Which Oil Cooler Do I Have? (Pix)

buffhomer

Lurker
Established Member
Got this engine for my Coyote swap from a guy who was gonna put it in a drift car, he said it came out of an '11GT. I don't recognize this oil cooler and can't find any info on it, what option it is or anything. The engine is definitely not from a truck. Any help is appreciated!

w0ix.jpg

qqdi.jpg

5oj4.jpg

buffhomer

Lurker
Established Member
What markings/numbers should I look for? I know the truck intakes don't even have bosses for the engine cover, this one had the regular Coyote intake and cover. I've pulled the intake for a CJ intake swap.

Here's the engine when I got it:

ue5x.jpg

Last edited:

george.arnold

Established Member
Previous owner could have just swapped intake manifolds. No help on the oil cooler from me though. Sorry.

buffhomer

Lurker
Established Member
True, would like to figure it out so I know which direction to go with mods.

**edit** Managed to talk to the guy I got it from, said the oil cooler came off another engine at the yard he got this one from. What can I look at on the block/heads/etc. to see that the engine's from a car and not a truck?

Last edited:

buffhomer

Lurker
Established Member
No it didn't; now that I got a hold of the guy he said he got it as a long block and had to source the rest of the parts. If it's a truck motor that's fine cause that'll just be the deciding factor on whether to do cams.

Last edited:

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The prefix BL3E indicates it is from a F150 application. If it were on a Mustang it would have R3E in the prefix with the first digit indicating the first year of use B=2011, C=2012 using Ford's new prefix system they started in 99-00 to bring the numbering systems in line with the rest of the world.

The 6884 basic number just indicates it is an oil filter adapter, I am not at work, but most likely teh service part number would have 6881 on it. The cooler should have 6A642 somewhere on it.

Off Topic, but if you see a prefix with _R2_ that would indicate it was meant for a Falcon, there are parts sold in the US that were originally used on Falcon models.

Last edited:

buffhomer

Lurker
Established Member
Awesome info bdcardinal, thank you. Would that translate to the block/heads as well? I know the cooler came off another motor but wanna be sure if the actual longblock is from a truck as well. I've found several stamped, etched and cast numbers on the block and heads but don't know which ones matter.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Take pics of the numbers on the block and heads. That will tell if it's a truck motor or a mustang motor.

buffhomer

Lurker
Established Member
Driver cam cover:
4v6t.jpg

Passenger bottom rear of block:
mbvs.jpg

Rear of block @ intake mounting surface:
eqcu.jpg

Driver front bottom of block:
yqct.jpg

Driver head:
o3ob.jpg

87hatchy

Established Member
**edit** Managed to talk to the guy I got it from, said the oil cooler came off another engine at the yard he got this one from.

LOL guy is probably full of sh!t and doesn't want to admit its a truck engine. Don't believe everything a seller says

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
BR3E on the 2nd picture indicates it is from a Mustang. But i am not sure if they use the same block casting number on both applications. As far as switching oil coolers, Ford strongly recommends to NOT do that. Anytime we replace an engine we are required by Ford to replace the oil cooler assembly due to possible metal contamination that cannot be cleaner out.

Users who are viewing this thread