Which Exhaust for 2011 GT?

BlackStang 5.0

Established Member
I just helped my neighbor buy his 5.0 on friday, and now he's entrusting me to select an exhaust for him. I'm a former motorcycle mechanic and have been working on his bike for him. I'm also a car fiend, but typically have been more into the import scene. I have to admit this new 5.0 has me wanting to ditch my 2008 civic Si! Finally, a mustang that out of the box, the import guys can respect and froth over. Managed to get $1k off MSRP for a GT Premium manual trans with Brembo pkg, 3:73 gears, and the comfort pkg(which we didn't need, but supply was tight here in San Diego). Probably only 12 GT's in San Diego, all Premiums which is what we wanted

Anyway, not a lot of exhaust options out there yet, but looking at Magnaflows stuff. Can't decide between axle back mufflers($650), axle-back muffler delete with tips($469), or cat-back with mufflers($750-$800). He wants to hear it rumble, but not piss off the neighbors/cops. My manager at work has a 2008 Shelby GT500 with muffler delete and it sounds awesome. My other co-worker did a muffler delete on his 2003 GT and it also sounds fine....not too loud. Bearable IMO. Haven't gotten under the new car yet to peek at what it's got for resonators. What do you guys think? Still want to be able to enjoy the stereo when cruising and use the bluetooth. Are the muffler delete's going to be too loud? I told him to try the muff deletes and if it's too loud, we could always sell them for a small loss. I'm afraid if we play it safe, it won't be loud enough:shrug:

Also, if we're going to muffler delete, why not just hack off the OEM muffs at the local exhaust shop and have the guys weld on 2 feet of pipe with some tips for half the price? Only downside is that if we don't like that, we're forced to ditch it and buy something anyway, which we could still buy the axle-backs since the weld would be post axle-backs. Other downside is that I occasionally see sloppy exhaust hanging on custom setups. I'd hate to have the tips all crooked or hanging unevenly.

Also, I know that MMR's intake is gaining 20hp or so. Will adding the straight thru mufflers on the 5.0 help much?

Help please =)

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
tell him that you'll probably have to wait a little while before there is a good selection of cat back choices, because ford redid their cat back mounting/connecting/whatever set up on the '11 cars. it's not a big deal, just gotta give the aftermarket a little time to catch up to the changes.
also consider that the coyote 5.0l doesn't share a whole lot with the older generation of mod motors, so you probably won't be able to use a 4.6l or 5.4l as a reference.

having said all of that, i've always loved the SLP loudmouth pipes(essentially muffler deletes) on the mod motors, though they may be a little loud for him.

Unoid

Established Member
I would cut out two of the 4 cats (rears) then weld in the magnaflow Bullet style muffles.

BlackStang 5.0

Established Member
You make it seem like you are "life partners" or something.

Nah, he's just a good buddy, and he's a successful financial planner. His time is more well spent doing his job rather than spending hours researching parts online trying to get the best part/price. It's my hobby, plus it's almost like I get to mod a car with someone else's money, and I get to drive it whenever. Don't worry, I'm married happily for 13 years with 2 kids.

I just called a local muffler shop that I've been going to for almost 20 years and I'm just going to have them do the muffler delete. Got quoted $160 total to cut off the muffs and pipe to the rear re-using the OEM tips. Not sure I want to re-use the OE tips though in case I ever want to Re-mount the mufflers at a later date. The bend from the muffler to the exhaust exit on the bumper is not that severe...thinking only maybe a 15 degree at most. These guys just have press bending equip like most muffler shops. I'm under the impression that the OEM exhaust is a 2.75" In which case I'll have them run 3" piping for the delete, shrinking the part attatching where the mufflers clamped on for a slip fit then weld, and maybe running no tips on the rear, but spreading it to 3 1/2" with a slash cut exit? Thoughts?

It just seems that paying $460 for the magnaflow muffler delete is paying an extra $300 to buy me the option of re-clamping my OEM exhaust whenever that day may arise. I also figure that if my buddy thinks it's too loud, that we can still weld in some mufflers for less than the total cost of the magnaflow axle-back setup with mufflers which is $650! Plus, we neeed to use the money saved for a MMR stage 2 intake. My buddy is more worried about sound, I'm more worried about performance.

