Which size resonators?

battchief05

Established Member
I have Kooks Long Tubes, Catted O/R X-Pipe with Flowmaster chambered 50's. I love the muscle sound but there is a little too much rasp from the x-pipe. I really only want to get rid of the rasp. Will 12" resonators do the job or should I go with the 18"? Thanks.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Longest you can fit.
Stainless Works uses a resonator they call a "retro muffler" that's like 36" under my car, works great for drone.
-J

Sielmo

Established Member
Longest you can fit.
Stainless Works uses a resonator they call a "retro muffler" that's like 36" under my car, works great for drone.
-J

Do you have any pictures of that resonator? I have a complete SW set up on my 2010 Shelby and had to put 18" resonators to get rid of the rasp. Still not perfect thus my interest.

cdh027

Established Member
Like others have said, run the biggest resonator you can fit. I've got ARH long tubes, offroad H and stock catback with the stainless works resonators inline. It's still not perfect but 1000x better. I dont know how people say headers with offroad pipe and stock catback sounds great. To me it sounds horrible without some more toning down.

SteveWK

Established Member
Like others have said, run the biggest resonator you can fit. I've got ARH long tubes, offroad H and stock catback with the stainless works resonators inline. It's still not perfect but 1000x better. I dont know how people say headers with offroad pipe and stock catback sounds great. To me it sounds horrible without some more toning down.

I agree with the shitty sound. My car with ARH long tubes, h-pipe, and stock cat back sounds like crap to me. It is way too loud and raspy. If there is another car or wall next to me when I can it, it actually hurts my ears. It almost sounds like there is an exhaust leak like hissing sound but not the typical tap tap tap tap you would hear from a header leak. High frequency stuff, and if I can hear it at 51, it is loud - lol.

I am definitely going to check into the resonators from SW. I feel like I can't touch the throttle without alerting every COP within 10 miles.

Steve

Last edited:

Ablaze

Established Member

I agree with the shitty sound. My car with ARH long tubes, h-pipe, and stock cat back sounds like crap to me. It is way too loud and raspy. If there is another car or wall next to me when I can it, it actually hurts my ears. It almost sounds like there is an exhaust leak like hissing sound but not the typical tap tap tap tap you would hear from a header leak. High frequency stuff, and if I can hear it at 51, it is loud - lol.

I am definitely going to check into the resonators from SW. I feel like I can't touch the throttle without alerting every COP within 10 miles.

Steve

Is this sound only at WOT? I ask because I don't hear anything like that from the videos. Obviously videos only tell half the story.

SteveWK

Established Member
Is this sound only at WOT? I ask because I don't hear anything like that from the videos. Obviously videos only tell half the story.

I only notice it under hard acceleration. I could have an exhaust I too. It's hard to diagnose when I only hear it under hard acceleration.

Sielmo

Established Member

Disclaimer:
I'm old, don't mind loud although hate farm truck rasp.
When I had the SW LT Headers, HF cats and H pipe mated to my stock exhaust with Ford Racing mufflers, it was embarrassingly raspy and LOUD! The rasp I describe sounds like an angry jackhammer trapped in a paint can. As a result, I reinstalled my stock mufflers and it was also raspy horrible. I then ordered the SW cat-back to go with the rest of the SW exhaust and it was slightly better but raspy under partial/heavy pedal. I then welded in 18 resonators and the rasp is softer but still annoying under heavy pedal and when cold under half load. I've had numerous shops (Borla, Dynamax) tell me that this is the way it is with HT cats and LT headers. The stock GT 500 muffler is chambered (horrible sounding) and the SW Turbo Chambered muffler is better but not great. I am now looking into Magnaflow Street Series as its insulated (although straight through design) but do not want to spend the money until I hear some examples with my same set-up. Anyways, I throw this out here as I feel like I didn't do my homework and/or didn't ask the right questions and want encourage those going the header/HF cat route, to do their homework.

Sielmo

Established Member

Do you have pictures or dimensional description of their resonators? SW has nothing posted on their website, and my dealer cant get a response back from SW.

Sielmo

Established Member
Longest you can fit.
-J
Ahh...I get it what youre referencing now. Resonator, aka retro muffler.

