Which year Shelby to buy?

pwrshft99

Established Member
If it was me, i take a hard look at 2011-12s. Aluminum block with just a bit less displacement....you know youre gonna swap to a bigger blower anyway

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you all!!!! Really liked the 08-09 look…but 13-14 seems to be the Shelby GT500 to own just gonna have to be patient now to buy one..right car for my budget
As @tomshep said, don't get hung up on owning a 13/14, my first GT500 was 08 and I had a blast with it, if you get a 08/09 GT500 and swap a 2.3 or 2.65 TVS on it you'll still make 650 to 700whp with supporting mods and the car will be fun as hell.

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
What is the budget? This is a key detail. Hands down the 13-14 is the crown jewel of the S197 platform. However if your budget does not allow you to get a "blue chip" 13-14, I personally would rather have a excellent condition older GT500, than a beat up 13-14.

lightni04blu

Established Member
I wouldn't call any of them right or wrong, just a continuous evolution with improvements. If all you can afford is an 08-09 and it will take a longer time to get the extra funds, go buy one and have fun with it. I wouldn't put off owning a Shelby for "years" just to get the right year. Go get one and have fun and keep saving. When you get enough sell the older model and step up if you still want to.

Tom
Yeap leaning towards that direction more…thanks for the reply

lightni04blu

Established Member
What is the budget? This is a key detail. Hands down the 13-14 is the crown jewel of the S197 platform. However if your budget does not allow you to get a "blue chip" 13-14, I personally would rather have a excellent condition older GT500, than a beat up 13-14.
At this point budget is more of an 08/09…thank you for the reply

RockChalk

Established Member
9F652656-FC2F-4336-9F3F-7FD43D47024D.jpeg
2013/14 all the way, but any S197 GT500 is great!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I like the 11/12 also just see if I can find one in my budget..thanks for chiming in..

Good luck in the search. For me, searching is the fun part. But man, used car prices are through the roof from what they were 3 years ago

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
At this point budget is more of an 08/09…thank you for the reply
Enjoy your search, the good news, is it seems that even though all car prices are over the moon, 07-09 GT500's still seem to be "reasonable". Production of ~10k units a year sure helps with the supply.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Average annual production of 07-09 MYs was actually closer to 7.7K, with approximately 10.8K, 8.6K, and 3.6K produced, respectively. You're correct, however, that these are bigger (overall) numbers than later MYs that averaged only about 5K cars/yr.

RockChalk

Established Member
Average annual production of 07-09 MYs was actually closer to 7.7K, with approximately 10.8K, 8.6K, and 3.6K produced, respectively. You're correct, however, that these are bigger (overall) numbers than later MYs that averaged only about 5K cars/yr.
I thin the 2013 production shows 4,885, with 2014 being very similar. When you compare the numbers to those of most cars and trucks, the GT500 numbers are really quite low.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Thanks, Its been a while since I thought about it. I have an 08, and remember all of the people attempting to justify their payment of ADM, that the car would be worth a fortune by now... obviously not as the production volumes really worked against high residual values.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Thanks, Its been a while since I thought about it. I have an 08, and remember all of the people attempting to justify their payment of ADM, that the car would be worth a fortune by now... obviously not as the production volumes really worked against high residual values.
I can't help but laugh at those who try to justify paying ADM. In the vast majority of cases, doing so is for people with more money than brains. There are exceptions, like the Ford GT and most recent Corvette ZR1, but those are few and far between. Trying to equate multi-year, production line vehicles (like modern Ford-produced Shelbys) to such limited/niche vehicles is foolish, despite all the lame and transparent self-justification for it in other circles.

robvas

Established Member
Good luck in the search. For me, searching is the fun part. But man, used car prices are through the roof from what they were 3 years ago
Meaningless story, but I found a 25k mile 2011 for sale locally, with a couple mods, for $27,000 and the guy acted like he would go lower...just before the pandemic. Didn't want to spend 'that much' so I didn't buy it :(

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I can't help but laugh at those who try to justify paying ADM. In the vast majority of cases, doing so is for people with more money than brains. There are exceptions, like the Ford GT and most recent Corvette ZR1, but those are few and far between. Trying to equate multi-year, production line vehicles (like modern Ford-produced Shelbys) to such limited/niche vehicles is foolish, despite all the lame and transparent self-justification for it in other circles.

My first Shelby was a 2008 I bought Brand New.
MSRP was 45,000
Car had a 10,000ADM
Total Sticker of 55,000
I paid 42,000

My Second was a 2014 Bought Brand New in December 2013.
MSRP of 61,000
I don't remember a Mark up as I really didn't give them a chance.
Paid $3008 under MSRP

My Current Shelby I found for sale is a 2013 with 32000 Miles.
Pvt Sale just last month.
Guy was asking 47500
Paid 45,000

Paying a Dealer Mark up is like paying a "I'm ****ing Stupid" Tax.

The deals are out there. you just have to be willing to do some shit like Fly to Georgia and Drive back to Colorado. *shrug*

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Meaningless story, but I found a 25k mile 2011 for sale locally, with a couple mods, for $27,000 and the guy acted like he would go lower...just before the pandemic. Didn't want to spend 'that much' so I didn't buy it :(

Not meaningless. Very relevant. I bought my 2013 just as the govt counted only 13 cases of covid in Wa State. I couldn't entertain what the same car would cost now.

Prices on the 13/14 market are here to stay

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
My first Shelby was a 2008 I bought Brand New.
MSRP was 45,000
Car had a 10,000ADM
Total Sticker of 55,000
I paid 42,000

My Second was a 2014 Bought Brand New in December 2013.
MSRP of 61,000
I don't remember a Mark up as I really didn't give them a chance.
Paid $3008 under MSRP

My Current Shelby I found for sale is a 2013 with 32000 Miles.
Pvt Sale just last month.
Guy was asking 47500
Paid 45,000

Paying a Dealer Mark up is like paying a "I'm ****ing Stupid" Tax.

The deals are out there. you just have to be willing to do some shit like Fly to Georgia and Drive back to Colorado. *shrug*

your current one was only $4,000 less than what I paid for mine. with 3200 miles. And you had to fly lol. But, whats cool is thats a comparison PreCovid / Chip Shortage vs. Current market values

And your on point with having to travel to get the right car. People think they gonna find what they want, 3 city blocks away from their house.

WTB Low Mileage Shelby around 3 blocks from my house

Users who are viewing this thread