Which Tranny Fluid for 3650?

cliesch22

Established Member
I know the 3650 are not the smoothest shifting trans but I was wondering which fluid is the best and how much to put in to reduce or eliminate some of the notchy shifts? I herd regular old Dexron/Mercon III is the best but I may be way off. Any insight?

nicolosijm

Established Member
I used Mobil 1 Syn ATF. Filled at 3.2 qrts. Didn't change the feeling of the transmission though. Tremec also says to use GM/Penzoil Synchromesh. Maybe thats better.

Charles236

Established Member
I have used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, Royal Purple Synchromax, Dexron III, and Pennzoil Sychromesh in my Mach's 3650 at times. Currently, I have the Pennzoil Synchomesh in it. There is a little difference from one fluid to another in the 3650 as far as shift quality is concerned, but more improvement came from lowering the fluid fill level to 3.2 quarts than from changing fluids. This is my experience, but there will be plenty of people saying use this fluid or that fluid, add this to the fluid or not to add anything to the fluid, so be prepared for it.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
^ rofl

Now, that is misleading.

Mercon/Dexron III is the only fluid you should be putting in your TR3650.

nicolosijm

Established Member
I talked to technician at Tremec and they stated Mobile 1 Syn (if you live in warm climates) or GM Synchromesh/Penzoil. This was about 3 months ago. They stated to stay away from Royal Purple because of premature snchro wear. They also stated the 3.2 qt fill. Many people use different types of fluid and don't seem to have a problem. You can contact Tremec at 1-800-401-9866. They're hard to get a hold of but they will eventually answer. There is a lot of material on-line concerning this transmission. I've including a tech manual link. Its a bit older and doesn't address the overfill issue. It states using 3.8 qts (not correct) but does state tranmission fluid types.

http://www.bullittarchive.com/1000/1...ice_Manual.pdf

Charles236

Established Member
I don't know what is misleading about what I posted above. I simply pointed out that I have experimented with different fluids, and did not experience much difference from one fluid to another. YOUR results may be different from mine, I do not claim that what I use is best for someone else's car. I am pleased with the shift quality of the 3650 in my car using 3.2 quarts of Pennzoil Synchromesh, but someone else may feel that their car shifts better with Mobil 1, Sychromax, etc.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
We ran syncrhomesh in our 3650 that was a street raced beat on tranny that had 114k on it and was great.

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
I put a motorcraft mercon v in, it states that its a replacment for the mercon III. or in other words states meets merconIII requirements ?

Established Member
I raise your PDF with my PDF file.... :D

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/04-15-06.pdf

READ section # 6

XT-2-QDX is MERCON/DEXRON III

:D

I have fought this matter with people everywhere and frankly I'm about to give up, and if anyone wants to carry the torch, please be my guest.

Ford screwed up and put in synthetics on half of the TR3650 transmissions that came from detroit. The other half got the correct fluid. (MERCON/DEXRON III).

That TSB above is a correction to Ford's screwup.

Now, those that got the synthetics have all experienced a synchro problem. (If you haven't experienced it, you WILL...just hold onto your "synthetics guns" and hold tight...and save up some money while you do so) :rofl:

DO NOT put Mercon V (synthetic) in your transmission.

Good Luck, it's your money.

Ken

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
WTF motorcraft could the bottle be more misleading.......it doesn't state its synthetic

but its mercon v

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
just went to advance auto and bought some dexron III /M............damn I hate to go throught the change again (only after 2 weeks)

cliesch22

Established Member
Look like I am going with Mercon/Dexron III. Thanks everyone and let the battle continue. No synthetic in my trans.

Stephen4036

Established Member
^ rofl

Now, that is misleading.

Mercon/Dexron III is the only fluid you should be putting in your TR3650.

WRONG.

syncromesh, guy at prestige ford rebuilt the 3650 before I bought it from him and he got 175k miles on it with GM syncromesh, not ATF. He switched to the syncromesh the day the TSB came out.

Established Member
not sure why your "cry laughing" your giving people false information tard...

1. Ford says use Syncromesh
2. TREMEC says use Syncromesh

YOUR THE ONLY ONE WHO SAYS TO USE "ATF"

:shrug:

Mr Ignorant, did you click on the PDF that I posted?

It's a FORD TSB released in 2004 to FIX their synchromesh screwup.

Here it is again..

Now you know why I'm laughing at you.

:poke:

..you called me tard, :lol:

Bite Me

Established Member
Mr Ignorant, did you click on the PDF that I posted?

It's a FORD TSB released in 2004 to FIX their synchromesh screwup.

Here it is again..

Now you know why I'm laughing at you.

:poke:

..you called me tard, :lol:

:rockon: My friend tried synthetic. After he refilled with synthetic his shifts got worse and his synchros took a shit. Could be a coincidence, but enough for me to agree with the TSB from ford.

Users who are viewing this thread