Which mod?

KillrCobra

Established Member
I've got a 96 Cobra and so far it only has a mac cat-back, o/r h-pipe, 3.73, and K&N. I'm looking for some real power. Not sure if I want to just add an S-trim or add some ported heads, intake, and cams. If I built the motor first then who makes some good heads for my car??? It's just hard to believe that a s/c isn't going to beat the hell out of my car. Any suggestions??

- Joe

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
If you stick with the supercharger kit's specifications you should have no problem with it. The engine is strong enough to handle the factory setup for supercharger kits. As far as beating the hell out of your engine. That all depends on how you drive the car, if you are constantly spooling boost on the engine then yes it's going to beat on it. But it's possible to have a supercharger and never have any side effects.

Last edited:

kwiksnake

Established Member
No one makes heads for the Cobra's dude. You can get heads that are already ported but thats about your only option. These new ones aren't like the 5.0's where you can get a whole slew of better in takes and heads. What you have is pretty much what you are going to get, and unless you are going to put out serious horsepower, porting the heads and intake doesn't account for much of a gain.

KillrCobra

Established Member
Actually, Sean Hyland(www.seanhylandmotorsport.com) makes heads, cams, intakes, pistons, etc. for both GT and Cobra 4.6s. I was just wondering if ported heads and intake, and the right set of cams would make my car respond better to boost. Basically if it would be worth the cash. Thanks.

- Joe

kwiksnake

Established Member
He doesn't make heads though, they are factory heads just like the ones already on your car, the only difference is they are ported. Depends on if you think its worth the money or not. You will spend about $4000 for all that for 30 hp. Doesn't seem economical to me.

KillrCobra

Established Member
kwiksnake,
Also, I've had people tell me that putting the 99,01 Cobra heads on my car helps. Would you recommend me getting a TB and pullies also? I've also had many people telling me to ditch the 3.73s and get 4.30s. Any suggestions on that? Thanks for the help.

- Joe

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by KillrCobra
Actually, Sean Hyland(www.seanhylandmotorsport.com) makes heads, cams, intakes, pistons, etc. for both GT and Cobra 4.6s. I was just wondering if ported heads and intake, and the right set of cams would make my car respond better to boost. Basically if it would be worth the cash. Thanks.

- Joe

If you are sticking with the 6 - 8 lbs of boost most kits offer out of the box then it's not that economical.

However, If you go with more boost and get your heads ported and get a matching cam to accent the amount of boost your are running then yes it's worth the money. That's only if you are trying to go for some real power though.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The 99 & up heads are beter than ours. They are a nice replacement if you want to spend the money. If you want to do boost and don't want to spend a ton of money avoid the heads, cam, and intake idea.

The cams are a good increase in HP an a blower car IF you get the blower cams though They gain about 30rwhp on a blown car. They cut out the valve overlap. Thus increaseing the hp by not losing boost pressure through both valves being open for a brief period. They are like $1000 before taxes , shipping or installation though. Kind of pricey I think , but worth the money if you need every pony hiding in the stock heads. If you'd rather save the extra mone and just buy the 10 PSI aftercooled kit from vortech that would be good too. Still maintains the ability to run pump gas and won't hurt the car if it stays in the safe zone as far as the fuel/spark curve is concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread