which hood is better?!

baller1svtcobra

Established Member
i cant decide on what hood to buy guys! its either an 03/04 cobra hood or a cobra R hood... the cobra im getting is black,, any black cobras out there pls post pics!! anyone with either hood post pics as well pls!!

snakeraper11b

Established Member
i cant decide on what hood to buy guys! its either an 03/04 cobra hood or a cobra R hood... the cobra im getting is black,, any black cobras out there pls post pics!! anyone with either hood post pics as well pls!!

The 03 04 is more functional for decreasing front end lift at speed and evacuating heat from the engine bay. A lot of guys like the cowl look on the 99-01 front end that you get with the Cobra R combination. Unless you are worried about heat management or aerodynamics, its a purely cosmetic decision and up to your taste. One thing to consider though, if you buy an OEM 03-04 hood, you'll have a small gap on top of the front bumper. The cervinis replica will not have the gap if you take that route.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The only thing about the R hood is it can be a nuisance when you're having to navigate around and make right hand turns. It really depends on how tall you are. I'm 6'1" and when my dad had his 00R it was hard to make right hand turns sometimes because I had a hard time seeing the curb.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
I don't have a hard time seeing over my 00R hood. Looks awesome too.

heres a pic
837CC236-9B5A-4550-89F0-9979CF8CECCC-7267-000008E47DFAA407.jpg

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
^ nice...

but now the confusion (for me)

OP: which cobra r hood are you thinking about!!
The '95 or the 2000??

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
The '00R hood can be a REAL heat extracting hood. The Terminator hood vents are too far forward to let enough heat out. Thumbs up for the H.O. Fibertrends hood - it's the one FRPP sells - got mine for $375.

Had my vents opened up to really let the heat out. Will be painted and mounted shortly.

333_zpsbc188a74.jpg

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The '00R hood can be a REAL heat extracting hood. The Terminator hood vents are too far forward to let enough heat out. Thumbs up for the H.O. Fibertrends hood - it's the one FRPP sells - got mine for $375.

Had my vents opened up to really let the heat out. Will be painted and mounted shortly.

333_zpsbc188a74.jpg

That's not right. The 03/04 hood vents sit behind and above the radiator. The terminator hood vents are also far enough forward of the high pressure area at the base of the windshield to not cram high pressure air into the lower pressure area underneath the hood. Which isn't what you want if you car is not carbureted. Look at any professional road race cars and see where the opening in the hood are at.

I had a '00 R hood on my road race car and switched to the more functional 03/04 cobra hood.

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
The '00R hood can be a REAL heat extracting hood. The Terminator hood vents are too far forward to let enough heat out.
333_zpsbc188a74.jpg

The 03-04 cobra has it's vents on the forward 1/3rd of the hood, where they should be. Sean Hyland quoted that the hood decreases front end lift by over 160 lbs at high speeds....yeah, seems really poorly designed compared to that 00R errr REAL heat extractor :dw:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Cervinis makes an '03/04 hood that fits the 99/01 bumper cover. I have the lift off version of their 03/04 hood on my race car that I converted to a hinged hood. 22 lbs of lightness versus the 45 lbs that their 00r hood weighed. No gaps at the bumper opening either.

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
That's not right. The 03/04 hood vents sit behind and above the radiator. The terminator hood vents are also far enough forward of the high pressure area at the base of the windshield to not cram high pressure air into the lower pressure area underneath the hood. Which isn't what you want if you car is not carbureted. Look at any professional road race cars and see where the opening in the hood are at.

I had a '00 R hood on my road race car and switched to the more functional 03/04 cobra hood.

Were we talking about road racing? For a car that is primarily street driven, the excess heat is going to get out with vents that are further back. The original Terminator hoods had the vents placed way forward, then they were moved towards the back of the hood, and ended up more forward due to appearance considerations.

If I was motivated, I'd look for pics of one of Racebronco's hood with the extra venting, but I'm not...

The 03-04 cobra has it's vents on the forward 1/3rd of the hood, where they should be. Sean Hyland quoted that the hood decreases front end lift by over 160 lbs at high speeds....yeah, seems really poorly designed compared to that 00R errr REAL heat extractor :dw:

Yeah, I'll remember that the next time I decide to go really fast.

Users who are viewing this thread