Which wash method and why?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
As car enthusiasts the majority of us are anal retentive when it comes to the cleanliness of our rides. Which wash method do you use and why?

GDWM
The Garry Dean Wash Method GDWM Infinite Use Detail Juice Anywhere Wash Bucket Waterless Car Wash Auto Wash Rinseless Car Wash - YouTube

2 bucket method (alhough Larry uses a 3rd bucket strictly for his wheels and tires in this vid.)
Audi R8 BLACKBIRD: Basic Car Wash Techniques - DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube

For quick washes with the right technique I have found the GDWM to work extremely well. It's fast and safe. But I still do traditional 2 bucket washes if the car is super dirty.

03sm3341

Established Member
I've done both. I only do the GDWM if im at a place that I have no access to water. Like car shows or in hotel parking lots. Like at mustang week. If i'm home 2 bucket all the way with a foam gun.

RC-5.0

Established Member
NEITHER...those are WAY too Anal for me, and My car has NO swirls. If you soak the car and pre-rinse REALLY WELL, you get enough dirt off to wash with one bucket and a strainer at the bottom. If you are worried about putting too much dirt back in your wash bucket, you can always just rinse the mitt, but at least the 2-bucket method is just a rinse prior to reusing the mitt, but I can live with that.

I guess like the second poster says, for a car show or something for GD, but in general, who has that many towels and wants to wash them every single time:bash:

RC

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
NEITHER...those are WAY too Anal for me, and My car has NO swirls. If you soak the car and pre-rinse REALLY WELL, you get enough dirt off to wash with one bucket and a strainer at the bottom.

x2. (I know I'm doing something right... Dylan complimented my "obviously good washing technique," due to the absence of swirls on my car, when I attended a recent detailing clinic at Adam's HQ.)

RC-5.0

Established Member
x2. (I know I'm doing something right... Dylan complimented my "obviously good washing technique," due to the absence of swirls on my car, when I attended a recent detailing clinic at Adam's HQ.)

Ur lucky you live near them. I live next-day-shipping away from Auto geek.net. I dont use chemicals or cleaners from them, but I started buying some good LCC pads, and Im now using the 5" backing plate with 6.5" pads instead of those huge ones from Adams. I still buy all the polishes, DS and APC from Adams.
RC

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
NEITHER...those are WAY too Anal for me, and My car has NO swirls. If you soak the car and pre-rinse REALLY WELL, you get enough dirt off to wash with one bucket and a strainer at the bottom. If you are worried about putting too much dirt back in your wash bucket, you can always just rinse the mitt, but at least the 2-bucket method is just a rinse prior to reusing the mitt, but I can live with that.

I guess like the second poster says, for a car show or something for GD, but in general, who has that many towels and wants to wash them every single time:bash:

RC

easy for you to say, you have a silver car- swirls are much harder to identify in silver, and pewter etc. but for darker colors such as black, even wiping the car with a fresh towel will leave some tiny scratches, so it's 2 bucket method here all the way. some people just care more I guess.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

RC

Kind of surprising response. But not all of us have access to a hose or pressure washer. Trust me, if I had one I'd be foaming the hell out of my vehicle, and rinsing BEFORE I proceed with the actual wash. Sometime you just have to go with what's available which is why i do GDWM the majority of the time. That being said one bucket with a grit guard is WAY to risky for me but to each their own..... And towels. Shoot- I have easily over a hundred of all different types and sizes. So washing just towels is pretty easy for me. But then again I wash a lot of cars:rockon:

w3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Established Member
Like the OP, I use both. If the weather is sucking and the car is decently clean, I will use the GDWM in the garage. If the car is too dirty for that I use a 2 bucket wash method. In between washes I use Ultima Waterless Wash Concentrate 1 oz. to a spray bottle and wipe the car down. After polishing your car, you cant be too careful!

Users who are viewing this thread