• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Which set-up

Discussion in 'Terminator Talk' started by thatdude305, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Venom351R

Venom351R Active Member Established Member

This is such a good topic despite it being discussed a lot over the years. I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have a stock eaton now but I want to upgrade the blower but I do not feel the need going with a whipple 2.9 or a VMP 2.65. Its a street driven show car and I want in the 600 range and I have no plans of running E85 and its not going to the track other than maybe a few trips here and there. From what I have been reading the 2.3 is such a great blower for just a street driven car that wants to hit hard in the 600 range

Just sucks so much that @VMP Performance pulled the 2.3 off their line up. Would make so much more sense from a consumer stand point to have that option of the 2.3 for street driven cars that want in the 600 range and then the Gen3R for the guys looking for big numbers on built motors and on E85. I've considered going with whipple just because the 2.3 is still available but at this point I'd take a used 2.3 VMP over a new whipple just because I have heard so many good things about it.

thatdude305 likes this.
  2. zredfire04

zredfire04 Active Member Established Member

I'm in pretty much the same place with my car.

It's starting to look like the best option to use a 2.3 tvs is get the cobra engineering adapter plate and use the tvs for a 13-14 gt500.

It's also nutty that vmp still makes gen2r 2.3 for Shelbys and coyotes but not cobras.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  3. Venom351R

How much of a hassle is it to swap the throttle linkage over to the other side if going this route? Also does having the CAI, filter / Maf over on the other side pose any interference with anything?

4. zredfire04

Battery has to move. Not sure the throttle has to change. Idk if there are other issues

5. NateDogg

NateDogg Terminator Established Member

I didn't read the entire thread, but I've had both blowers on multiple cars and my opinion falls in line with what everyone else is saying.

2.3 TVS is a blast and the removable inlet is very sweet. You don't realize how sweet until you are removing an entire blower multiple times a year for random stuff.

With that being said... the gen 3+ 2.9 is leaps and bounds better than the smaller 2.3 TVS. I currently have a gen 4 2.9 on pump gas and (although I haven't had it dyno'd/tracked yet) it *feels* every bit as fast as any of my TVS cars and even my gen 2 2.9 e85 car. Its a great blower, looks great and PULLS.

Honestly you cant go wrong with either one and if you make the decision to go return and E85.....you're gonna have a good time.

6. Stage 4.6

Stage 4.6 Well-Known Member Established Member

Well said bud! How ever I will say my KB2.6H on 91 @ 16psi felt really good and put down some good numbers, but ever since the switch to E85 and a drop to 3in pully @18psi the car feels like a beast, seems like the sweet spot.

I have been contemplating the bigger Whipple 2.9 just not sure if I want to deal with the Crusher set up or standard inlet.

7. 01yellercobra

01yellercobra AKA slo984now Established Member

IMO if you're happy with it leave it alone. I'm going through this with a friend right now. He wants to upgrade to a 2.9 because everyone else has it. Despite the fact that his car currently runs fine and he says it has enough power.

8. zredfire04

If they make the tvsr 3100 for our cars, I'm gonna get one and that'll be the only supercharger swap I do. I'd rather add n2o or a compound boost setup than wade through a bunch of incremental upgrades.

9. Venom351R

Thanks nate this is the kind of feedback I've been looking for and others who have chimed in. My issue is trying to find a used 2.3 TVS, after thinking about it I don't want to do a Shebly GT500 and swap everything around, My biggest concern with the 2.9 was missing out on that low to mid range punch the 2.3 has and not able to get much superchager whine due to it not being spun hard enough.

Seems like with the later gen whipples this does not seem to be an issue as it was in the past. My only experience is with the Eaton and I only want to buy a blower upgrade once so I want to be sure its best suited for what I want overall and if the 2.9 can do that and still give me room to grow its a win win.

Please keep us posted on your numbers when you get them. That's pretty much the same set up Id like to go with ( 93* , long tubes, working on upgrading the fuel system for early spring time 2021 )

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 8:02 PM
  10. thatdude305

thatdude305 Active Member Established Member

Are you talking about a 2.9 Whipple?

11. NateDogg

NateDogg Terminator Established Member

I prefer the 2.9, yes.

If anyone is looking for 2.3 TVS
    ...POSI just posted one Facebook.

fec56cbc261dd710228c97fc10891895.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

12. BlckBox04

BlckBox04 I am the liquor Established Member

My 2.9 pulls throughout the entire power band.
    If you get the tune spot on you’re going to feel it all the time.

Venom351R likes this.