And like the Evo owner stated above, I dig this new 5.0. I used to have an AWD eclipse that ran mid 12's on pump gas and had a license plate that read 'V8SPANKR'. Mostly just to get races because no import would race me knowing that it was fast, and no V8 would take me seriously cause I was an import. Needless to say it worked. Spanked some V8's but did get beat by a few too. Ran 8.0's in the 1/8 mile.

Last edited:

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
IMO Borla mufflers with cats are the best sounding modular exhaust.

But that's just my opinion.

I also don't think they've come out with theirs yet.

Boogeyman347

Established Member
FLOWMASTER ....they should be coming soon......it'l sound sick with some 44's runnin through an Xpipe, thats what i run on my notch.
Do the cheap delete for now n go from there........ i also favor the slashcutz.... Good Luck & POST some vids

BlackStang 5.0

Established Member
Been looking at lots of youtube clips. Hard to tell as the mic on cell phone cams or digital cams is pretty low tech and everybody's mic placement is different. Appt at the exhaust shop in 20 minutes. I'll let you know how it turns out!

BlackStang 5.0

Established Member
Ok, Exhaust is on, looks great. The stock exhasut tubing is 2.75". Had them cut off the OEM mufflers right at the inlet, and weld 3" piping and they used the stock exhaust tips. I'm in SoCal, so labor is a bit higher, but these guys were precision. I've spent some time looking for any unevenness, and can't see any. Perfect spacing and everything.

On startup, it's obviously a tad louder but surprisingly quiet. Once the idle settles down in a few seconds, the difference from stock is hardly perceptible. Revving it up gives it an obvious volume increase, but things get even louder when getting on it in gear, but never to unnacceptable levels IMO. The low resonance really carries down the block as I could hear him a 100 yards away when he got on it, but only as a faint background noise...much less offensive than a fart-canned equipped Honda Civic. Also, it's my understanding that cops are much more tolerant of domestic muscle cars.

The OEM mufflers are fairly heavy, probably close to 20lbs each. I'll get them on the scale and let you guys know here in the next day or so. Probably saved another 35lbs off the car. They charged me $200 which is a bit higher than they originally quoted me, but still $250 less than the magnaflow axle-back muffler deletes we were looking at, and $450 cheaper than their axle-back muffler equipped setup. I think at this point, the owner is happy with the sound. Got a phone call on his SYNC while we were driving back home on the freeway. Not a problem. Exhaust didn't affect the ability to hear or speak at all, and also with the stereo on at a reasonable volume, the music covered the exhaust sound. No droning on the hwy either. The owner(my friend) is very pleased, and I'm very jealous. Just too cool.

I think if someone does want to do some magnaflows on this thing, go with some shorter ones, otherwise it might be too quiet. I may try to get some video of it up here in the next day or two, but for now it's on to the MMR intake stg 2, and he's bent on getting some tailight tint seen here:

Mustang Parts & Performance - StangMods

Last edited:

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Bad ass... So hows it drive and what you think of the tranny? A couple of guys at S197Forums are complaining that they are having difficulty powershifting..

BlackStang 5.0

Established Member
Well, it's my friend's car, but so not sure about the tranny. I've only driven it a few miles under break-in and powershifting would be for a close race or at the track.

2013Boss302

Established Member
so for this car the mufflers were removed, and its straight pipe out the back? im wondering cause i want to get an exhaust for mine when i get it, ive looked at the magnaflow systems but 1k seems steep, my friend owns san pedro muffler in southern california. i was wondering if i should go see him and have him build me a full catback. he did the exhaust on my evo and it sounded great. and another question for this car the xpipe is an h pipe from the facotry?

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
i will be going with Magnaflow. i have them on the Challenger and the lightning and think they sounded awesome of my friends 06 GT.

unless of course corsa makes an exhaust then i will most likely go with them. lol

HighPSI

Established Member
Magnaflow is always the bast way to go IMO. Sound and perfomance is awesome! Plus I'm pretty sure they are the first ones to have 2011 systems?

Users who are viewing this thread