What threw me off was that I called them last week (actually got through) and I asked the sales rep about resonators and about using retro chambered mufflers in lieu. His response was he didn't recommend them over the resonators and when explaining my issue, his claim was that the resonators would do a better job at taking the edge off the rasp. I also got this response previously when ordering the cat back portion after I installed the headers, HF cats, and H pipe. Bottom line, I'm not impressed with the customer service department for SW. It seems like when and if I get through to them, either they don't know their products or they will just sell you anything.

Last edited:

Ablaze

Established Member
Disclaimer:
I'm old, don't mind loud although hate farm truck rasp.
When I had the SW LT Headers, HF cats and H pipe mated to my stock exhaust with Ford Racing mufflers, it was embarrassingly raspy and LOUD! The rasp I describe sounds like an angry jackhammer trapped in a paint can. As a result, I reinstalled my stock mufflers and it was also raspy horrible. I then ordered the SW cat-back to go with the rest of the SW exhaust and it was slightly better but raspy under partial/heavy pedal. I then welded in 18 resonators and the rasp is softer but still annoying under heavy pedal and when cold under half load. I've had numerous shops (Borla, Dynamax) tell me that this is the way it is with HT cats and LT headers. The stock GT 500 muffler is chambered (horrible sounding) and the SW Turbo Chambered muffler is better but not great. I am now looking into Magnaflow Street Series as its insulated (although straight through design) but do not want to spend the money until I hear some examples with my same set-up. Anyways, I throw this out here as I feel like I didn't do my homework and/or didn't ask the right questions and want encourage those going the header/HF cat route, to do their homework.

I really appreciate this response, and this thread, as I'm learning a lot about all the popular mods and their apparently inherent pitfalls.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I really appreciate this response, and this thread, as I'm learning a lot about all the popular mods and their apparently inherent pitfalls.
Understand the above poster Sielmo does have a 2010 so the earlier cars do have differences.
For example the SW kit for '13-14s ONLY has the retro muffler under the car with the choice of resonated or non-resonated tips.
The earlier Shelby kits have the standard turbo style muffler in the factory location.

I also feel the '13-14 quad tip muffler is great from the factory, if I was only after sound, I would have likely gone to an off-road H-pipe and changed nothing else on the exhaust. As my choice was for performance first, the full 3" system from SW with their headers got the nod, although there is some inherent rasp in the s197 exhaust design with the rear muffler.

Again why I feel the SW kit and the underbody long retro muffler improves on that design issue.

Sielmo--Bummer you did not have a good experience with SW, but I've had better luck from the CS standpoint and there is a chance there was confusion as retro muffler/resonator terms were interchanged above.
My thoughts are that the retro muffler or ANY resonator between the mid-pipe and rear mufflers would solve your issue.
Good luck.
-J

Sielmo

Established Member
Understand the above poster Sielmo does have a 2010 so the earlier cars do have differences.
For example the SW kit for '13-14s ONLY has the retro muffler under the car with the choice of resonated or non-resonated tips.
The earlier Shelby kits have the standard turbo style muffler in the factory location.

I also feel the '13-14 quad tip muffler is great from the factory, if I was only after sound, I would have likely gone to an off-road H-pipe and changed nothing else on the exhaust. As my choice was for performance first, the full 3" system from SW with their headers got the nod, although there is some inherent rasp in the s197 exhaust design with the rear muffler.

Again why I feel the SW kit and the underbody long retro muffler improves on that design issue.

Sielmo--Bummer you did not have a good experience with SW, but I've had better luck from the CS standpoint and there is a chance there was confusion as retro muffler/resonator terms were interchanged above.
My thoughts are that the retro muffler or ANY resonator between the mid-pipe and rear mufflers would solve your issue.
Good luck.
-J

Good point.
Despite my grumblings, the products from SW are superior in workmanship and fitment. At some point, I may try exactly that and replace my resonators with a resonated chamber muffler for the who length between the mid pipe and over-axle pipe. SW didn't like this option when I mentioned it but I may try it.

Cheers

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I was going to also mention they are 100% USA made and use USA SS, they build most things direct in house, it was an impressive facility.
Good luck.
-J

Ablaze

Established Member

Good luck.
-J

Thank you sir. I'm only going for sound, I don't want/need more than 700rwhp for just a cruiser. Guess I'll swap the headers for just the H-pipe and make sure they hack an inch off so it's flush again.

SixPak

Established Member
I put headers and an X-pipe on my car and the rasp was something I could not live with, even with the factory resonators.

Welded some 18" Dynomax race bullets in place of the factory resonators and no more rasp. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread