Which FRONT lower control arms should I get for my '08 GT500?

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Which front lower control arms and ball joints should I get for my '08 GT500? After the BMR weld failures in the past, I'm not interested in that route. I know Ford updated them at some point so looking for suggestions. I plan on using the Maximum Motorsports bump steer kit.

89Saleen215

Established Member
If you are still running the FRPP springs then I would just use the Steeda X5 ball joints and the KB/FRPP hi-temp extended shank tie-rod ends to get your front roll center height back up where it should be. Works for me...less understeer. I'm still using the OEM lca. Whiteline makes an anti-dive kit you could install using your OEM lca too...if that's part of what you are trying to correct.

Just my .02.

Speedboosted

Established Member
If you are still running the FRPP springs then I would just use the Steeda X5 ball joints and the KB/FRPP hi-temp extended shank tie-rod ends to get your front roll center height back up where it should be. Works for me...less understeer. I'm still using the OEM lca. Whiteline makes an anti-dive kit you could install using your OEM lca too...if that's part of what you are trying to correct.

Just my .02.

Where in Washington are you?

OP, what is your goal for this car?

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Since Ford updated the control arms, I'd like to at least get to the current Ford spec but am willing to consider aftermarket options as well.

Imatk

Established Member
Since Ford updated the control arms, I'd like to at least get to the current Ford spec but am willing to consider aftermarket options as well.

When did they update them?

I have an '07

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
When did they update them?

I have an '07

FORD:
2005-2010 Mustang ISSUE:

Some 2005-2010 Mustang 4.0L/4.6L, 2007-2010 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles built on or before 8/3/2009 may exhibit a grunt/creak/squeak/chirp noise from the lower control arm hydro bushing. The grunt/creak noise may occur over large vertical bumps like speed bumps and pot holes. The squeak/chirp noise may occur over bumps rough roads, and driveway approaches.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.Use chassis ears on the lower control arm hydro bushing bracket tabs to verify noise is coming from the hydro bushing.
1.If the noise is confirmed, then proceed to Step 2.
2.If the noise is not confirmed, then this procedure does not apply. Proceed with normal Workshop Manual (WSM) diagnostics.

2.Late production lower control arms were equipped with a 0.75" (19 mm) ball joint shaft and improved hydro bushing. Early production vehicles used an 0.71" (18 mm) ball joint shafts. Using a suitable caliper measure the ball joint shaft.
1.If the measurement is 0.75" (19 mm) this procedure does not apply and follow normal diagnostics in WSM Section 100-04.
2.If the ball joint shaft measures 0.71" (18 mm) an improved service lower control arm with improved hydro bushing is available. Follow WSM section 204-01 to replace.

PART NUMBER PART NAME 9R3Z-3078-A Arm Asy-Front Suspension - Right Hand (Excludes GT 500) 9R3Z-3079-A Arm Asy-Front Suspension - Left Hand (Excludes GT 500) AR3Z-3078-A Arm Asy-Front Suspension - Right Hand (GT 500) AR3Z-3079-A Arm Asy-Front Suspension - Left Hand (GT 500) WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME 092416A2005-2010 Mustang: Replace One (1) Lower Control Arm, Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.2 Hrs. 092416B2005-2010 Mustang: Replace Two (2) Lower Control Arms, Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.5 Hrs. DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE 3078 12

Last edited:

Imatk

Established Member
So I guess I'd need a caliper to even tell.

I know I had the crap ones on my '06 because they started to creak when I stopped at lights and whatnot.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If your car was built before 8/3/2009, you have the small ball joint and old style hyrdro bushing.

Users who are viewing this thread