Which makes more power/safer? Timing or boost?

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
Now I know most people won't be able to answer this but enough people have been tuned and been dyno'd to be able to add a logical amount of input to this.

On a kb/whipple set up is more boost at lower timing or higher timing at lower boost going to yeild more tq/ hp?

I ask because I am currently at 11 degrees timing (with plently of room to step up to about 15 degrees) at 14 psi. I'm wondering if I should pop on the 3.25 upper I have and rock out the 16 psi or up the timing and see where I stand against others running more boost. I have a friend in Tucson running 16psi and 15 or so degrees timing but he's got long tubes and I don't know how much those are helping him with the 16psi.

I know there is a calculation for bar pressure over na hp = estimated hp increse of 1.75 times or something like that, my turbo skills have fllen off... I can't tell u how to calc speaker box enclosure cubic footage anymore and I used to own my own shop, get that!

Anyone with some good insight?

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
intresting question.......I have no idea, so I will watch and see:??:

IneritaSVT

Fuel Slut
Established Member
I run both on my stock block with my whipple (with the right octane) 20 degrees and 19lbs. But on the street boost will make more power safely then more timing. You can run 16lbs all day long at 14-15 degrees of timing.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
as some of the hardcore LS GM guys say... high boost high timing high compression high octane... high power :beer: boost over timing any day. i picked up more power per pound of boost while leave the time alone on my transam vs raising boost and timing or raising boost and lowering timing.

IneritaSVT

Fuel Slut
Established Member
I run 17* timing and 17# KB boost on my stock block. A/F is important if not right then u go boom.

AF's are only one of the factors, Timing is how people get in trouble with these trucks. Hell when I realized i had a bad pump I was doing a 110 and and my af's were in the mid 13s but what helped keep me safe was the fact I only run 10 degrees of timing

Taunto

Established Member
19lbs of boost on a stock block? you must live life on the edge lol... Hows it holdin up so far?

ive heard the same with 14-15* of timing with 16lbs of boost is no problem on a stock block in our trucks

IneritaSVT

Fuel Slut
Established Member
19lbs of boost on a stock block? you must live life on the edge lol... Hows it holdin up so far?

ive heard the same with 14-15* of timing with 16lbs of boost is no problem on a stock block in our trucks

I only crank it up with that much boost for the track, and i run 9lbs on the street. My buddy kevin has scene as much a 23 lbs on his stock block it all about the tune and fuel you keep these engines from knocking they will hold more then you think.

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
I run 17* timing and 17# KB boost on my stock block. A/F is important if not right then u go boom.

The new motor in your sig is....? :shrug: haha kidding

I was thinking it might hold together at higher boost with the whip due to cooler charge temps, I have a w/b and a/f's are in the 11's (low) right now so I figure pretty safe. On these tires I casn't get more than 5 psi into it bfore they break from a roll so I'm happy but my track tune will be interesting. And I'm tuning the truck myself via sniper commando and my wideband. with the input of other tuners.

Users who are viewing this thread