Which single turbo kit

ScrmngYellow04

Somebody's Watching Me
Established Member
Does anyone make a single turbo kit that is all inclusive or is it better to do a custom one?

Thinking about going turbo at some point this year.

Links would be good also.

TRBO VNM

+3 for hellion. no kit will provide fuel upgrades and most all kits require additional parts. Hellion does require certain 99-01 cobra parts to convert the intake and alternator over. I have found some used and new stuff and paid about 700. average you pay about 800-900 for everything if you buy the alternator brand new. and they have the option to upgrade for all Maximum Motorsports suspension now.

Last edited:

ScrmngYellow04

Somebody's Watching Me
Established Member
How much did you end up spending for the total kit and all the parts needed to get the car up and running?

I would like to use something besides the 01 intake.

What other options are there that dont cost a fortune?

TRBO VNM

ScrmngYellow04 said:
How much did you end up spending for the total kit and all the parts needed to get the car up and running?

I would like to use something besides the 01 intake.

What other options are there that dont cost a fortune?

the only other option that has been tried that I know of with this kit is the Sullivan. peak gains were only like 9rwhp. not worth it imo to buy the intake and then get piping made. John @ Hellion may make the piping, but there haven't been any requests for it that I know of since the 99-01 is proving to make great power. the only reason to spend the extra for the sullivan and custom piping is for looks.

a little breakdown

kit $6370

do you want ball bearing upgrade? add $400 if so
do you want to add all Maximum Motorsports front suspension? add $795 if so
shipping $200 flat rate for complete kit

99-01 parts to convert $700-1200 depending on buying everything new or used

Tuning? I use Jon Lund(xcal2 is $379-399 with 2 or 3 tunes, custom street tuning is extra) pricing is up to your tuner really, that is just what I paid.

Fuel? I stayed returnless
I have:
60's
stock rails
Aviator twin pumps
BAP w/ wire upgrade
-8an line upgrade kit I put together for about $350
modified FPDM $70 for spare fpdm, $100 for MJChip to modify it

what about IRS upgrades or other drivetrain upgrades? I don't know what you have, so I can't recommend anything. I also did the rear MM coil overs at the same time and DFX clutch setup and 26 spline input shaft.

Then electronic boost controller, wideband and other gauges you might want. Next comes taking it to the track. what do you want to get out of it? you need a 2-step to properly launch the car, $1000 in MSD ignition. tires/wheels to hold the power at the track?

TRBO VNM

acrod said:
wow that add ups quick, so what like 10,00 for everything.

probably. it really all depends on what you plan to do. are you really going to string it out at the track? if not, you might be content with the SCT or diablo 2-step and be done with it. that will save 1000-1200 bucks. but I know the SCT doesn't work right. it pulls fuel instead of timing and you need the fuel to create the exhaust gases to spool the turbo on the line.

its like any power adder, you do it and then find other things you probably need to do in order to fully use the potential of the power adder. did I have to do rear coil overs? no, but I wanted everything to match.

some people already have their fuel system, so you might not need anything for that or maybe just parts of it. tuning, you might already have that taken care of as well and don't need a predator or xcal2.

do you really need the MM udgrade or is the standard Kmember that is included and coilovers or cc plates good enough for you?

see where I am going with this? it can be as expensive as you are willing or want it to be, or it can be as cheap as you want it to be with the bare minimum.

also, can you install it all yourself? if so, you will probably save another 2k there.

acrod

Established Member
ya definitely, it can get up there quick if want everything. I probably would go with the mm upgrade and the kit, and whatever supporting mods are needed. It definitely wont be a track monster but I would like to take it a time or two.

ronnie

Will work for Truck Parts
Established Member
Have any of you guys thought about putting a 4 inch downpipe on there? I am about to put one on my GenII Lightning. I wish Hellion would come out with a kit for the Lightnings.

- Aj -

Established Member
Bigger is not always better. A 3" piece of mandrel bent piping can flow plenty of air for around 900hp or so no problem. Leave the 4" piping for the diesels. :thumbsup:

TRBO VNM

- Aj - said:
Bigger is not always better. A 3" piece of mandrel bent piping can flow plenty of air for around 900hp or so no problem. Leave the 4" piping for the diesels. :thumbsup:

or honda's
:lol:

ronnie

Will work for Truck Parts
Established Member
From the switch of 3" to 4" on a L, there was a 50 HP increase. I would expect even more from Cobras since you guys have better flowing heads. But, let's leave the 4" downpipes to diesels and Lightnings. My bad. You guys know something I don't. Please let me know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread