Which direction to go?

SilverNotch

Established Member
I'm trying to figure out what direction I want to go with my car. I just redid my 01 cobra seats and carpet. I rebuilt the irs with all ftbr parts and frpp cover. Now I'm getting new wheels and after the wheels I'm planning on figuring out my motor combo. I was dead set on a single or twin turbo kit but, now it seems as though a coyote swap in n/a form may be better. I'd even consider an eaton swap as well for the right price. I just want it to be reliable and powerful. I'd like to hear some opinions of those that have done various boosted and coyote swaps to see what they felt about the outcome. What would you have done differently with what you know about the finished outcome of your swap?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Have you priced out a Coyote swap? I only know of a couple people that have done them. And they were in S197 platforms. It didn't seem cheap.

SilverNotch

Established Member
Have you priced out a Coyote swap? I only know of a couple people that have done them. And they were in S197 platforms. It didn't seem cheap.

I think they will get cheaper with them being offered in trucks and every gt. I know it sounds superficial when it comes to numbers but they aren't as nice looking as dohc 4.6 motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think they will get cheaper with them being offered in trucks and every gt. I know it sounds superficial when it comes to numbers but they aren't as nice looking as dohc 4.6 motors.

I have friends that talk about doing the swap. My issue is its still a stock engine. If you're planning on making big power it'll still need upgrades. So now you're into it for the swap plus upgraded parts plus whatever power adder. I'd stick with the 4.6 and upgrade it.

SilverNotch

Established Member
I have friends that talk about doing the swap. My issue is its still a stock engine. If you're planning on making big power it'll still need upgrades. So now you're into it for the swap plus upgraded parts plus whatever power adder. I'd stick with the 4.6 and upgrade it.

Yeah I was thinking that too. Then I'd have to decide on a power adder too.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm a centri guy, but if you don't have to deal with smog upgrade the rods and pistons, put a good single turbo on it and enjoy it.

Ironmancuck

Banned
Established Member
I was dead set on a single or twin turbo kit but, now it seems as though a coyote swap in n/a form may be better. I'd even consider an eaton swap as well for the right price. I just want it to be reliable and powerful.

You mention reliability and cost as concerns so that would disqualify a turbo kit. coyote swap would be expensive as well, but reliable. In my opinion, The cost effective and reliable way to go would be to rebuild the current 4.6 and then add a reasonably priced blower kit and you are done.

SilverNotch

Established Member
It seems in n/a form boltons the coyote seem to be upwards of 500hp. So I'm throwing that out there. In the case of my 4.6 I'd have to rebuild to fortify the bottom end plus buy a power adder.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What do you consider bolt ons to hit 500? Are you talking at the wheel or at the crank?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't have a lot of Coyote experience, but I think you're going to need ported heads and higher compression as well.

There was a guy at a big local show making a little over 500rwhp. It was basically a race engine being spun over 8k.

Not trying to deter you or anything. It's your car and your money. Just wanting looking from all angles.

SilverNotch

Established Member
I understand I just want a streetable, reliable fun car. Don't get me wrong my 01 cobra starship s quick but quite slow compared to my last foxbodies. I need more power.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Right now I have a big bore stroker with custom cams, ported heads, Sullivan intake, ect ect. Makes about 450 to the wheels and spins to 8 grand. While I love it, I built it to do track days, my 350 rwhp stock bottom end with FR500 intake and cams was more fun on the street. Just one more thing to think about. If you are just looking for a fun street car, an Eaton swap or even an entry level centri, like a P1SC(though I think they have a newer version now) would probably suit you just fine. Keep the boost around 8 psi and your stock shortblock will last a while. However, I would save and be prepared for an eventual rebuild if not do it all at one time. If you look at a lot of the guys on here who have made big power, either NA or boosted, most don't drive those cars much anymore or even sell them and get something else. That big dyno sheet is cool to have, but living with it day to day is something different entirely. Beware that these cars were not built to handle that much power, things will break. Do you have the budget for that too? Fuel system, transmission, rear end, brakes, cooling system, chassis reinforcement, tires, ect.

SilverNotch

Established Member
Right now I have a big bore stroker with custom cams, ported heads, Sullivan intake, ect ect. Makes about 450 to the wheels and spins to 8 grand. While I love it, I built it to do track days, my 350 rwhp stock bottom end with FR500 intake and cams was more fun on the street. Just one more thing to think about. If you are just looking for a fun street car, an Eaton swap or even an entry level centri, like a P1SC(though I think they have a newer version now) would probably suit you just fine. Keep the boost around 8 psi and your stock shortblock will last a while. However, I would save and be prepared for an eventual rebuild if not do it all at one time. If you look at a lot of the guys on here who have made big power, either NA or boosted, most don't drive those cars much anymore or even sell them and get something else. That big dyno sheet is cool to have, but living with it day to day is something different entirely. Beware that these cars were not built to handle that much power, things will break. Do you have the budget for that too? Fuel system, transmission, rear end, brakes, cooling system, chassis reinforcement, tires, ect.

I agree the high hp cars you pretty much have to own a speed shop. There are always a lot for sale. I'm thinking an eaton swap would be the easiest. My concern is heat.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I don't have any heat problems with my Eaton swapped car. I'm on the stock pulley though.

SilverNotch

Established Member
I don't have any heat problems with my Eaton swapped car. I'm on the stock pulley though.

Seems like eaton swap would be easiest on my 01. I could always do a blower swap later. Turbo setup would require less in that I have the intake setup everyone uses.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Easiest would be a blower because you can buy everything in one kit. If you are patient and pay close attention to the stickies, the Eaton swap can be cheaper. As long as you are running the IC and not open tracking the car, heat will not be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread