Which oil and tranny fluid?

lilredcoupe

Established Member
Ok so I just recently purchased a bone stock 2011 GT500 with 2300 miles. I have been out of the game for a while, 12 years to be exact. My last ride was a '99 Cobra that I sold in 2002. The bug bit me again and I already have a 2.6 pulley, JLT CAI, X4 , 170 thermostat and heat exchanger on the way. I have the dreaded 1-2 grind which I am taking in on Monday to get fixed , I hope. I ordered a MGW shifter which the tranny tech is going to install for me. My main question is what oil and filter should I run and what tranny fluid should I give them to put in when they refill the tranny? I have seen a lot about Amsoil and that seems to be the oil of choice for a lot of folks. The car will be an occasional driver (2K-5K a year) and will see track duty every once in a while. I will be looking to add a Whipple or KB but that will be down the road. I live in Texas so keep that in mind. Also, if Amsoil is the best, where do I find it? Is it sold OTC or online only? I really appreciate the feedback and look forward to your comments.

Thx

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Glad you are back in the game. If you want the best oil around, use Amsoil Signature Series. There is a way to sign up as a dealer (for a fee) and you get special pricing on the oil. If you want the best oil for the money, get Pennzoil Ultra. As far as filters, if you want a good filter for the money, go with the $4 Motorcraft. If you want a great filter at a good price, through the end of April, Napa is selling their Platinum filters for $7.50 instead of the usual $12.50. Otherwise the Amsoil and Royal Purple filters are the same and they are very good. Even the Fram Ultra is now a good filter and can be found easily for around $9.

As far as the transmission, some guys say their T56 shifts better with Pennzoil Synchromesh, or you could just stick with regular old Dexron III ATF and it'll be fine as well.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Factory Fill is 6.5 quarts (stock oil pan) and 8 quarts with an aftermarket oil pan.

Amsoil XL 10W-40 – Use this if you have the stock 192* thermostat, or you road race your car for extended sessions. This lubricant requires changing every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occur first.

Amsoil 10W-30 – Use this if you have the Reisch 170* thermostat, and you do NOT road race your car. Street brawls and drag racing is OK with this lubricant. This lubricant requires changing every 12 months or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first.

Amsoil RD30 - alternate replacement for the best anti-wear protection for serious GT500's that are over 650-700 rwhp, using the 170* thermostat, and especially an E85 car. This lubricant requires changing every 6 months or 5,000 miles, whichever occur first.

Amsoil EaO11 oil filter - 98.7% efficiency @ 20 microns, yet still flow better than a Motorcraft FL-820 (only 93.7% efficiency @ 20 microns).

Make your T6060 transmission shift like butter.

Amsoil Synthetic ATF - 3.6 quart fill (buy a gallon and use the left over fluid in your power steering pump)

Bottle Hand Pump - fits quarts and gallons (makes refilling the transmission and rear differential very easy)

For your rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - 2.5 quart fill – buy 3 quarts to make sure you have enough.

Friction modifier is required in the factory differential. Use all 4 ounces

Amsoil Slip Lock - 1 bottle required

Maybe in the future you would be interested to know how well your engine is performing internally. It's also a good community contribution to the UOA chart I have been putting together. All help is appreciated.

UOA testing kit

UOA Thread

and never pay retail price for it. Get it at dealer cost by adding this to your cart before you check out (save 25-30% on everything). Use the one year option.

Preferred Customer

Users who are viewing this thread