its preference nobody can force you into something you dont want. Both sides have spoke and gave a great standpoint.

It comes down too this basically, if your chasing numbers go for the 2.9 but if your going for numbers and peace of mind the 2.3 is your guy. Either machines great and at the end of the day you can resell it for 90% of what you bought it for. Everyone leaves happy :beer:

This debate even makes me want to go and get a 2.9 but im 2weeks away from my order being manufactured and theirs no harm in a 2.3. After all its my first time, would rather start small :) and work my way up

Last edited:

hydrasport96

this is me doing research trying to figure out for the future what i would get.

comparing prices a Whipple 2.9 is 400 more than a 2.3. for the 2.3 to reach the same boost/power lv as a 2.9 you need a lower pulley that alone is the price difference. everywhere i read people say under 20 psi go Whipple 2.3. most people want 600 when they upgrade the blower and a 2.3 wont get you their with out spending more. with 2.9 could can slap it on with injectors bap and maf and make more power for less money.

am i missing something? school me :shrug:

2.3 with enlarged 3.4 inlet

chefron50

Established Member
go vmp

i'm running a vmp 2.3 on a 2013 boss,with a 85mm pulley and still get over 600rwhp and 530#of torque,dailey driver,no issues in 1 year so far.

steve_550

Established Member
I run a 2.3 @ 20-21lbs with return style fuel system and 80s. It made 604/579 on a super safe tune. And it's stock crank pulley,2.75 upper. It's a good blower, but I'm afraid to crank up the psi any more on stock internals. I'm gonna try a 75 shot and a retune

Last edited:

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
im running a 2.3 for 93 octane and no additives it about the best you can do...and if you decide to go E85 later it can put up 700rwhp. If your making a purely "race car" then 2.9 or bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread