Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0"

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
I'm putting in my new 200A alternator with a 4g wire upgrade. I wanted to know the consensus as to what size pulley most would run. I'm leaning toward a 3.5" even though I'm only running a 2.7" upper, no lower yet, but thinking about the new 4lb setup discussed on the board with a cage like stock.
So, I want the new alternator to last, the original lasted 6 years, 60K miles, and I want to put a larger under drive pulley on it to help with over spinning and heating it up. Should I go bigger to the 3.7" or should the 3.5" suffice?

Last edited:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
3.5 should be plenty. The 3.2 is actually made to be used with the 4#, 6# is the 2.5 so that should be a safe bet. I plan on going the same route with mine.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I run a 3.2 with a stock lower, and I plan on adding a duct also, very soon.

I'm not sure about you sizing it for a future lower in advance, unless this change is going to be very soon.

Changing a lower is a fairly significant endeavor, so changing the alt pulley to be appropriate for it, (what ever it may be)at the same time just seems like a more logical way to go about it. If you change your mind on the lower size, you're already in there with many things apart, it would be cake to just do the pulley then.

As for now, I would duct it, right away.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
60,xxx out of the original alt. damn! I only got 15,xxx out of mine. Would more highway driving make the alt. last longer as vs stop and go? Is it just a "flip of the coin" that determines how long a alt. will last? Some go longer, some don't.....

op, I'd go with Jimmys advise.....

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
60,xxx out of the original alt. damn! I only got 15,xxx out of mine. Would more highway driving make the alt. last longer as vs stop and go? Is it just a "flip of the coin" that determines how long a alt. will last? Some go longer, some don't.....

op, I'd go with Jimmys advise.....

Highway driving is easier on everything.

Users who are viewing this thread